PDA

View Full Version : E-m5+ lens repair times

KEITHHOWES
20th September 2013, 08:11 PM
ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO I NOTICED MY E-M5 MONITOR FRAME HAD CRACKED IN THE USUAL PLACE. AT THE SAME TIME I FOUND THE 75-300mm MK II LENS HAD A LOT OF DUST INSIDE IT. BOTH WERE STILL UNDER WARENTEE.
OBTAINED REPAIR FORMS FROM OLYMPUS & POSTED BODY & LENS OFF TO OLYMPUS REPAIR HUB AT 2-17pm ON 9/9/2013. RECIEVED AT HUB AT 8-57am ON 10/9/2013.
ITEMS REPAIRED & CLEANED ON 18/9/2013 IN PORTUGAL.
RECIEVED BACK VIA DHL AT 10-25am 20/9/13.
E-M5 FIRMWARE HAD BEEN UPDATED + REPAIRS DONE.
I THINK THAT WAS A VERY GOOD SERVICE, 11 DAYS INCLUSIVE OF DELIVERY TIMES.:)
REGARDS, KEITH

StephenL
20th September 2013, 08:53 PM
Good to know. And welcome to the forum, Keith.

drmarkf
19th October 2013, 02:17 PM
That's good to hear, and I've just had a similarly good experience *chr

I'd left my E-M5 with Campkins in Cambridge for a sensor clean, and they advised me on Monday morning a couple of weeks ago that the sensor was in fact damaged.

We agreed it should go back directly to Olympus UK, and they did this. A quote (260) was phoned through to me about 10 days ago, and I picked up the repaired camera yesterday.

The body looks cleaner then when new, and they had also updated the firmware. Of even more interest, it had the (dreaded) screen-surround replaced without asking! Mine had been one of those with a barely-perceptible crack that was un-displaced, but they most certainly have fixed it.

So, I'm pleased (although I could have done without spending 260 quid - I don't recall any sensor-threatening events happening, but I'm going to be even more careful now).

OlyPaul
19th October 2013, 11:27 PM
That's good to hear, and I've just had a similarly good experience *chr

I'd left my E-M5 with Campkins in Cambridge for a sensor clean, and they advised me on Monday morning a couple of weeks ago that the sensor was in fact damaged.

We agreed it should go back directly to Olympus UK, and they did this. A quote (£260) was phoned through to me about 10 days ago, and I picked up the repaired camera yesterday.

The body looks cleaner then when new, and they had also updated the firmware. Of even more interest, it had the (dreaded) screen-surround replaced without asking! Mine had been one of those with a barely-perceptible crack that was un-displaced, but they most certainly have fixed it.

So, I'm pleased (although I could have done without spending 260 quid - I don't recall any sensor-threatening events happening, but I'm going to be even more careful now).

I'm confused why you had to pay, the E-M5 has not yet been out two years and in the UK the Olympus guarantee is for two years!

Melaka
20th October 2013, 08:20 AM
Your experience is better than mine. I sent my EM5 and HLD6 off in September and it was received on 4th. After three weeks I had heard nothing nor was there an online update. I phoned and was told they were awaiting spares for the HLD which wouldn't be in Portugal for another week at least. I asked for the camera to be returned, which it was the following week. The repair form said "Fault:lens" and "Action:adjusted", which I thought was pretty clever as I hadn't sent a lens! By that time they'd had the camera for 26 days. The HLD followed over a week later.

Also enclosed in the package was a repair order for a Mr D Eminton's FL36R. If you're a member you may wish to know I received your paperwork.

Poor service in my view.

drmarkf
20th October 2013, 11:34 AM
I'm confused why you had to pay, the E-M5 has not yet been out two years and in the UK the Olympus guarantee is for two years!

Well, Olympus' service may be good or bad, but I don't think we would expect them to cover a damaged sensor under guarantee, or am I missing something here :confused:

ayewing
20th October 2013, 11:49 AM
Well, Olympus' service may be good or bad, but I don't think we would expect them to cover a damaged sensor under guarantee, or am I missing something here :confused:

There have been reports of spontaneous cracking of sensors in another brand of camera and these have been repaired under guarantee. If the damage was caused by physical impact or inexpert attempts at cleaning then it would not be covered. It would be interesting to know the nature of the damage the sensor suffered.

drmarkf
20th October 2013, 12:11 PM
There have been reports of spontaneous cracking of sensors in another brand of camera and these have been repaired under guarantee. If the damage was caused by physical impact or inexpert attempts at cleaning then it would not be covered. It would be interesting to know the nature of the damage the sensor suffered.

Ah, I see.
According to Campkins there were a few sticky spots on the sensor that they got off easily, but one small spot of damage they described as a 'dent'.

After noticing the spotted images I had blown the sensor a few times carefully with a Giotto blower trying to get the spots off, but made no attempt to wipe it, and I have no recollection of doing anything else to it that might have caused damage.

The spots all appeared between my return from the Belgian Grand Prix and doing some table-top photography in the garden: as I said, apart from changing lenses (during which I blew dust off all the lenses I'd taken to the race, but not even looked at the sensor) I have no recollection of doing anything that could have damaged it. I suppose some object could have blown in un-noticed to the camera while changing lenses in the garden?

ayewing
20th October 2013, 03:11 PM
I am not sure how the sensor could acquire a "dent" as normally the sensor is covered by a thin piece of glass which vibrates during sensor cleaning. I suppose if there was a very adherent particle some damage could be caused to the surface of the glass filter by attempts at removal. As you only used a blower I cannot see that this could be regarded as a fault on the part of the user.

I would be inclined to try a warranty claim on this one.

Tordan58
23rd October 2013, 09:15 PM
My E-M5 was repaired with less than two weeks lead time from door to door, twice.

First was a broken shutter, next was time a broken IBIS. In between these was a theft, the camera was stolen somewhere on its way from the workshop in Germany (where they repaired the shutter) to the local post office, that issue took a long time to get settled until Olympus conceded and replaced the camera. All of this withing less than 6 months time. Oh well...