PDA

View Full Version : 12-40mm f2.8 Pro

Pierre L
10th September 2013, 11:42 PM
We know that Ian has had an OM-D E-M1 for a couple of weeks. My question to Ian is "do you also have 12-40mm f2.8 Pro?". I assume that this lens will also work well with the other mft cameras (e.g. E-P5 or E-PM1).

Could I ask Ian to try the lens with other bodies and update us, please? Having recently bought an E-P5 (because I wanted the special-offer 17mm f1.8 and VF-4), I am sure I will want a 12-40mm in due course but may have to wait a while for the E-M1.

OM USer
11th September 2013, 09:43 AM
+1

Some people into MFT must be thinking about choosing between the 12-40mm/F2.8 (and later the 40-150mm/F2.8) or getting an E-M1 (+adapter) and the 12-60mm & 60-200mm. I wonder if Olympus have any thoughts on what they want their buyers to do.

Some (and I include myself in this group) have no desire to get the E-M1 but I may at some point in the future get whatever is the E-M5 replacement at that time and that replacement may have PDAF capabilities so I am sort of interested in potential FT lens ownership.

In the meantime the 12-40mm looks like a promising addition to the MFT lens lineup so it will be good to see if it works on existing MFT cameras as well as it presumably does on the E-M1 which will have the latest software. Larger lenses do mean more weight, both overall and in the focussing elements and this may have an impact on focussing speeds on the existing MFT lineup. On the positive side the extra light gathering will mean better contrast for the CDAF to work with - in theory!

Only slightly off topic, am I correct that the free MMF3 adapter is only available with E-M1 purchase with proof of E-Volt DSLR ownership so not for those thinking I'll buy an E-M1 and an FT lens?.

Ian
11th September 2013, 03:10 PM
Frustratingly, there is only one 14-40 in the country and it was loaned to a well known department store for catalogue photography and the person who was looking after it left at the end of an internship while her boss was on holiday so the lens has been in limbo for the last week or so!

Fingers crossed, we will get it back in time for the e-group meet in London tomorrow.

But I have had the use of one in Ireland yesterday where the E-M1 was officially launched.

The 14-140 is completely compatible with all Micro Four Thirds cameras - apart from the function button feature which will only work with newer Olympus camera models. The E-P5 supports the function button :)

Ian

Zuiko
11th September 2013, 04:28 PM
Frustratingly, there is only one 14-40 in the country and it was loaned to a well known department store for catalogue photography and the person who was looking after it left at the end of an internship while her boss was on holiday so the lens has been in limbo for the last week or so!

Fingers crossed, we will get it back in time for the e-group meet in London tomorrow.

But I have had the use of one in Ireland yesterday where the E-M1 was officially launched.

The 14-140 is completely compatible with all Micro Four Thirds cameras - apart from the function button feature which will only work with newer Olympus camera models. The E-P5 supports the function button :)

Ian

So not only is there a new 12-40mm but also a 14-40mm and 14-140mm.

Nice! :D

Phill D
11th September 2013, 07:39 PM
Was that a typo or did you really mean a new 14-140!!!

Zuiko
11th September 2013, 07:41 PM
Was that a typo or did you really mean a new 14-140!!!

I think we can put that down as a typo. ;)

Ulfric M Douglas
11th September 2013, 07:54 PM
You know ... being pedantic and all that ... this is the sub-forum named

"Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm."

George Dorn
11th September 2013, 08:00 PM
I think we can put that down as a typo. ;)

A Freudian typo perhaps :D

Phill D
11th September 2013, 08:18 PM
Aw a typo......that's a shame :(
Don't forget the x2 for 35mm equivalent Ulfric.

PeterBirder
11th September 2013, 08:18 PM

Ah... but the effective focal length is 24-80mm.:D

Zuiko
11th September 2013, 08:20 PM

Pedantic Ulfric, surely not? Totally out of character! :D

As this was in the telephoto sub-forum that could be why Ian tried to introduce a surpise 14-140mm into the conversation. :D

I've moved the thread to somewhere that I hope you'll find more appropriate. *chr

Zuiko
11th September 2013, 08:21 PM
A Freudian typo perhaps :D

Most certainly. :D

Zuiko
11th September 2013, 08:23 PM
Ah... but the effective focal length is 24-80mm.:D

I did think of that, as a reason not to move the thread but hey, I've done it now. :D

Seonnaidh
22nd October 2013, 05:47 PM
The only thing I'd be pedantic about would be the cost of the appropriate lens hood.
Assuming that Olympus don't supply one as standard when you buy the lens.
Not a deal breaker but bl**dy annoying when you consider the price.

Ian
22nd October 2013, 06:06 PM
The only thing I'd be pedantic about would be the cost of the appropriate lens hood.
Assuming that Olympus don't supply one as standard when you buy the lens.
Not a deal breaker but bl**dy annoying when you consider the price.

The lens hood is included :D It also has a quick-release mechanism!

Ian

Seonnaidh
22nd October 2013, 06:26 PM
Wahey.
Looking better all the time. An Em-1, a 12-40mm battery grip, and something like a 70-300mm and I'd be giggling.

David M
22nd October 2013, 11:08 PM
Some one want to explain the purpose of a quick release lens hood?

peak4
22nd October 2013, 11:11 PM
Some one want to explain the purpose of a quick release lens hood?

Makes it easier to lose, so more profit for Olympus Spares Dept. :D

David M
22nd October 2013, 11:35 PM
Good point, I hadn't considered that.

Zuiko
23rd October 2013, 12:07 AM
The lens hood is included :D

Ian

That's a shame, I was hoping to buy just the hood and make do without the lens! *laugh

Zuiko
23rd October 2013, 12:08 AM
Wahey.
Looking better all the time. An Em-1, a 12-40mm battery grip, and something like a 70-300mm and I'd be giggling.

Treat yourself Jon, you deserve a good giggle. :D