PDA

View Full Version : E-M1 small single AF point

David Morison
25th September 2013, 08:05 AM
Having spent some time reading through the manual I'm still not sure whether the small AF point is any smaller than the smallest available on the E-M5. In addition to the small point selection function there is also a zoom AF function but does this actually reduce the size of the point or just deliver the same size in a different way - it does appear to enable a smaller AF area but I can't be sure without actual testing. Is anyone more enlightened than me?

David

Mickg
25th September 2013, 05:07 PM
Hi.
Been looking into this. Page 52 of e-m1 manual mentions reducing Af target. I cannot see this option in e-m5 manual, although I could have missed it.
Hoping this means it can be made smaller than e-m5. I know this was an issue for some.
Not sure.

Ian
25th September 2013, 05:11 PM
Hi.
Been looking into this. Page 52 of e-m1 manual mentions reducing Af target. I cannot see this option in e-m5 manual, although I could have missed it.
Hoping this means it can be made smaller than e-m5. I know this was an issue for some.
Not sure.

This feature was introduced with the E-P3 and it's on the E-M5 too:

Tap the touch screen mode icon until you get the touch focus mode (hand with the green square icon) and you will see a slider control on the right - slide this to vary the size of the focus point.

Ian

David Morison
4th October 2013, 07:48 PM
Well now I have my E-M1 in my possession I can confirm that the small single point target is about one half of the area of the 14x zoomed area of this camera and the E-M5. So this is the sort of improvement that us birders have been seeking. As I have been involved in child care today I have not really had time to test things out in the field but tomorrow is another day!

David

benvendetta
4th October 2013, 08:52 PM
This feature was introduced with the E-P3 and it's on the E-M5 too:

Tap the touch screen mode icon until you get the touch focus mode (hand with the green square icon) and you will see a slider control on the right - slide this to vary the size of the focus point.

Ian

I knew I could get a smaller focus point on my epl5 but not in the way described. Thanks Ian. Continuing to find new stuff on the camera. Although I still want to get an em1 I think that the epl5 will be staying with me - it's just a super little camers!

pvasc
5th October 2013, 06:45 AM
I knew I could get a smaller focus point on my epl5 but not in the way described. Thanks Ian. Continuing to find new stuff on the camera. Although I still want to get an em1 I think that the epl5 will be staying with me - it's just a super little camers!

Dave

If you haven't already found it try on the arrowpad/control dial, on the back of the camera, press the left side to bring up all the focus squares, then press the info button, then scroll up or down, eventually you will hit the smaller focus squares. I think that is what David Morison is talking about. I don't think the M5 had this feature.

benvendetta
5th October 2013, 07:01 AM
Dave

If you haven't already found it try on the arrowpad/control dial, on the back of the camera, press the left side to bring up all the focus squares, then press the info button, then scroll up or down, eventually you will hit the smaller focus squares. I think that is what David Morison is talking about. I don't think the M5 had this feature.

I found it using the method Ian described.

crimbo
5th October 2013, 08:10 AM
I can find that on my EPM-2
but in practice...what difference do the different focus area selections make?

Mickg
5th October 2013, 08:51 AM
Well now I have my E-M1 in my possession I can confirm that the small single point target is about one half of the area of the 14x zoomed area of this camera and the E-M5. So this is the sort of improvement that us birders have been seeking. As I have been involved in child care today I have not really had time to test things out in the field but tomorrow is another day!

David

Thanks for confirming the difference. Enjoy your new cam.
Mick

deckitout
5th October 2013, 09:26 AM
Can anyone confirm, as on the em5 do you lose the live view exposure indicator once you go to the small focus box, this is something I use all the time

Thanks