PDA

View Full Version : The 'That camera' forum

Ian
30th August 2013, 04:59 PM
Olympus is running a teaser campaign, the rumour sites have gone potty, something must be happening :)

So here is a forum that, if all signs suggest accurately, will become the dedicated forum for 'That camera...'

Please post your comments about the camera we are all wondering about here from now.

Ian

Graham_of_Rainham
30th August 2013, 05:24 PM
I have an MP4 copy of the original leaked video if you would like to put it on here ;)

Ian
30th August 2013, 05:29 PM
That's completely up to you, Graham!

Ian

OM USer
30th August 2013, 05:30 PM
Even now he can't call it by its name.

Graham_of_Rainham
30th August 2013, 05:58 PM
That's completely up to you, Graham!

Ian

I was teasing :D

I can send you a copy on CD if you don't have it. But I guess you can make your own. ;)

Ian
30th August 2013, 06:20 PM
I don't need to see it a second time :)

Ian

snaarman
30th August 2013, 06:23 PM
I don't know about you lot.. I don't pay any attention to rumours

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/614/secret_camera.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/65119)

peak4
30th August 2013, 07:50 PM
For folks in South Yorkshire/North Derbyshire, something to whet your appetite from my local, and highly recommended dealer.

http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/Secret-Olympus-Launch-Event---21st-September-2013.htm?utm_source=Mailing-List&utm_campaign=81ab606c3b-August_2013_michael_s5_28_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c219f51471-81ab606c3b-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D&gooal=eyJjaWQiOiI4MWFiNjA2YzNiIiwidGFnIjoiQXVndXN0 X0VkaXRpb243XzI2XzIwMTMiLCJ1aWQiOiIwMGU5MWI5ZGJjOD Q0OTQ1MDExZWI5ODVjIn0%3D%7CcGVha3JlY292ZXJ5QGJ0aW5 0ZXJuZXQuY29t&mc_cid=81ab606c3b&mc_eid=%5BUNIQID%5D#.UiD2cuU7qDc (http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/Secret-Olympus-Launch-Event---21st-September-2013.htm?utm_source=Mailing-List&utm_campaign=81ab606c3b-August_2013_michael_s5_28_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c219f51471-81ab606c3b-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D&gooal=eyJjaWQiOiI4MWFiNjA2YzNiIiwidGFnIjoiQXVndXN0 X0VkaXRpb243XzI2XzIwMTMiLCJ1aWQiOiIwMGU5MWI5ZGJjOD Q0OTQ1MDExZWI5ODVjIn0%3D%7CcGVha3JlY292ZXJ5QGJ0aW5 0ZXJuZXQuY29t&mc_cid=81ab606c3b&mc_eid=%5BUNIQID%5D#.UiD2cuU7qDc)

Wow isn't that a big URL, it must be important :D

Zuiko
30th August 2013, 08:03 PM
Even now he can't call it by its name.

A camera called Voldemort! :eek:

Nick Temple-Fry
30th August 2013, 08:10 PM

But perhaps the camera name is a Riddle, should we not instead know it as Tom?.

Particularly as it's only nascent

Nick

Zuiko
30th August 2013, 08:39 PM

Nick

TOM?

Tomorrow's OM..... I like it! :D

StephenL
30th August 2013, 09:23 PM
Ooh, what a lot of buttons! Maybe we should call it the Pearly Queen?

Zuiko
30th August 2013, 09:26 PM
I love that the On/Off switch derives directly from the original OM-1. :)

pdk42
30th August 2013, 10:06 PM
I'm really hoping that there's some fatal flaw in this camera - otherwise I'll be agonising between buying it and feeding the family for a month!

bredman
30th August 2013, 10:13 PM
I'm really hoping that there's some fatal flaw in this camera - otherwise I'll be agonising between buying it and feeding the family for a month!

Send them out scrumping. :D

David M
30th August 2013, 10:19 PM
Freaky, SWMBO is watching a Harry Potter film while I catch up on the forums.

It's a long weekend in Canada so we're getting thunder and heavy rain which means DVDs as the satellite's out.

birdboy
30th August 2013, 10:34 PM
Olympus is running a teaser campaign, the rumour sites have gone potty, something must be happening :)

So here is a forum that, if all signs suggest accurately, will become the dedicated forum for 'That camera...'

Please post your comments about the camera we are all wondering about here from now.

Ian

If I condense what has been said officially and leaked A camera that "Itís set to herald a whole new world of photography"

How about an OM1 D with a back that opens out not to put film in but to put the sensor in and then there will be a whole array of sensors to suit whatever lighting requirements you need.:D
John

Zuiko
30th August 2013, 10:56 PM
If I condense what has been said officially and leaked A camera that "Itís set to herald a whole new world of photography"

How about an OM1 D with a back that opens out not to put film in but to put the sensor in and then there will be a whole array of sensors to suit whatever lighting requirements you need.:D
John

Think of the dust! :eek:

cariadus
30th August 2013, 11:16 PM
John

That sounds like a great idea to me. You could have a monochrome sensor à la Leica Monochrom, a Velvia-esque colour sensor, an IR sensor and maybe even a 'normal' sensor.

It wouldn't be the first interchangeable sensor camera, though:
Ricoh GXR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ian
31st August 2013, 07:11 AM
That sounds like a great idea to me. You could have a monochrome sensor ŗ la Leica Monochrom, a Velvia-esque colour sensor, an IR sensor and maybe even a 'normal' sensor.

It wouldn't be the first interchangeable sensor camera, though:
Ricoh GXR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricoh_GXR)

Ricoh's GXR system wasn't an interchangeable sensor. Each module is a camera complete with its own sensor and non-interchangeable lens.

Ian

Wee man
31st August 2013, 08:29 AM
Re dust this is solved by using a black out bag as per film days. This is an attempt to bring back the ' good old days' bag would be made from lint free material but with a transparent window. Each module would have a different ISO rating. ........... Looking back at this it almost makes sense?

Iansky
31st August 2013, 10:26 AM
Stoooooooooop, enough already, I am fed up of having to wipe my keyboard after seeing images of an EM-1 and drooling.........!!

cariadus
31st August 2013, 11:11 AM
Ricoh's GXR system wasn't an interchangeable sensor. Each module is a camera complete with its own sensor and non-interchangeable lens.

No the sensor wasn't interchangeable in the sense that we were (jokingly) talking about but even so it was possible to use different sensors, albeit connected to a lens. Having a true interchangeable lens system and, separately, being able to change the sensor seems a logical next step. ;)

I'm not sure I'll be rushing out to buy the EM-1, but may well be tempted by the 12-40, depending on price. I've held off buying the Lumix 12-35 hoping that Olympus might come up with something.

Zuiko
31st August 2013, 11:22 AM
No the sensor wasn't interchangeable in the sense that we were (jokingly) talking about but even so it was possible to use different sensors, albeit connected to a lens. Having a true interchangeable lens system and, separately, being able to change the sensor seems a logical next step. ;)

I'm not sure I'll be rushing out to buy the EM-1, but may well be tempted by the 12-40, depending on price. I've held off buying the Lumix 12-35 hoping that Olympus might come up with something.

The 12-40mm is particularly appealing to me, depending upon price, size and weight. It might be something to save for in the long term and wait for a few secondhand ones to appear. For purely selfish reasons I was rather hoping for a variable aperture f2.8/4 zoom that would be smaller and cheaper. However, looking at the bigger picture and the overall good of the system I have to admit that what we appear to be getting is a much better option. :)

StephenL
31st August 2013, 01:07 PM
If it's as good as the Panasonic 12-35 it will be a good one. However, as it's Olympus, it will be even better.

Ulfric M Douglas
31st August 2013, 06:52 PM
Is this the first "new gear" thread where Ian hasn't tried diverting everyone to another forum?

Good.

I wanna see a 12-60 on the beast at the very first shop session!

George Dorn
31st August 2013, 07:12 PM
I wanna see a 12-60 on the beast at the very first shop session!

Hear hear! 12-40mm be blowed!

dbutch
1st September 2013, 10:04 AM
Looking at the program dial what is the symbol on it with the 3 rectangles?
And does the rear control dial have a button in the middle?
Dave

ian p
1st September 2013, 11:09 AM
It is the Photo Story feature that first appeared on the XZ-10, and now on the E-P5.

http://cache.olympusamerica.com/static/getolympus/products/ep5/images/default_splash.jpg

Apparently real pros absolutely need it right on the mode dial. If you don't use photo story all of the time, then maybe you ain't a real pro!

birdboy
1st September 2013, 11:15 AM

Yes it was said tongue in cheek but Olympus have stated that
"Thereís something big on the horizon.
A new OLYMPUS flagship camera with interchangeable lenses.
Itís set to herald a whole new world of photography"

Now "to herald a whole new world of photography" it has to be something that no other DSLR currently offers. A DSLR that can be ungraded without having to buy a whole new body fits the bill for me. Compare it with changing CPU's in computers. As for dust I cannot think of an easier way to clean a sensor than take it out under the right careful precautions. Technically possible as this may be it is not really a serious suggestion just a little aside to while away the time until we know.

John

Ross the fiddler
1st September 2013, 11:53 AM

Or Tom Riddle?

Oh, what a riddle this is! :rolleyes:

Ross the fiddler
1st September 2013, 12:00 PM

Nick

TOM?

Tomorrow's OM..... I like it! :D

Nicely thought out! *yes

Greytop
1st September 2013, 01:30 PM
I don't know about you lot.. I don't pay any attention to rumours

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/614/secret_camera.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/65119)

Looks like a very nice bit of kit :)

GRAHAMJ
1st September 2013, 01:41 PM
Wonder if it will have a lens hood included????:rolleyes:

gazza95
1st September 2013, 03:18 PM
Am sure I read somewhere that 12-40 is designated a pro lens and they will have lens hoods include..... lets see :)

OM USer
1st September 2013, 03:26 PM
Pete, thats a nice top view of the camera.

I too recall "that rumour site" suggesting that a lens hood was included.

Ulfric M Douglas
1st September 2013, 07:43 PM
Looking at that picture it keeps screaming at me : "Strap Lugs you dolts!"
Gimme the nice slots off the e-620, G3, etc ... sometime.

Just musing.

ian p
1st September 2013, 10:13 PM
If there is no free lens hood with the Pro lens, I'll sulk and not buy another Olympus. And dump all my m43 gear and go back to 1/2.3. As a 12 Euro hood from Amazon just does not cut it. Quality wise.

Ross the fiddler
1st September 2013, 10:32 PM
Looks like a very nice bit of kit :)

Yes, and my wife has already said I can't have it. :( But maybe I can do a few extra instrument repairs or sales & save some cash for it, ;) because it might be a very nice body to use the 14-54 II & Sigma 150 macro lenses on (having two bodies, E-M1 & E-M5 to avoid frequent lens changes). The M.ZD 40-150 F2.8 lens (for next year) sounds very interesting though.

Olybirder
12th September 2013, 01:33 PM
I see that this section is no longer called 'That Camera' but has the shiny new title 'Olympus OM-D E-M1'. All I need to do now is work out how to remember where those blasted hyphens go before my camera turns up. OM-D EM-1, O-MD E-M1, O-MD EM-1, OMG!

Ron