PDA

View Full Version : What have I done!!

wellyboot
14th September 2013, 04:49 PM
Hubby and I went down to SRS in Watford today as my husband wanted to try a Sigma 50-500mm. Coincidentally it was also the day that they had the OMD E-M1 in for a demo day.
Although I have been avidly reading all about it, I had decided that with my Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis, it would be too heavy and large for me, which is why I had gone to m4/3 in the first place.
But it would have been rude of me not to look wouldn't it?
The rest, as they say, is history. With a little persuasion from my husband (although it didn't take much), I placed my pre-order!
Undecided about the 12-40mm yet, so for now it's body only!
I have to say I'm a little shell shocked, so would appreciate a few folk telling me that I've made a good decision!

bilbo
14th September 2013, 04:58 PM
Hubby and I went down to SRS in Watford today as my husband wanted to try a Sigma 50-500mm. Coincidentally it was also the day that they had the OMD E-M1 in for a demo day.
Although I have been avidly reading all about it, I had decided that with my Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis, it would be too heavy and large for me, which is why I had gone to m4/3 in the first place.
The rest, as they say, is history. With a little persuasion from my husband (although it didn't take much), I placed my pre-order!
I have to say I'm a little shell shocked, so would appreciate a few folk telling me that I've made a good decision!

Well, you've made the same decision as I did. So yes. Of course it's a good one! ;)

StephenL
14th September 2013, 05:02 PM
What time were you in SRS? I placed my order at about 10:30. So yes, we have both done the right thing!

Xenon
14th September 2013, 05:02 PM

Yes you have shown yourself to be of eminently good judgement!
Just like me :)

Zuiko
14th September 2013, 05:22 PM
Of course it's a good decision, what's not to like about it? It is slightly bigger than an E-M5 but not so that you'd notice, unless you were holding them side by side. *chr

andym
14th September 2013, 05:23 PM
Well from my little play last Thursday I think you won't regret it.;););)

andym
14th September 2013, 05:24 PM
So yes, we have both done the right thing!

No will power(just like me).I knew you would.;););)

wellyboot
14th September 2013, 05:31 PM
Thank you guys! You've made me feel a lot better now!
We didn't get there until about 1pm Stephen. Although we've purchased from there a fair few times, we've never actually been there, so ended up getting lost because we stupidly relied on the Sat Nav, which kept giving up the ghost on us!
We used to go to Digital Depot a lot, but they stopped doing Olympus quite some time ago, so with the closure of Jessops, SRS is our closest photography store stocking Olympus.
Did anyone order the 12-40mm? I would have liked to have tried that too but the rep said there's only one in the country.
I have to confess to starting to get excited now!

Melaka
14th September 2013, 05:31 PM
Join the club! I ordered one online today from the Oly shop.

brian1208
14th September 2013, 05:42 PM
I have to confess to starting to get excited now!

Excited - I've had mine on order since the 10th and I'm getting impatient! :D

Good choice we are all making, the trouble I can foresee is that there won't be enough to go round us all :(

paullus
14th September 2013, 06:34 PM
I've been where you are before.
I bought a used E3 to replace my E620 and felt slightly guilty about the expense. Bought my E5 and constantly questioned my decision as I waited for it to arrive only to be ecstatic when I got it .
Now however I feel like a kid waiting for Santa since I've ordered mine, no doubts and no regrets. Pathetic for a person of my age to get excited about a new camera but I simply can't wait to get my hands on my E-M1. I've put my trust in Olympus on this one and I'm convinced I won't be let down. I've ordered the 12-40 kit with free adapter and grip and it's due to be delivered in about two weeks so they'd better get their stocks up. Relax and go with the flow, you have made an inspired decision.

Phill D
14th September 2013, 07:40 PM
I did much the same as everyone else here and had the same feelings after clicking that button. Never jumped in so early before. The playtime on Thursday eased my doubts though and I must admit I'm starting to get excited too. Just like Christmas when you were little!!! but a lot more expensive :( For me I stuck with the 12-50 and decided to save the delights of the 12-40 until later. Mind you having a play with the only one in the UK on Thursday was a bit special, it's a lovely lens.

Graham_of_Rainham
15th September 2013, 06:56 PM
What are they saying will be the delivery dates from the various sellers *???

dogsbody
15th September 2013, 07:05 PM
Can anybody comment on the Autofocus & tracking? sorry to be boring by asking the same question, but it is the key point that ultimately will decide if I jump ship from Pentax K 30.

brian1208
15th September 2013, 07:29 PM
Can anybody comment on the Autofocus & tracking? sorry to be boring by asking the same question, but it is the key point that ultimately will decide if I jump ship from Pentax K 30.

All Wex say is "Stock due October 2013"

I think I spotted somewhere that Olympus were saying deliveries of the body were due to start 2nd week October and the kit early November (but wouldn't swear to it)

StephenL
15th September 2013, 07:59 PM
What are they saying will be the delivery dates from the various sellers *???
Amazon say 14 October for bodies and 12-50, and 18 November for kits with 12-40.

SRS just said mid-October, which would tally.

jamsa
16th September 2013, 11:29 AM
Well, I had not planned this either but am off to the local demo day this week and have pre registered in case I take the plunge...my only question is I wonder what my EM-5 is now worth to sell or trade in. I have the HLD6 grip to pass on with it, but would keep the lens. Any advice is appreciated...

bilbo
16th September 2013, 11:35 AM
Can anybody comment on the Autofocus & tracking? sorry to be boring by asking the same question, but it is the key point that ultimately will decide if I jump ship from Pentax K 30.see Robin Wong's blog:

http://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/olympus-om-d-e-m1-review-image.html

jamsa
20th September 2013, 07:29 PM
I spoke to the Olympus rep on Wednesday and he did say that they were not quite there yet with the 12-40.... But I ordered the camera and 12-40 and hope I get both sooner than later!

Amazon say 14 October for bodies and 12-50, and 18 November for kits with 12-40.

Gwyver
21st September 2013, 06:33 AM

When I ordered last week, SRS said bodies in mid-October, 12-40 kits at end-October. What they don't know is how many of the initial shipment will be allocated to them (or any other suppliers) by Olympus UK.

Popephoto
21st September 2013, 08:12 AM
After a very brief play with the EM-1 on the openday, the C-AF on the EM-1 was much better than on the EM-5. How much better only time will tell, but it worked on a cyclist going past the shop where as the EM-5 would not off! It also worked much much better with the 4/3rds lenses than the EM-5, much snappier on the AF. I think good things to come from this camera.