PDA

View Full Version : corrupt cards

sapper
10th December 2007, 12:50 AM
Went out this evening, well, last night actualy, just realised the time, took some shots with my E 3 using 12-60 & 7-14. Downloaded the files & got an error message, files appear to be damaged. This happened at the Worx event with some of the pics I took there. Did a test using same lenses but different card, two pics, both would not import into lightroom or iphoto on my mac. Any ideas as to what may be wrong.
I did suspect the problem lay with my E3 but on reflection ity happened with an E 3 provided by oly at the Worx event. Frustrating.

Dave.

beardedwombat
10th December 2007, 06:58 AM
Not familiar with Macs but assuming your software is up to date the problem could be the card reader. If it is a built-in reader try disconnecting Mac from mains and reconnecting. If it is a separate reader, unplug it, reboot and reconnect. Could be a bent pin in the reader - borrow a reader from a chum and try that. I use a Sandisk Extreme reader with Extreme III & IV cards - very quick indeed.
Cheers
Chris

art frames
10th December 2007, 08:32 AM
Dave

From WORX and after - the only files I have had trouble with are RAW files. Are these jpgs? If they are mixed jpg and RAW then it is possibly an issue with the software. (I always shoot with mixed to keep the RAW as negs).

I have seen issues with cards that seem to only be happy after being formatted in the E3. Indeed some said they had problems with the cards given away at the WORX event.

I am thinking of updating my MAC when all of the initial issues with leopard are done and hope that aperture will be brought up to date with the E3... as I don't think there is a good, stable RAW developer yet. And being a Adobe CS2 user Adobe won't update the RAW engine in software that is 18 months old! need to pay 400 for that service.

At the moment I am using the Master software which works but at a painful pace.

Peter

Went out this evening, well, last night actualy, just realised the time, took some shots with my E 3 using 12-60 & 7-14. Downloaded the files & got an error message, files appear to be damaged. This happened at the Worx event with some of the pics I took there. Did a test using same lenses but different card, two pics, both would not import into lightroom or iphoto on my mac. Any ideas as to what may be wrong.
I did suspect the problem lay with my E3 but on reflection ity happened with an E 3 provided by oly at the Worx event. Frustrating.

Dave.

Ian
10th December 2007, 08:47 AM
I have used a wide variety of cards - SanDisk Extreme III and IV, Kingston UDMA 266x, Lexar Pro UDMA 300x, ATP UDMA, Lexar 133xl, Sony Memory Stick Duo (via an adapter) and other - but I have only ever had problems with the E-410 and E-510 before the version 1.1 firmware upgrade and this was only with UDMA cards.

Ian

sapper
10th December 2007, 09:08 AM
Not familiar with Macs but assuming your software is up to date the problem could be the card reader. If it is a built-in reader try disconnecting Mac from mains and reconnecting. If it is a separate reader, unplug it, reboot and reconnect. Could be a bent pin in the reader - borrow a reader from a chum and try that. I use a Sandisk Extreme reader with Extreme III & IV cards - very quick indeed.
Cheers
Chris

Tried this Chris, this morning with an E330, different card and reader. Same result. Going to try again but using a PC next time.

Dave.

sapper
10th December 2007, 09:12 AM
Dave

From WORX and after - the only files I have had trouble with are RAW files. Are these jpgs? If they are mixed jpg and RAW then it is possibly an issue with the software. (I always shoot with mixed to keep the RAW as negs).

I have seen issues with cards that seem to only be happy after being formatted in the E3. Indeed some said they had problems with the cards given away at the WORX event.

I am thinking of updating my MAC when all of the initial issues with leopard are done and hope that aperture will be brought up to date with the E3... as I don't think there is a good, stable RAW developer yet. And being a Adobe CS2 user Adobe won't update the RAW engine in software that is 18 months old! need to pay 400 for that service.

At the moment I am using the Master software which works but at a painful pace.

Peter

I had problems with the card given out at Worx, not all the shots but a mixture of RAW & JPEG. I shoot RAW but used the card in Ians E 3 which was set for JPEG, they were OK as were some of the RAW but some RAW I couldn't download.
I will try on a PC next, then on my laptop which has leopard.
Very frustrating:confused:

Dave.

Ian
10th December 2007, 10:09 AM
I had problems with the card given out at Worx, not all the shots but a mixture of RAW & JPEG. I shoot RAW but used the card in Ians E 3 which was set for JPEG, they were OK as were some of the RAW but some RAW I couldn't download.

Dave.

I shoot RAW+JPEG by default.

Ian

art frames
10th December 2007, 10:26 AM

Dave.

Dave

If you narrow your problems to just RAW files try Olympus Master 2 on the MAC as that works. I had problems with RAW including those from WORX and suspect that this is a similar issue. I believe you will need to update it to the Leopard compatible version. I have kept my OS to Tiger until all of these problems are solved.

Peter

sapper
10th December 2007, 10:41 AM
Dave

If you narrow your problems to just RAW files try Olympus Master 2 on the MAC as that works. I had problems with RAW including those from WORX and suspect that this is a similar issue. I believe you will need to update it to the Leopard compatible version. I have kept my OS to Tiger until all of these problems are solved.

Peter
Just did another test using Master 2, boy is it slow!! But I was able to import a RAW file. Then I had to open Lightroom to edit the JPEG it produced. A bind.
I will just have to use Master 2 untill either Adobe or mac sort it out. I have updated Lightroom and it did work for some files.
Strange thing is that I couldn't open files taken on my E 330 either. I have had no trouble with this camera before.
Bring back film!!:mad: (Only kidding:D)
Dave.

art frames
10th December 2007, 11:11 AM
Dave

I agree. Master needs updating. It is otherwise good.

If you check with Adobe I think you have the same issue I do. Updating to the latest RAW engine works with only the latest software and not previous versions. So you are forced to update to the latest version to use the latest cameras. And if you have two Adobe products say Photoshop and Lightroom then updating one affects the other. So you need them both to be latest versions. And you get to pay UK prices!

Expensive business buying a camera isn't it.

Peter :(

alert_bri
11th December 2007, 10:34 AM
I just recently bought a Sandisk Extreme IV 4GB card, and also the firewire CF reader by Sandisk (which was a disaster - as the firewire port on my Dell Inspiron 9400 is incompatible)... but anyway, there's some recovery software included with both, have you access to/tried this?

Regarding RAW converters, I've been using LightZone for some time now, and have zero problems - it supports all of the Olympus cameras, and processes jpeg + RAW in pretty much the the same way.

Kind Regards

Brian

emirpprime
11th December 2007, 12:06 PM
I too had a problem with the Worx cards, no joy in either of my card readers going into PC or Mac, nothing showed up. This is just accessing the card as a disk, not using Master/Studio etc. However when i plugged the USB cable into the camera (with card inserted) and set the camera to storage mode, I could see and download the files fine. I haven't used the card since but presumed it was because the card needed formatting in the E3 for some reason. Very odd it didn't show in wither PC or Mac though.
Hope you recover the files,
Phil