PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Review.

paullus
25th September 2013, 06:30 PM
Hello all you expectant EM-1 owners.
If you're anything like me you have a craving for any information on your eagerly awaited new arrival
(Sorry but I'm an expectant grandfather for the first time so I'm being a bit ante-natal LOL)
Anyway I've found another in-depth review of the E-M1 and some more of it's hidden secrets are revealed such as its built in intervalometer. This enables the E-M1 to be set to take 999 images at time intervals from one shot every second to one every 24 hours.
It can be found here.
http://www.ayton.id.au/wiki/doku.php?id=photo:kl:em1_wisdom_matures

PS What I really like at the moment is the deafening sound of silence from so called experts queuing to denigrate the E-M1, unlike when I bought my E500, E520, E620, E3 & E5! :D

Enjoy.

PeterBirder
25th September 2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks for this.

Not so much a review as an insight into much of the rationale behind the design of the new camera. A very interesting read, even though I'm not expecting to swap my E-M5 for an E-M1.:)

Regards.*chr

Phill D
25th September 2013, 08:41 PM
Yes definitely an interesting read. Thanks for posting the link.

OM USer
26th September 2013, 10:35 AM
This was a good read.

I wonder if ian has any insights on why they changed from OLED rear screen (on E-M5) back to LED? OLED is reputed to have brighter colours and less energy consumption - surely a good thing.

Ian
26th September 2013, 10:53 AM
OLED is expensive and LCD improvements practically match OLED in most areas. The E-M1 LCD screen is just as good as the E-M5 OLED one as far as I can see.

Ian

Ross the fiddler
26th September 2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks for this. It'll be some more bed time reading. :)

*chr

jamsa
26th September 2013, 05:54 PM
... and perhaps another...http://youtu.be/B4VM1MTzGfE

Chevvyf1
26th September 2013, 07:22 PM
I searched on the Tube and found about 11 vids on the new ONE - most from independent reviews & dealers - but all great !

Thanks Paullus *chr for this hotlink http://www.ayton.id.au/wiki/doku.php?id=photo:kl:em1_wisdom_matures

THIS one is very interesting on "lens development" and I extracted this from it

" Olympus merely says ‘wide-zoom’ and ‘telephoto’ but I’ll add the word ‘fast’ onto both of them. And I’ll go even further by predicting the following:

New Lens 1 The wide-zoom will be very much in the region of 7-14mm (EFL 14-28mm) or 9-18mm (EFL 18-36mm). This will be an adaption of the wonderful FourThirds version but now faster and brighter. And smaller as well.

New Lens 2 The telephoto lens will be either a 150mm, 200mm or 300mm (EFL 300/400/600mm respectively) and will be just as fast. I’ll go even farther and say that ALL these three will appear. It’s just a matter of time, priority and order of appearance.

At this point, I’ll make a few more predictions:

New Lenses 3 and 4 The 60mm f2.8 Macro won’t be the only one. Expect shorter and longer versions to eventually appear. One will be in the 30-35mm focal length while the other will be within the 100-135mm side. All will produce life-size image reproduction without any need for an optical extender or an auto-tube.
New Lens 5 I’ll bet further and forecast a telephoto zoom that will offer a range of between 100 to 250mm or thereabouts. This one won’t be that fast but will still be competitive. The attraction here will be its compact size; yet I believe this will be a PRO lens complete with everything one expects of a lens of this calibre.
Lens features Every single PRO lens will be MSC compatible and many will adopt the Snap-Focus feature first seen in the 12mm f2.0. Equally as many will have other useful features including the L.Fn, which is a programmable button to activate a lens-rated function. All of them will come standardised with the ZERO nanotechnology-based coating.
Gradually Olympus will add enough pro-grade glass to the OM-D System in order to ‘retire’ the FourThirds lens range. Once that happens, the M.Zuiko Digital will become the real Zuiko Digital. I also believe that in time, the name will just become ZUIKO, which is where Olympus really wants to go – reverting to its pure origins.

There will be developments beyond just lenses. The OM-D System will be pervasively a combination of what’s left of the current FourThirds-based E-System plus some parts of the accessories offered to the Pen range and new ones that are being developed to purely support OM-D cameras. For now you will see flash units including the beautiful RF-22 and TF-22 as well as the FL-36R and FL-50R brought over together with their adjacent accessories. From the Pen, the AP2-specific accessories are all available although you’ll probably won’t be needing the VF-1, VF-2 and VF-4 as well as the SEMA-1 options. "

I hope "New Lens 2" shall be a lightweight 300/600 :D :D :D and maybe my Christmas pressie ; holiday and birthday in 2014 :) :cool:

StephenL
26th September 2013, 07:41 PM
I think and hope you are correct Chevvy. What I'm unsure about is the timescale. Olympus are a small company compared to most competitors, and have neither the staff nor the finance to push these things through quickly. At best, I predict we will only see two new lenses per year. But when we do get them, they'll be crackers!

Chevvyf1
26th September 2013, 07:50 PM
I think and hope you are correct Chevvy. What I'm unsure about is the timescale. Olympus are a small company compared to most competitors, and have neither the staff nor the finance to push these things through quickly. At best, I predict we will only see two new lenses per year. But when we do get them, they'll be crackers!

Stephen, if and I mean IF - it is true that this camera has received the highest number of pre-orders of any camera, ever THEN maybe Olympus will get those lenses out to satisfy the buyers and generate EVEN MORE SALES !

As has been said, by ? Paullus :D

PS What I really like at the moment is the deafening sound of silence from so called experts queuing to denigrate the E-M1, unlike when I bought my E500, E520, E620, E3 & E5!

Yeah! Vote for the ONE :cool:

pdk42
26th September 2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks for posting this - a nice read. I'm really trying hard to avoid placing a pre-order. Must resist, must resist, must resist, ...