PDA

View Full Version : Staithes

StephenL
7th September 2008, 03:01 PM
Just back from a week in Staithes, and of course I had to take the obligatory panorama! Made from 9 images, stitched in Autopano Pro, and taken with Oly E-520 fitted with 14-54. Camera hand-held in portrait format.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/staithes_pano_0228.jpg

KEITHBD
7th September 2008, 03:40 PM
What an excellent panoramic Stephen. I like it immensely. Have you tried cropping just above the harbour wall. I think it concentrates the eye more on the houses. All a matter of taste and I think it is perfection as it is anyway.
Very well done. Keith.

Naughty Nigel
7th September 2008, 08:09 PM
I like it a lot, and would happily hang it on my wall. You have captured a huge amount of detail of a curious and fascinating old town.

My only comment is that I would have preferred to see just a little more sky at the top of the photograph.

shenstone
7th September 2008, 08:18 PM
I like it a lot, and would happily hang it on my wall. You have captured a huge amount of detail of a curious and fascinating old town.

My only comment is that I would have preferred to see just a little more sky at the top of the photograph.

I agree that a little wider would have been good - it would have allowed the full sweep of houses in the foreground and also nto had that strage cut-off on the RHS

Also looking at the RHS. Is there an effect of the stitching process just where sea gives way to sky as there seems to be a repeating pattern that looks artificial

Having said that it's still very nice and a well thought through capture and process

Regards
Andy

yorky
8th September 2008, 01:57 PM
A great shot of a peaceful scene, It would be nice to go back in a winter storm? It would certainly test the weatherproffiong of an E3. If Olympus was feeling generous I would be prepared to capture that...on expenses of course! Ah well dream on Michael

fulhamphil
8th September 2008, 06:46 PM
Fantastic shot Stephen, superb colour. I agree with yorkie would look good during a winter storm.

Malcolm Cousins
8th September 2008, 11:22 PM
You have caught a nice light here Stephen. Very well captured and a good pano.

Ray Shotter
9th September 2008, 09:30 AM
Stephen,

A superb photograph with magnificent light and contrast. The detail is excellent also. I like it a lot.

Ray.

theMusicMan
9th September 2008, 10:07 AM
Excellent pano Stephen, I like it. Thanks for posting.

Cathal
21st September 2008, 10:19 AM
I love the detail in this shot, and enjoyed the composition too. While this is an excellent image, if it were taken at sunrise or sunset, it would have been even better!

Zuiko
21st September 2008, 10:54 AM
This is a hard scene to capture impressively, mainly because it's been done more than impressively so many times before. In fact Joe Cornish has taken what he himself regards as "the definitive image" and it is so perfect, so unbelievably good, taken in such amazing light that I think it is very unlikely to ever be surpassed. But you never know!

Regarding your image, Stephen, it does indeed stand up well despite the fierce competition of all that's been done before. In fact the pano treatment which, I must say, you've excelled at, does give it an extra dimension that lifts it above much of the crowd.

Repeat the same in more spectacular lighting and, you never know, Joe might be forced to reconsider his definition of "definitive!"

StephenL
21st September 2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks for all your comments. Some day, perhaps, I will go back there and encounter more dramatic lighting conditions. At least then I'll know where to stand - and how to improve it!

Ellie
22nd September 2008, 12:41 AM
I think it's a remarkably good picture. :)