PDA

View Full Version : E-3: In Camera noise filter... on or off?

theMusicMan
9th December 2007, 11:00 PM
I have been reading with interest a few threads on several forums regarding the function of in camera Noise reduction on the E-3. What I can't fully make out due to inexperience I guess, is if it is best to have this turned on or turned off.

I appreciate that this will depend on perhaps what you are shooting, and how you post process, but what are the implications of having it turned on or off? Why is there so much talk about it...? Some people say they'd never turn it on, and others say they use it all the time.

Can someone enlighten me on this subject please. Ta...

Ian
10th December 2007, 08:56 AM
I have been reading with interest a few threads on several forums regarding the function of in camera Noise reduction on the E-3. What I can't fully make out due to inexperience I guess, is if it is best to have this turned on or turned off.

I appreciate that this will depend on perhaps what you are shooting, and how you post process, but what are the implications of having it turned on or off? Why is there so much talk about it...? Some people say they'd never turn it on, and others say they use it all the time.

Can someone enlighten me on this subject please. Ta...

The noise filter balances the trade off between resolution and noise grain. The Standard mode, in my view, is a good compromise. Olympus are rather unusual in giving the photographer a choice of noise filter settings that range from virtually no noise filtering to quite a heavy level of noise filtering.

Mainly designed for in-camera JPEGs, Olympus Studio (and Master) will also set the default settings in RAW processing.

My personal feeling, as I usually record RAW and JPEG simultaneously, is to use the standard noise filter mode so that if I need to use camera JPEGs they are a good, ready to use, compromise, but if I need to achieve higher quality, I'd use RAW.

Ian