PDA

View Full Version : Rituals at St Pancras

shirley
6th September 2008, 08:09 AM
I took this earlier this year and would like some feedback as to whether people feel this works at any level.
Thank you for looking.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Rituals_at_St_Pancras.jpg

knikki
6th September 2008, 11:52 AM
I like the idea and the movement of the people

However I find it unbalanced with all the majority of the people in the right hand corner.
Also there are a number of bodies which are 'cut' which to my eyes looks odd.

Not sure if it was grab shot. Personnally I would have waited till there were more people across the frame then hit the shutter button and maybe zoomed out a touch to get the complete Rituals sign in the top left. :D

shirley
6th September 2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks Knikki, it was a grab shot, no time to wait or take two shots. I may go back and see if I can develop the idea as I think it has potential.
In the meantime I have re edited the version I have, I think it is improved but I think the picture is unbalanced because all the interest is on LHS.
Of course I could crop so that the sign and the person are central, making a portrait shot!

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Rituals_edited-2.jpg

theMusicMan
6th September 2008, 02:03 PM
Hi Shirley - I agree with you that the idea certainly has bags of potential. I did a few studies of a similar type as these but taken at Paddington station and I feel there are definite (and similar) opportunities here.

If you're interested (and I don't wish to hijack your thread) the set I call 'Paddington at Work (http://www.reflectingme.com/p16373383/)' can be found at the link here.

shirley
6th September 2008, 02:20 PM
No problem with adding to the thread John, do feel free to upload a few pics if you would like to.
I have had a look at the link, they are very evocative photographs, there is a certain quality about them which I cannot put my finger on, its a good thing BTW.
I have quite a few other pics taken at St Pancras Station, when I have time I may go back to them and have another look. A friend said to me a while ago that he always leaves his pics for while before editing them and I am beginning to see the point of that, it means that you are not quite as emotionally attached to them and can be more objective. I have also found that as I have started to improve photographically, images I originally thought had no potential actually could make a decent pic. eg the busker picture I uploaded earlier in the week.
What do other people do? Do you edit straight away or leave for later?
Thanks
Shirley

Graham_of_Rainham
6th September 2008, 02:50 PM
This is one that you can play with for hours, exploring a whole range of variables.

The one thing that may serve you well is that pictures tend to read left to right (especially if they have words in) so viewers "expect" the direction of travel to be left to right. But hey that's what makes breaking rules such fun.

Also your original image had most people walking out of the frame. You may want to try having the majority having just walked in.

I think you need one single static figure (off centre) to balance the words and dummies on the left.

As I said Play for hours. Have Fun

*chr

knikki
6th September 2008, 03:38 PM
I think the second croped image is much better as you have the figure walking into the frame, which works (lots of motor and sports shots are similar, subject moving into frame).