PDA

View Full Version : Strange email from Olympus

bilbo
17th September 2013, 11:20 PM
I've had a very peculiar email from Olympus today regarding my E-M1 order:

Dear Mr XXXXXX,

Olympus E-Shop team thanks you for your order Y099999.

As per our secured payments policy, we would like to verify a few details regarding your payment process.
In order to do so, we need the following:

- A copy of your identity card or passport.
- A copy of one of your electricity or telephone bills for the shipping address.

These have to be sent by e-mail with your order reference number, Y099999 at the following address:
customer-service@shop.olympus.eu.

Please be assured that this information is requested in order to protect the integrity of our customers' accounts.
Upon receipt of these details, we shall do the necessary checks and dispatch your order.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Jaroslav Zika

For the Olympus Online Shop Team

www.olympus-europa.com

I've told them to either process the order they have or cancel it and let me know either way.

Ross the fiddler
18th September 2013, 12:20 AM
I've had a very peculiar email from Olympus today regarding my E-M1 order:

Dear Mr XXXXXX,

Olympus E-Shop team thanks you for your order Y099999.

As per our secured payments policy, we would like to verify a few details regarding your payment process.
In order to do so, we need the following:

- A copy of your identity card or passport.
- A copy of one of your electricity or telephone bills for the shipping address.

These have to be sent by e-mail with your order reference number, Y099999 at the following address:
customer-service@shop.olympus.eu.

Please be assured that this information is requested in order to protect the integrity of our customers' accounts.
Upon receipt of these details, we shall do the necessary checks and dispatch your order.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Jaroslav Zika

www.olympus-europa.com

I've told them to either process the order they have or cancel it and let me know either way.

That, I think, does not sound like a genuine email from Olympus & I definitely wouldn't be sending that sort of information to anyone by email, besides, I don't think that information would be required just for a camera purchase.

Also, I would not have replied to that email as I think it might be a scam, phishing email & you will need to be careful of further junk or phishing mail that may be generated from it. It would have been better to log onto the web site from which you ordered in the first place as that should have info about any confirmation details required, which I doubt in the first place.

Also, wouldn't you have been ordering through Olympus UK or a UK distributor?

bilbo
18th September 2013, 05:17 AM
The order number was correct and it came from the olympus.eu domain, which is the same domain where the confirmation email came from when I originally ordered the camera. I don't think it was a phish...

brian1208
18th September 2013, 05:42 AM
why not contact Olympus UK via their facebook page and ask them if this is normal practise or a phishing attempt (sounds like the latter to me)

Don't use the supplied e-mail to ask!

bilbo
18th September 2013, 05:44 AM
why not contact Olympus UK via their facebook page and ask them if this is normal practise or a phishing attempt (sounds like the latter to me)

Don't use the supplied e-mail to ask!

I've logged on to my account on the Olympus shop website and told them about the email and my concerns. Thanks.

brian1208
18th September 2013, 06:02 AM
hope you get it sorted safely

bilbo
18th September 2013, 06:12 AM
hope you get it sorted safelyThanks Brian. Well, even if it was from Olympus, I won't be sending the requested information. I'll cancel the order with them and reorder it elsewhere. I work in the electronic payments industry and I'm not about to send out personal information willy-nilly :)

Ian
18th September 2013, 07:47 AM
This doesn't seem right - has anybody else received a similar request.

I have flagged this thread.

Ian

Melaka
18th September 2013, 07:58 AM
Looks like phishing to me. The acknowledgment email for my order came from shop.support@olympus.eu. The one yours came from is close enough to be realistic. I was interested to see the domain on which the order is placed is in Belgium, not Germany, and it apears to be being handled by a third party, not Oly. That caused my credit card to refuse my first attempt at paying.

Zuiko
18th September 2013, 08:07 AM
I would not provide this information under any circumstances. Anyway, the onus is not on the retailer to make additional security checks, any such requests should come direct from the card issuer and would not include the copy documents requested. If anyone gets a call from the card issuer, be sure to phone them back using a telephone number you have obtained yourself, typically from the card or the statement, never one provided by the caller! Also, if returning the call straight away ensure the line is clear, with a dialling tone - bogus callers have been known to pretend to hang up but remain connected on the line. Ideally use a different phone, i.e. your mobile if the call came to your landline.

bilbo
18th September 2013, 08:12 AM
Looks like phishing to me. The acknowledgment email for my order came from shop.support@olympus.eu. The one yours came from is close enough to be realistic. I was interested to see the domain on which the order is placed is in Belgium, not Germany, and it apears to be being handled by a third party, not Oly. That caused my credit card to refuse my first attempt at paying.Hmm. Yes - I had the acknowledgement email a few days ago, from the same email address as you mention. The queer email came yesterday afternoon.

Zuiko
18th September 2013, 08:17 AM
Looks like phishing to me. The acknowledgment email for my order came from shop.support@olympus.eu. The one yours came from is close enough to be realistic. I was interested to see the domain on which the order is placed is in Belgium, not Germany, and it apears to be being handled by a third party, not Oly. That caused my credit card to refuse my first attempt at paying.

Olympus do have a history of using third parties. Many years ago I had a bust up with a third party company over a cashback deal. I can't recall the exact details, but their method of business was so vague and unusual that I refused to supply them my bank account details and requested a cheque instead. They really got the hump with my implication that I didn't trust them and it ended acrimoniously with me telling them to stuff their offer where the sun doesn't shine!

bilbo
18th September 2013, 08:40 AM
This doesn't seem right - has anybody else received a similar request.

I have flagged this thread.

IanThanks Ian

bilbo
19th September 2013, 10:03 AM
Seems that this was a genuine Olympus email - bizarre!

I just had a response to my (somewhat terse I must admit) response to the original email:

Dear Mr XXXXXX,

Our financial and management departments have decided to unblock the order.

Order will be processed as normal. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Krgds,

Jaroslav Zika

www.olympus-europa.com

:)

Maybe this is due to Ian's intervention? In which case thanks Ian! *chr

I've asked when they expect to ship it...

Ross the fiddler
19th September 2013, 11:12 AM
That is strange & the original a little extreme, enough to raise serious questioning to their request, because it was suspiciously too much like a phishing email.

I tend to be less trusting of anything a little odd & I still wonder if the records could have been hacked by a scammer. ???

I have had a spam, scam email with an obviously suspect link come from my own email address & that had me a little concerned at the time & that is why I am also not very trusting of emails of that nature.

BTW, were these orders able to use PayPal?

OlyPaul
19th September 2013, 01:27 PM
Seems that this was a genuine Olympus email - bizarre!

I just had a response to my (somewhat terse I must admit) response to the original email:

Dear Mr XXXXXX,

Our financial and management departments have decided to unblock the order.

Order will be processed as normal. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Krgds,

Jaroslav Zika

www.olympus-europa.com

:)

Maybe this is due to Ian's intervention? In which case thanks Ian! *chr

I've asked when they expect to ship it...

If you replied to the original e-mail and If this is a reply from the original e-mail WHY would you think it was legit when it could just be the scammers replying to keep you quite so they could continue with there scam on someone else that might bite!

Ian
19th September 2013, 01:30 PM
Olympus is aware of this thread and are considering it.

Ian

bilbo
19th September 2013, 01:31 PM
If this is a reply from the original e-mail WHY would you think it was legit when it could just be the scammers replying to keep you quite so they could continue with there scam on someone else that might bite!Having dealt with Olympus for some years, I don't think it is a phish. All the domain information from the email headers leads me to believe that it's genuine. Just bizarre behaviour. Scammers wouldn't bother to respond.

bilbo
19th September 2013, 01:34 PM
Olympus is aware of this thread and are considering it.

IanIan - Let me know if you need any more information from me to help them track down the original email source.

Ian
19th September 2013, 02:48 PM
I believe from Olympus feedback that the emails are legitimate, but people should who have received them should sooner or later see that their orders have been duly processed. If not, please let me know.

Ian

bilbo
20th September 2013, 03:46 PM
Ian - I got your PM - thanks.

Did you get my reply? I sent one but it disappeared into the ether - ie no copy in my Sent box...

Thanks
Brian

Ian
20th September 2013, 04:14 PM
Ian - I got your PM - thanks.

Did you get my reply? I sent one but it disappeared into the ether - ie no copy in my Sent box...

Thanks
Brian

Yes - I must look into the sent box thing! You aren't alone!

Ian

bilbo
20th September 2013, 04:30 PM
Just to close this off for the group...

These emails did come from the Olympus Shop. They were apparently suspicious because I managed to get two credit cards blocked while trying to buy the E-M1. The cards were blocked by the banks because the transaction was an unusually high value for me and was payable to an unknown merchant in Belgium.

Anyway, I'm now awaiting delivery.

It had better be good. :cool: