PDA

View Full Version : So what will you buy?

benvendetta
11th September 2013, 12:47 PM
If you intend buying the EM-1 and you already have the 12-60 ZD, which of the following will you get?

a. the body only (+ MMF3) - 1299
b. the body plus the 12-40 (+MMF3) - 1949

Not that I can afford either :(

Jetset95
11th September 2013, 01:08 PM
I don't have any M4/3 lenses, but it's still a valid question - would you by the body only and use your primes / 12-50 mm weather sealed lens on the EM-1 or would you get the 12-40. Personally I don't use that intermediate zoom lens that much - I have the Panny 35-100 f2.8 weather sealed pro lens which I love - but never felt the need to add the 12-35 version

sapper
11th September 2013, 01:10 PM
Just the body for now. I like the look of the 40-150 2.8 lens also.

OM USer
11th September 2013, 01:27 PM
The 12-40mm (and 40-150mm) are just what the doctor ordered but there is that little issue of paying for them.

Olybirder
11th September 2013, 01:44 PM
The 12-40 is a very good deal when bundled with the EM-1 (650 instead of about 900 on its own.) You should be able to sell it on later if you didn't like it without losing too much. It is still 650 though. I would probably have the 75-300 Mk II, although it is to some extent duplicating my 50-200 SWD and EC-14 but is much lighter and smaller.

Ron

pvasc
11th September 2013, 02:10 PM
Just the E-M1. I have the 14-54 mk1 if I neeed something for low light or weather sealing, if not I have the Panasonic 14-45. I'm pretty happy with the ISO performance as it is, and the E-M1 is better. If I was gong to choose a lens it would be the 75-300, because the 50-200 is a lot of weight to hang off the, (plastic) adapter. Hopefully an adapter that will do a better job at supporting the weight of 4/3 lenses is in the works. Or maybe it just can't be done. Hello Olympus anybody listening????

Ross the fiddler
11th September 2013, 02:14 PM
Just the body for now. I like the look of the 40-150 2.8 lens also.

Same here (if funds & wife allow) as I have the 14-54 II lens & the 12-50 if I want that wider angle (I can't afford all the lenses :rolleyes: ).

RogerMac
11th September 2013, 02:14 PM
It will be a while before I get one but when (if) I do it will be body only, I already have the 12-60, and I will go for a couple of carefully selected primes.

Roger

David Morison
11th September 2013, 02:58 PM
Just the body, I know my Leica 14-150mm works brilliantly on the E-M1, even in very low light, and I already have the 60mm and 75-300 mm. Might be looking for a 300mm f4 if it ever materialises.

David

hruissen
11th September 2013, 03:28 PM
I take option a although it will not be in the coming 6 months. So I probably need to pay extra for the adapter to use my 12-60 and 50-200 four thirds lenses.:(

By the way: will those lenses not look funny on such a small camera. Not that it really matters as long as the pictures are brilliant but still....Now have an E30 and that looks quite balanced with these lenses. But the E-M1 is much smaller

StephenL
11th September 2013, 03:42 PM
I've not really had time to read and digest all this news as I'm busy on hols at the moment, but I reckon I'll keep my E-M5. Not that I don't fancy the new one, and I can afford it, but I don't think it will give me anything I really need. What I do need is is a photo course to help me make my photography better! But I will look at the 40-150.

pvasc
11th September 2013, 03:45 PM
I take option a although it will not be in the coming 6 months. So I probably need to pay extra for the adapter to use my 12-60 and 50-200 four thirds lenses.:(

By the way: will those lenses not look funny on such a small camera. Not that it really matters as long as the pictures are brilliant but still....Now have an E30 and that looks quite balanced with these lenses. But the E-M1 is much smaller

Take a look at the Fours Thirds Users site. Ian has put up pictures of it next to the E-1, E-510, and E-30. It's about the same size as the 510, so no more sillier than when they were on that, I would think.

Ian
11th September 2013, 03:45 PM
I don't have any M4/3 lenses, but it's still a valid question - would you by the body only and use your primes / 12-50 mm weather sealed lens on the EM-1 or would you get the 12-40. Personally I don't use that intermediate zoom lens that much - I have the Panny 35-100 f2.8 weather sealed pro lens which I love - but never felt the need to add the 12-35 version

I think you mean you don't have any Four Thirds lenses :D

Ian

Zuiko
11th September 2013, 03:56 PM
Ideally I would like the E-M1 body to use with my existing 14-54mm but I can't afford that. :(

As an alternative, I would like a 12-40mm to use on my existing E-M5 but I can't afford that either. :mad:

So how about I just keep my E-M5 and Panny 14-45mm? So long as I can continue to afford that I will be reasonably happy. :)

Ulfric M Douglas
11th September 2013, 04:26 PM
If you intend buying the EM-1 and you already have the 12-60 ZD, which of the following will you get?

You will need to know which lens make the best pictures.

How long before they get into the hands of real-life comparators?

Will you miss the 60mm end : YES,
(heck my 14-54 is often at 54mm ...)

Olybirder
11th September 2013, 04:41 PM
I have just ordered the body only. The 12-40 looks a good buy as a kit but, to be honest, I wouldn't use it much and it is still rather expensive. I will try the camera with my 50-200 SWD (with or without the EC-14) to see how I get on. I will then see if there are any m4/3 lenses which I would like. I just hope that the MMF-3 arrives at the same time as the body. :eek:

Ron

OM USer
11th September 2013, 04:49 PM
If anyone ends up with the kit but then decides they don't want the 12-40mm then PM me as I'm interested. I'm sure we could come up with an arrangement!

bredman
11th September 2013, 04:51 PM
By the way: will those lenses not look funny on such a small camera.

A couple images here.

http://www.pekkapotka.com/journal/2013/9/9/olympus-om-d-e-m1-hands-on-preview.html

Ian
11th September 2013, 05:47 PM

You mean like this? :)

http://fourthirds-user.com/images/459/em1_30.jpg

More here:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2013/09/olympus_omd_em1_handson_preview.php

Ian

brian1208
11th September 2013, 05:49 PM
I've just gone for the EM-1 + grip offer as I have no 4/3rds lenses but a goodly collection of m4/3rds + my lovely 35 year old tamron 500mm (can't wait to use that with focus peaking, its already darned good without on the EM-5 :) )

tomphotofx
11th September 2013, 06:13 PM
Still debating with myself if I really want the 12-40mm as I already have the 12-60mm, will go for the body & grip and MMF-3.:)

Phill D
11th September 2013, 06:35 PM
I went for the lower cost option of the 12-50 lens with the EM-1. I was in two minds and had planned to go body only but at the last minute thought I really ought to have some m4/3 glass to use as a light weight option that would probably be better at video that any of the 4/3s lenses I have. Couldn't justify the price of the 12-40 as good as it looked especially as I expect I'll use my Lumix 14-150 most of the time as I do now. Who knows maybe I'll change my mind after tomorrow.

tomphotofx
11th September 2013, 06:39 PM
The 12-50 is perfect for video, that was what I purchased with the EM-5, it's got a great macro function too.

Tom

Phill D
11th September 2013, 06:51 PM
Thanks Tom it's good to hear you say that. I also thought I saw somewhere that the EM-1 won't auto focus with the standard lenses so they would have to be manual af in video. I also like macro so was planning to compare how the 12-50 worked against my 50mm f2.

Zuiko
11th September 2013, 07:03 PM
I went for the lower cost option of the 12-50 lens with the EM-1. I was in two minds and had planned to go body only but at the last minute thought I really ought to have some m4/3 glass to use as a light weight option that would probably be better at video that any of the 4/3s lenses I have. Couldn't justify the price of the 12-40 as good as it looked especially as I expect I'll use my Lumix 14-150 most of the time as I do now. Who knows maybe I'll change my mind after tomorrow.

David Morrison has already tried his Lumix 14-150mm on the E-M1 and was very satisfied with the focusing. :)

Greytop
11th September 2013, 08:13 PM
I'm going to sit on the fence for a while, my E-M5 and three zooms are still producing results that can't be sniffed at.
I can't deny that the E-M1 does looks very tempting but I have another system that is rather nice to use too :)

I'll probably plump for for it at some point but right now I'm happy with what I've got :)

birdboy
11th September 2013, 08:39 PM
I am currently debating this very question. I can't answer it at the moment.

I am a two camera person typically I have the 12-60swd on an E3 and the 50- 200swd on an E5. The 12-40 would just cover the same range that I use it for as the 12-60 albeit at f2.8 and that's nice to have. What I would really want is the 9-18mm. So would I get the MFT or the FT one.

I am acutely aware that cameras work best with lenses that were designed for that camera. If it requires an adapter then you are just not going to get the best out of the camera / lens combination.

The spec of the EM1 looks great and in some respects an improvement on the E5 but I am a lover of action pictures BIF wildlife and motor sports bikes especially. It is great that if I was to buy the EM1 I would have an increase in the number of lenses available but it would mean having to stay with two different lens mounts. Of course I could used the FT on the EM1 but not the MFT on the E5.

If this the solution is Oly expecting the sales of FT to go up?

Maybe tomorrow will help me decide.

benvendetta
11th September 2013, 09:38 PM
Still debating with myself if I really want the 12-40mm as I already have the 12-60mm, will go for the body & grip and MMF-3.:)

That is exactly what I have been thinking.

bredman
11th September 2013, 09:45 PM
I'd be interested in seeing a C-AF comparison of the two lenses on the EM-1. I'm assuming the 12-40 will be considerably better.

benvendetta
11th September 2013, 09:57 PM
I am glad to see images of the em1 with the 12-60 and the 7-14, both of which I have. All I really need to see now is the em1 plus the 50-200.

Olybirder
11th September 2013, 10:11 PM
I don't know if anyone has posted this before but the Matching Simulator is working on the Four Thirds site now. I have just built the E-M1 with the grip, MMF-3, and 50-200 SWD.

Link here (http://www.four-thirds.org/en/special/matching.html).

I don't think the lens looks too large for the body at all.

Ron

David M
11th September 2013, 10:11 PM
Having 20+ 4/3 and OM lenses I may buy a body and MMF-3 in 12 months time. I'll let the early adopters find any faults/issues. I don't need high ISO or 16MP but would like an m4/3 body for some of the fast manual focus primes that are available

sponner
11th September 2013, 10:57 PM
nikon d7000 i reckon :(

Zuiko
11th September 2013, 11:29 PM
nikon d7000 i reckon :(

Is the E-M1 too expensive or do you think it is not the right solution? Or both? :)

Phill D
11th September 2013, 11:33 PM
John how did David get to try the Lumix on the EM-1 already?

Zuiko
11th September 2013, 11:38 PM

Ed (Wee Man) has already been to visit Ian, too. :)

Ross the fiddler
11th September 2013, 11:40 PM

Probably the same way Wee Man (Ed) got to try several lenses too. ;)

EDIT: Ah John, you beat me to it. ;)

Phill D
11th September 2013, 11:44 PM
So it's who you know eh :)

sponner
12th September 2013, 07:36 AM
Is the E-M1 too expensive or do you think it is not the right solution? Or both?

It does look like a cracking camera but I'm not sure I can justify the cost compared to other options. I will wait a while and decide later.

I am still constantly impressed by my E5 and the two hg lenses I have so there is no rush.

Zuiko
12th September 2013, 07:49 AM
It does look like a cracking camera but I'm not sure I can justify the cost compared to other options. I will wait a while and decide later.

I am still constantly impressed by my E5 and the two hg lenses I have so there is no rush.

That makes sense and the price is bound to drop over time. Plus, the technology will almost certainly be incorporated in future lower level cameras such as the eventual E-M5 replacement.

hruissen
12th September 2013, 07:52 AM
You mean like this? :)

http://fourthirds-user.com/images/459/em1_30.jpg

More here:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2013/09/olympus_omd_em1_handson_preview.php

Ian

Thanks Ian and others. I'm convinced now. Now it is just a matter of finding the money.. Anyone want to buy an E-30 in the future?
:)

Ian
12th September 2013, 08:15 AM

I can explain this. I felt that one of the most important issues for the new camera was its ability to shoot BIF with Four Thirds lenses. So last week I invited David Morison and Andy Elliot, two of our finest bird in flight photographers on our sites, to try out the E-M1 in secret. We met at Rutland Water.

Andy uses an E-5 but also has an E-M5 and he also has several Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds lenses, including the 300 f/2.8 and m.Zuiko 75-300. David traded his E-5 for a Canon EOS-7D, widely regarded as one of the best cameras for BIF but he also uses an E-M5. Between them they are a cornucopia of experience and expertise.

Andy was quite enthusiastic about the performance of the E-M1 with his lenses. David was less comfortable but he did like the way the E-M1 focused his Leica 14-150. If I recall, his 7-14 doesn't focus well on an E-M5 and that now focuses properly on the E-M1. For David the issue is not that the E-M1 is no good for BIF, it's just that he was hoping for a reasonably large improvement over his old E-5. Compared to the E-M1, his 7D can successfully lock onto very distant birds with amazing reliability and this is ideal for his need to identify birds. But he did say that his E-M5's image quality is better than the 7D.

Ed (Wee Man) commented on the forum that it was disappointing there were no events in Northern Ireland, so I put 2 and 2 together and invited him to the European press event venue at Castle Leslie on Tuesday, which is less than an hour from him. I'm sorry I could not invite more people from the region.

Ian

Phill D
12th September 2013, 08:19 AM
Sponner I was in the same frame of mind as you and would have waited myself until the price drops as I've done with all my other camera purchases. However, in this case I've broken my rules and gone for it early as I just got a long service award from work and that is going to lessen the financial blow. Plus I thought about the history of the EM-5 when it came out it was a high price but had quite good introductory offers. For those that got the introductory offers then the Camera took over a year to actually get a street price back down to around the effective original offer price (i.e. the price minus the free goodies). So looking at it that way the EM-1 is currently selling for £1499 - £159 (MMF-3) - £189 (HLD-7) - £250 (12-50mm lens) - ~£85 (battery and backpack offer at SRS) = £816 for the camera body. I'm sure it will be nearly two years before it gets to that low a body only street price. Not a fair accounting story really but it certainly helped me justify it to my better half ;)

Phill D
12th September 2013, 08:29 AM
Ian there was no need to explain really but it's very nice you did. That was a pretty smart thing to do as well, what an excellent way to get some expert independent views. Maybe the guys will feel able to add more of their own thoughts on here now. Looking forward to meeting you in person at the event today and getting to grips with the EM-1 myself.

Phill D
12th September 2013, 08:55 AM
Actually whilst sort of on the subject of sticking with Olympus one of the significant plus factors for me was this site. The way it's run, the wealth of experience and friendly members on here and it's very positive links with Olympus themselves, the worth of that should not be underestimated.

Jetset95
12th September 2013, 09:54 AM
I think you mean you don't have any Four Thirds lenses :D

Ian

Er, yeah - thanks for spotting the deliberate mistake.

birdboy
12th September 2013, 10:09 AM
I can explain this. I felt that one of the most important issues for the new camera was its ability to shoot BIF with Four Thirds lenses. So last week I invited David Morison and Andy Elliot, two of our finest bird in flight photographers on our sites, to try out the E-M1 in secret. We met at Rutland Water.

Andy uses an E-5 but also has an E-M5 and he also has several Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds lenses, including the 300 f/2.8 and m.Zuiko 75-300. David traded his E-5 for a Canon EOS-7D, widely regarded as one of the best cameras for BIF but he also uses an E-M5. Between them they are a cornucopia of experience and expertise.

Andy was quite enthusiastic about the performance of the E-M1 with his lenses. David was less comfortable but he did like the way the E-M1 focused his Leica 14-150. If I recall, his 7-14 doesn't focus well on an E-M5 and that now focuses properly on the E-M1. For David the issue is not that the E-M1 is no good for BIF, it's just that he was hoping for a reasonably large improvement over his old E-5. Compared to the E-M1, his 7D can successfully lock onto very distant birds with amazing reliability and this is ideal for his need to identify birds. But he did say that his E-M5's image quality is better than the 7D.

Ed (Wee Man) commented on the forum that it was disappointing there were no events in Northern Ireland, so I put 2 and 2 together and invited him to the European press event venue at Castle Leslie on Tuesday, which is less than an hour from him. I'm sorry I could not invite more people from the region.

Ian

I think we will all benefit from these members experience. So I am very interested in their experiences. The E-M1 seems to be aimed as the replacement for the E5. I would guess that Andy's view will based upon a natural upgrade for Oly bodies. Its David's impressions I am most interested. I watched the debate over the launch of the E-M5 and was a little surprised that David went that way. When he got rid of his E5 I have missed his stunning pictures that he used to post. I think Oly do not claim to be the best BIF camera on the market and it seems that the 7D has that accolade. If the E-M1 can take sharp focus pictures of BIF given the extra pixels than the E5 it could well at least be on the same lap as the 7D. It has so many other features that add to its attractiveness.

I think Oly should give David a longer term test for wildlife / BIF because if he gets on with it and gives a good report I and I am sure others would buy on his recommendation*chr David (no relation to me)

Was there / will there be any write up about the Rutland day?

I for one am more excited out this new camera more than any other since I brought the E3 back in 2008.

Ian
12th September 2013, 10:28 AM
Unfortunately the birds at Rutland were not very obliging so we didn't have many opportunities to catch them in the air, but we did get some. I will post some here shortly.

You are right; the E-M1 is not claimed to be an incredible BIF camera. The message is that you can do BIF with the E-M1 when you couldn't with the E-M5. On top of that we feel that the BIF capabilities of the E-M1 are improved over the E-5. You now get 9 grouped AF points instead of 5 and the C-AF shooting rate is up to 6.5 fps if your lens can keep up.

We came to the same conclusion and I will try to arrange more time for David and Andy to use the camera.

Ian

Olybirder
12th September 2013, 10:46 AM
You are right; the E-M1 is not claimed to be an incredible BIF camera. The message is that you can do BIF with the E-M1 when you couldn't with the E-M5. On top of that we feel that the BIF capabilities of the E-M5 are improved over the E-5. You now get 9 grouped AF points instead of 5 and the C-AF shooting rate is up to 6.5 fps if your lens can keep up.
Is that the sort of thing which could be improved with firmware updates later or is that not possible?

Ron

birdboy
12th September 2013, 10:50 AM
On top of that we feel that the BIF capabilities of the E-M5 are improved over the E-5. You now get 9 grouped AF points instead of 5 and the C-AF shooting rate is up to 6.5 fps if your lens can keep up.
Ian

Do you mean the E-M1:) This Oly camera numbering system is very confusing, if they had call it an E7 you would not be making these mistakes:D:D
John

Ian
12th September 2013, 11:48 AM
Do you mean the E-M1:) This Oly camera numbering system is very confusing, if they had call it an E7 you would not be making these mistakes:D:D
John

Sorry - yes of course - I will change it now. I was typing E-M2 last night :D

Ian

Ian
12th September 2013, 11:49 AM
Is that the sort of thing which could be improved with firmware updates later or is that not possible?

Ron

I really don't know; probably unlikely.

Ian

pvasc
12th September 2013, 12:02 PM
Unfortunately the birds at Rutland were not very obliging so we didn't have many opportunities to catch them in the air, but we did get some. I will post some here shortly.

You are right; the E-M1 is not claimed to be an incredible BIF camera. The message is that you can do BIF with the E-M1 when you couldn't with the E-M5. On top of that we feel that the BIF capabilities of the E-M1 are improved over the E-5. You now get 9 grouped AF points instead of 5 and the C-AF shooting rate is up to 6.5 fps if your lens can keep up.

We came to the same conclusion and I will try to arrange more time for David and Andy to use the camera.

Ian

So now you brought up the group of 9, I have to ask. Does the group of 9 work like the E-30/E-5, where you have the center focus point the main one and if the target drifts hopefully one of the other 4 pick it up, or is it like on the E-M5/PL-5 where you have a group of nine and the camera decides what to focus on. Or ultimately is my understanding of both systems wrong? I haven't had much luck with the group of 9 on the E-PL5, but I am pretty sure that maybe me. Of course this maybe a non issue with the E-M1 because of the Duel FAST.

David M
12th September 2013, 10:44 PM
How come a photographer with nearly 4 decades of bird photography experience didn't get an invite? :D

drmarkf
13th September 2013, 07:36 AM
I really don't know; probably unlikely.

Ian

I think that's highly likely to be correct - it should be improved with a lens upgrade, though (ie when we get some faster, purpose-designed 'SHQ' m4/3 telephoto glass).

Ian
13th September 2013, 07:49 AM
So now you brought up the group of 9, I have to ask. Does the group of 9 work like the E-30/E-5, where you have the center focus point the main one and if the target drifts hopefully one of the other 4 pick it up, or is it like on the E-M5/PL-5 where you have a group of nine and the camera decides what to focus on. Or ultimately is my understanding of both systems wrong? I haven't had much luck with the group of 9 on the E-PL5, but I am pretty sure that maybe me. Of course this maybe a non issue with the E-M1 because of the Duel FAST.

Dual Fast simply refers to the camera's ability to use both PDAF and CDAF. Four Thirds lenses ONLY use PDAF. In C-AF TR (tracking mode) I had forgotten that this will work with Four Thirds lenses but it's not the same as being able to track something like a bird in flight in standard C-AF mode. I regard C-AF TR mode more of a way to focus on a subject and then have flexibility to re-compose while the focus remains on that subject. It's not designed for action photography.

C-AF (not the TR version) works with algorithms to maintain focus on a subject helped by predictive focus. Using data recorded concerning the subject's changing distance and position in the finder it will try to keep tabs on the subject and maintain focus. This can really only be done well with PDAF and is why the E-M5 and all earlier MFT cameras are pants at BIF, for example.

The E-5/30/3 all have a similar system to the E-M1 for C-AF but they have fewer focus points and most likely less powerful processing. The E-M1 can also shoot faster (although you need to use L mode for continuous shooting as the H mode only focuses the first frame).

To answer your question, yes the old four 'helper' points grouped around the central point is now 8 helper points grouped around a central point. They work in a similar way to the previous DSLRs. I don't know if it is different to the E-M5 arrangement but the underlying system will be different because the E-M5 is CDAF while the E-M1 in C-AF mode is always PDAF, even with MFT lenses. One slight exception with MFT lenses is when the subject strays outside the central PDAF point cluster. When this happens the E-M1 will attempt to maintain focus using CDAF, but I think you have to have chosen an all-points mode rather than a grouped (9 points) mode.

Ian

Ian
13th September 2013, 07:51 AM
How come a photographer with nearly 4 decades of bird photography experience didn't get an invite? :D

I knew there wasn't enough time to get a plane ticket booked! :D

Ian

David Morison
13th September 2013, 09:34 AM

Ian

Yes, I did not feel quite so happy using the E-M1 for BIF as I had hoped, but to be fair I didn't really spend the time setting the camera up to my requirements and I had brought along the 7D as a benchmark - so it was bound to disappoint in this situation. It took me a couple of months to set up the 7D before I felt I was getting the best out of it. However I really liked the feel of the E-M1 and I'm looking forward to getting to grips with the settings as I am confident that it will perform much better than I managed to achieve in a few hours at Rutland. On the issue of the 14-150mm I was impressed with the speed of the AF and also it's ability to focus in very low light (the centre of a very dark bush). With the E-M5 and 7-14mm there are occasions, even in good light, when it really won't lock focus at all but the E-M1 does the job pretty well, although not as fast as with the Leica. Anyhow my confidence, especially after having downloaded the Manual is such that I have pre-ordered one from SRS and hopefully will be posting some BIF shots around the end of October.
Meanwhile this is a 100% crop of a jpeg, straight out of the camera, taken with the Leica of a very dim subject but against the light at Rutland - 3200 ISO.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P9050318.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/65539)

David

pvasc
13th September 2013, 11:35 AM
Dual Fast simply refers to the camera's ability to use both PDAF and CDAF. Four Thirds lenses ONLY use PDAF. In C-AF TR (tracking mode) I had forgotten that this will work with Four Thirds lenses but it's not the same as being able to track something like a bird in flight in standard C-AF mode. I regard C-AF TR mode more of a way to focus on a subject and then have flexibility to re-compose while the focus remains on that subject. It's not designed for action photography.

C-AF (not the TR version) works with algorithms to maintain focus on a subject helped by predictive focus. Using data recorded concerning the subject's changing distance and position in the finder it will try to keep tabs on the subject and maintain focus. This can really only be done well with PDAF and is why the E-M5 and all earlier MFT cameras are pants at BIF, for example.

The E-5/30/3 all have a similar system to the E-M1 for C-AF but they have fewer focus points and most likely less powerful processing. The E-M1 can also shoot faster (although you need to use L mode for continuous shooting as the H mode only focuses the first frame).

To answer your question, yes the old four 'helper' points grouped around the central point is now 8 helper points grouped around a central point. They work in a similar way to the previous DSLRs. I don't know if it is different to the E-M5 arrangement but the underlying system will be different because the E-M5 is CDAF while the E-M1 in C-AF mode is always PDAF, even with MFT lenses. One slight exception with MFT lenses is when the subject strays outside the central PDAF point cluster. When this happens the E-M1 will attempt to maintain focus using CDAF, but I think you have to have chosen an all-points mode rather than a grouped (9 points) mode.

Ian

Thanks, that has cleared up my confusion. The manual, although pretty good, didn't give a clear answer.

Steve Lane
13th September 2013, 12:13 PM
I think I will be buying the body, but not for a while yet. This is the first Olympus digital camera that has made my head turn since the E-1. I am so pleased that Olympus has finally got with the program and produced a small, rugged professional body.

My immediate photographic needs are for a new laptop, so I cannot see myself buying back into the system for at least a year. Maybe by then the price will have dropped a little and any bugs will have been ironed out.

It looks like my old four thirds lenses will have a new lease of life after all...

Bikie John
13th September 2013, 04:10 PM
Dual Fast simply refers to the camera's ability to use both PDAF and CDAF.
<<<Snipping Ian's full explanation as a further repeat will just clog up space>>>
When this happens the E-M1 will attempt to maintain focus using CDAF, but I think you have to have chosen an all-points mode rather than a grouped (9 points) mode.

Ian

Thanks Ian. That is a very clear explanation of something that has confused me all along.

John

birdboy
17th September 2013, 07:08 AM

Not that I can afford either :(

Well its 5 days since you raised this question and I could not answer it then. I have had the chance to handle the new camera and 12-40 f2.8 pro lens.

The answer is b by a mile*yes.

There are a couple of things that I am not quite sure regarding the E-M1 (performance with 50-200mm swd, BIF and panning and focus peaking on my sigma lens) but their are other features I really like.

Your question starts with an IF. So do I place an order before the end of October to get the grip and MMF3 or wait for the next model?