PDA

View Full Version : Memory Cards and Batteries for E-M1

Olybirder
11th September 2013, 04:57 PM
Well, I have bitten the bullet and ordered an E-M1 body from the Olympus store. However I have now realised that my existing memory cards won't fit and that I will need at least one spare battery.

Which cards do forum members recommend and can you suggest the best places to buy them from? Which after-market batteries have been found to work well with the E-M5 or is it advisable to stick with the Olympus originals to start with?

Is there anything else I will require when migrating from an E-30?

Ron

Ian
11th September 2013, 05:44 PM
Get a good brand of SD card - try to aim for one with a fast write-speed. SanDisk do their Pro cards with over 90MB/sec write speeds. Panasonic cards go to around 80MB/sec.

Remember, don't confuse write speed with read speed - most cards today offer 90 or 95MB/sec read speed, and you want a correspondingly fast write speed so you can shoot continuously without having to worry about stalling the buffer.

I am not an expert on cheap batteries, but the official battery is a BLN-1 (N, not M!).

Ian

tomphotofx
11th September 2013, 06:36 PM
Just bought 3 Lexar cards from amazon, they are brilliant.

Lexar Professional 16GB Class 10 UHS-1 600X 90MB/s High Speed SDHC Memory Card: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FWDkc-slL.@@AMEPARAM@@51FWDkc-slL

:)

OM USer
11th September 2013, 10:08 PM
Using 16GB capacity SanDisk Extreme 45MB/s U1 Class10 purchased from Amazon.
Both the E-M5 and my card reader (USpeed USB 3.0) claim to support U1 so I hope I'm maximising read/write where I can. I guess the E-M1 will support U1 as well.

For batteries I am using four ExPro BLN-1 clones, purchased from Amazon and direct from Expro. The latest incarnation of these (but not mine) are chipped so work in the Oly charger.

Olybirder
16th September 2013, 12:35 PM
After deliberating for quite a long time I eventually ordered a Sandisk Extreme Pro card from Amazon yesterday.

SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC Memory Card 95 Mbps 16 GB Shipped in Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410jb4cuYqL.@@AMEPARAM@@410jb4cuYqL

While I was at it, I also ordered a genuine Olympus BLN-1 battery for 44.60. It is from Buy & More, fulfilled by Amazon. Hopefully it will be all right. I might try the ExPro clones next time.

I was pleased to discover that the cost of both items has gone up by 3 today. :)

Ron

mhobart
16th September 2013, 01:22 PM
Using 16GB capacity SanDisk Extreme 45MB/s U1 Class10 purchased from Amazon.
Both the E-M5 and my card reader (USpeed USB 3.0) claim to support U1 so I hope I'm maximising read/write where I can. I guess the E-M1 will support U1 as well.

For batteries I am using four ExPro BLN-1 clones, purchased from Amazon and direct from Expro. The latest incarnation of these (but not mine) are chipped so work in the Oly charger.

Yes, Olympus says that the E-M1 supports the UHS-1 standard for the memory cards :-)

Over here in the U.S. every once in a while Amazon has huge discount sales (typically 60% off) on those SanDisk Extreme cards. It's worth dealing with the marketing emails from Amazon to ensure not missing such a deal.

The Lexar cards mentioned in the other post are also excellent but don't seem to appear in such large discount sales :-(

These are, of course, my opinions, yours may differ :-)

anroo
16th September 2013, 03:16 PM
I have been using SanDisk Extreme Pro cards since getting my EM5 but recently found Transcend 16GB Ultimate SDHC Class 10 UHS-I 600x cards at £12 a pop on Amazon. I can't tell the difference in speed (clearing the buffer) between them and the SanDisk which are about 3x as much for the same size on Amazon.

raichea
16th September 2013, 11:01 PM
Unfortunately, Olympus don't say what memory read/write speeds can be achieved by the EM-1.

Doing a bit of reading around the web, UC1 Class 10 cards can offer write speeds as low as 10MB/s. The card mentioned in the OM-D EM-1 specs is a Toshiba SDXC UHS-I card R95 W80 model Premiugate series "Class 10" 8GB. According to the Toshiba specs (and the clue is in the name!), this card offers 95MB/s Read speed and 80MB/s Write speed.

To be sure of getting the best performance, it seems that you should go for cards that can at least match this, unless someone has more definitive information.

Steve.

sponner
16th September 2013, 11:20 PM
I use 7dayshop for cards and batteries, found them to be excellent on price and service.

Ross the fiddler
17th September 2013, 12:35 AM
Whatever SD cards you may buy in the future (I use Sandisk Extreme Pro), make sure they are in original packaging (with serial numbers) because on ebay fakes are sold with a copy of the original label on it.

jima
19th September 2013, 09:38 AM
While I was at it, I also ordered a genuine Olympus BLN-1 battery for 44.60. It is from Buy & More, fulfilled by Amazon. Hopefully it will be all right. I might try the ExPro clones next time.
Don't expect too much from the EXPro clone. They do charge in the Olympus charger but my first struggled to achieve 700mAh and the replacement struggles to achieve 1000mAh while the Olympus genuine article storms on to 1275mAh. There is a thread about this and grips in the E-M5 forum.

Olybirder
19th September 2013, 11:28 AM
Don't expect too much from the EXPro clone. They do charge in the Olympus charger but my first struggled to achieve 700mAh and the replacement struggles to achieve 1000mAh while the Olympus genuine article storms on to 1275mAh. There is a thread about this and grips in the E-M5 forum.
Thanks Jim. That is why I bought an Olympus spare to begin with. It will give me a better idea of what the battery life should be like.

My battery and memory card both arrived a few minutes ago. All I need now is a camera to put them in! I reckon it will probably be about another month but I hope it is sooner. :)

Ron