PDA

View Full Version : What can this lens be used for ?

bully74uk
8th September 2008, 09:09 PM
Its the sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro EX DG HSM

http://www.parkcameras.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/4169/groupID/14/categoryID/70/v/a9b1974e-3a21-481f-a52c-4c6a6e98fcf6

Is it simply a telephoto Macro lens or is it a telephoto with Macro capabilities ?

Im confused because its 150mm and some of the other macro lenses go as wide as 24mm ?

Could this lens be used for sport photography for example or nature shots ?

Gazza_DJ
8th September 2008, 09:36 PM
I may be wrong, but i think as long as the magnification values of a macro lens is the same the focal length just defines your working distance?

JohnGG
8th September 2008, 10:24 PM
IIRC from the Sigma brochure, it is a true macro lens, being able to reproduce life-sized images. For macro work, such a lens will allow you to stay further away from your subject which may give two advantages: less risk of spooking nervous insects; less chance of shading your subject from the light. The lens will also double as a bright, longish telephoto lens (300 mm equivalent on 35mm film).

If Olympus don't come up with a long macro lens soon I will give serious consideration to getting this lens :)

Cheers,

JohnGG

blu-by-u
9th September 2008, 01:54 AM
Give the Sigma 105/2.8 a try. Cheaper and smaller that the 150 but very sharp.

bully74uk
9th September 2008, 06:47 AM
The lens will also double as a bright, longish telephoto lens (300 mm equivalent on 35mm film).

So apart from Macro I would also be able to use this lens as a fast telephoto to take shots of my lad playing football without any issues ?

If so then it may suit my needs just fine.

theMusicMan
9th September 2008, 06:56 AM
So apart from Macro I would also be able to use this lens as a fast telephoto to take shots of my lad playing football without any issues ?

If so then it may suit my needs just fine.Yep, you would be able to do this.*chr

Jim Ford
9th September 2008, 07:42 AM
The 150mm Sigma macro is generally highly rated for performance, but some users complain that it's very heavy and difficult to hold steady (NB - I don't own one).

Jim

HughofBardfield
9th September 2008, 08:17 AM

If so then it may suit my needs just fine.

Errrr... not necessarily. I actually have the Sig 105 (and endorse blu-by-u's comments above), but I have no reason to suppose the 150 is any different.

The fact that it is a true macro lens means that it has a very wide focal range. Even with the (fitted) focus limiter switch, that means it can hunt like mad before finding focus, even in good conditions. The Sigmas are very good short telephotos for relatively static subjects (one of the regular contributers to one of the Flickr Groups I Admin regularly posts very good bird pics taken with his, for eg - see http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigmafourthirds/ ).

I'm not saying you couldn't use it for sports shots, but I think you would be better off with a lens designed for distance work.

bully74uk
9th September 2008, 11:40 AM
OK, Thanks for all the info.

I can get relatively good "snap" shots of the lads football from the 40-150 kit lens as long as there is reasonble light so its not a major requirement.

I was more interested to know if/what this lens could be used for in addition to macro (if of course there are any other uses)

So I could obviously use it for macro;) and probably nature shots where the subject is quite still or slow moving.