PDA

View Full Version : Gallery uploading - newbie question

E-P1 fan
10th December 2007, 10:10 AM
I'm sure it's me but I can't immediately find a simple set of parameters for image uploading - ie max pixels - max mb size etc. :o
Can someone point these out for me.

R MacE
10th December 2007, 11:22 AM
I think the only ststed limit is size (512kb) but 600x450 would make the entire image viewable I think.

If you 'Save for Web' you can make it optomise to your desired file size by typing in the limit (I would go about 50 less than the limit)

Alternatively if you upload to flickr you can copy and paste the image url into the space that says 'retrieve all images from this url' (if you copy in the actual image url it should only display the actual image but not other flicker images)

Does that make sense :confused:

emirpprime
10th December 2007, 12:22 PM
I think Ian reccommended 800 wide or 700 tall for the long edge (depending on whether it is landscape of portrait).
All the best,
Phil

ps, there is a file size limit too for uploading here too, as R MacE said, its 512kb. But you should be well under that with a <800px photo.

Ian
10th December 2007, 01:57 PM
I think the only ststed limit is size (512kb) but 600x450 would make the entire image viewable I think.

If you 'Save for Web' you can make it optomise to your desired file size by typing in the limit (I would go about 50 less than the limit)

Alternatively if you upload to flickr you can copy and paste the image url into the space that says 'retrieve all images from this url' (if you copy in the actual image url it should only display the actual image but not other flicker images)

Does that make sense :confused:

Best not to use Photoshop Save for Web because it strips out the EXIF data.

800 wide is also preferable to 600. The gallery will create a smaller version for convenience anyway.

Ian

theMusicMan
10th December 2007, 02:10 PM
For Windows users you might like to take a look at a superb free image application called IrFanView. It is free as I say, and allows you to easily resize, manipulate and save images in a variety of formats (and JPG for here). I only wish this was available on a Mac!

IrfanView is available here (http://www.irfanview.com/).

I use Photoshop for most if not all my image stuff, but don't have any handy image apps that I could use for simple resizing etc... any Mac users recommend one I could try out...?

E-P1 fan
10th December 2007, 07:50 PM
For Windows users you might like to take a look at a superb free image application called IrFanView. It is free as I say, and allows you to easily resize, manipulate and save images in a variety of formats (and JPG for here). I only wish this was available on a Mac!

IrfanView is available here (http://www.irfanview.com/).

I use Photoshop for most if not all my image stuff, but don't have any handy image apps that I could use for simple resizing etc... any Mac users recommend one I could try out...?

I've seen this before but not tried it - so I'll try now:)

E-P1 fan
10th December 2007, 08:05 PM
Best not to use Photoshop Save for Web because it strips out the EXIF data.

800 wide is also preferable to 600. The gallery will create a smaller version for convenience anyway.

Ian

Thanks guys