PDA

View Full Version : Tempting the Panny users...

Jetset95
25th September 2013, 02:39 PM
Quite a few posts on the rival Panasonic Lumix G Experience site (which I'm a member of due to my earlier adoption of the Panny G3 and lenses) which are disappointed with the EVF on the new flagship GH3 camera body. Apparently it's losing a coating and that means it's no longer water resistant and lots of issues with it not being sharp across it's entire range.

The stunning EVF on the E-M1 on the other hand has them salivating, and quite a few are talking about jumping ship to the E-M5's big brother, like I did from the G3 to the E-M5 last year.

I have to say I haven't regretted it one bit since then, and I'm just wondering if it's worth waiting for the E-M5 replacement next year or save up for the E-M1...

StephenL
25th September 2013, 02:46 PM
Well, I can sort-of experience that EVF daily with my VF-4, and it's just so much more of a complete experience that the E-M5, which is still a good camera. So good, I'm keeping mine despite pre-ordering the new one.

If it were me, I wouldn't be able to wait ...

Jetset95
25th September 2013, 03:13 PM
If it were me, I wouldn't be able to wait ... It's not me putting the breaks on pre-ordering the new body, it's the mortgage, kids, wife...:eek:

George Dorn
25th September 2013, 03:16 PM
Olympus would be stupid not to put the AF system in a similar body to the G6, and possibly the better EVF, too. Market it once the E-M1 sales settler down. Hamstring the system architecture to lower performance a little to differentiate between the models as a cheap option, job's a good 'un, innit.

StephenL
25th September 2013, 03:23 PM
It's not me putting the breaks on pre-ordering the new body, it's the mortgage, kids, wife...:eek:
Minor detail!

Jetset95
25th September 2013, 03:32 PM
Olympus would be stupid not to put the AF system in a similar body to the G6, and possibly the better EVF, too. Market it once the E-M1 sales settler down. Hamstring the system architecture to lower performance a little to differentiate between the models as a cheap option, job's a good 'un, innit.

Would be awesome to get slightly better button layout in the E-M5 sized body, with the C/PDAF focus system and better EVF, but I can't see the E-M6/7 being all that, it wouldn't make sense to get that close to the E-M1, which after all went head-to-head in development against the E7 and won.

Still, I'm probably going to have to wait till then to justify a new body so even if it doesn't stack up hopefully there will be some E-M1's coming online as used body's by then.

SteveJ
25th September 2013, 03:51 PM

I hope Olympus do, because at the moment when my e-600 dies Panasonic is were i will be going i'm afraid. I would not be able to afford any of the bodies (with built in evf) that Olympus offer. They really need to have a full range of cameras, not just the high end.

Steve

George Dorn
25th September 2013, 06:13 PM
Olympus seem to be good at trickling down the new technology - look at the E-PM2 for example.

David M
25th September 2013, 10:40 PM
I didn't know Olympus had started making microwaves. :D

Zuiko
25th September 2013, 10:44 PM
I didn't know Olympus had started making microwaves. :D

Perhaps that's how they make the wireless connections, you can post on facebook and heat your soup at the same time! :D

David M
25th September 2013, 11:03 PM
And the dedicated popcorn and beverage buttons are nice.

OM USer
26th September 2013, 10:27 AM
Would be awesome to get slightly better button layout in the E-M5 sized body, with the C/PDAF focus system and better EVF, but I can't see the E-M6/7 being all that, it wouldn't make sense to get that close to the E-M1, which after all went head-to-head in development against the E7 and won.

There is a lot of minor tweaks they could make to the E-M5 which maintain the direction but would still differentiate it from the top or the range line.

1) make the mode (PASM) dial a fraction smaller and slightly further left so thay could add the top plate on/off switch and then turn the existing on/off switch into the 2x2 switch

2) add a button (or even 2 buttons) to the centre of the top plate rear dial so that every push steps the top plate dial(s) through a sequence of different functions (eg aperture, ISO, exposure compensation [in M mode], WB), something akin to new control on the E-M1 .

3) make all the existing buttons configurable (eg the wastebasket button is unutilised in shooting mode) and stop the stupid restriction on which buttons can be configured with which functions.