PDA

View Full Version : Still life again!

shirley
8th September 2008, 07:34 PM
A couple I have just been experimenting with.

Frozen sweetcorn

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Frozen_sweetcorn_edited-1.jpg

The metronome

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Metronome_edited-1.jpg

Thank you for looking.
Any thoughts?

CaptainD
8th September 2008, 08:37 PM
Dear Shirley,

I am not so keen on the first one, something about it does not work for me, possibly the colour is a little muted to make it jump out at me. However top marks for the idea.

The second one I think is great, the motion blur along with your shot composition make it a winner for me IMHO.

Great stuff

Chris *chr

Graham_of_Rainham
8th September 2008, 09:38 PM
I too think the colours are "off" but I'd go for it being a WB issue.

I think it would look better without the upper fork, we don't expect to see two forks set against each other like this (unless a waiter is clearing away) which gives me the impression of "discarded, left-overs". This feeling is added too by the half empty husk of one piece on the left and a piece of another on the right.

I remember a judge once saying that pictures of food needs to make the mouth water and make you want to eat it or look away and throw up. It did neither of this for me. Sorry !

As for the metronome, that's different in a lot of ways. "Still Life" yes, but with so much movement. If you are going to break the rules, then this is certianly a good way to do it. We all know how these things move it's what they are made to do and by showing us in its working state you have captured the essence of the subject.

I'd love to see this tried from different angles so the beat arm gets bigger and smaller in the frame. (if I can find one I'll give that a try sometime)

*chr

shirley
9th September 2008, 07:05 AM
Thank you Graham and Chris,
That is really helpful feedback. I intend to go back to the sweetcorn idea, perhaps using different fruit/veg, I might also go back to this sweetcorn pic, have a play with the WB and see what I come up with. I took it whilst cooking the evening meal last night, it was an .....'I wonder what it would look like if....' picture taken in about two mins so with a little more thought, preparation and planning I should be able to come up with something better.
Watch this space you never know what goodies might appear!!:D
Shirley

Makonde
9th September 2008, 10:19 AM
Well, Shirley, I'd go for image 1. I like the colours (corn is golden, after all), and also the idea of the second fork although I'd like to see a shot with it positioned slightly more towards the left edge (slightly more, but not absolutely, symmetrical).

The second one might be technically more interesting but for me, the visuals are less enticing.

Afterthought: How about with the top fork facing the same way, but still arching over the corn? To give an effect reminiscent of the corn in its husk on the plant...