PDA

View Full Version : Bought a E-M5 OMD

DerekC
18th August 2013, 09:13 AM
Recently I bought a E-PL3 from Paul on this forum for SWMBO. It's the 1st m43 I have tried and I really liked it. So much so I went out and bought a E-M5 OMD body. I resisted buying m43 for so long as I have invested so much money in 43 HG & SHG lens and as many waiting on a new body to make good use of them. The reason I bought the E-M5 is we are going on a cruise in 2 weeks time and I wanted something more compact.
The problem is now I need some lens and the budget is not massive. I have thought about the 75-300 II for reach but looking for a standard and mid range zoom.
I have looked at the 12-50 & Panny 14-45. The advantage of the 12-50 seems weather sealing.
What is the olympus m40-150 like?
The other option is a MMF3 adapter and 12-60 & 50-200 how will they perform?

I don't know much about the m43 lens as I have discounted them for most of my photography, Motorsport, aviation & steam railways.

Any advise greatly appreciated

StephenL
18th August 2013, 09:23 AM
The m40-150 is a great lens. Like its bigger brother, it punches well above its weight.

The 12-50 isn't a bad lens - in fact its very good. I don't use mine because I prefer a wide aperture, that's all.

I've got to say that you'll be disappointed with the AF performance of the 12-60 and 50-200. They weren't designed for the E-M5, and it shows.

brian1208
18th August 2013, 09:36 AM
the 12-50 kit lens is said to be of variable quality, I rate mine highly as it gives good results (printed to A3+) for everything from semi-macro through studio portrait to landscapes and panos. The weather sealing is a real bonus if you are going to be out and about in variable conditions

I don't like the feel of the oly 40-150 as it feels a bit light and plastic but it is capable of excellent results.

These two + the EM-5 make for a very competent and lightweight travel system

Wally
18th August 2013, 09:41 AM
I'm of the same mind as Brian1208. I bought the 40-150 and sent it straight back. By all accounts, good glass... shame about the other parts. For the price, it just felt cheap and nasty + no pouch or lens hood = extra cost on top.

OlyPaul
18th August 2013, 09:45 AM
Recently I bought a E-PL3 from Paul on this forum forum for SWMBO. It's the 1st m43 I have tried and I really liked it.

What is the olympus m40-150 like?

Any advise greatly appreciated

Derek I thought you might be swayed over once you played with that E-PL3, you will love the E-M5.

As to the m40-150mm, it is one of my favourite lenses for most subjects including portraits when I do not have my m45mm f1.8 handy.

As to quality and sharpness you judge, this was taken at the long end 150mm (300mm) and wide open at f5.6.

A 100% pixel peeping crop.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1614/Picture00012.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/64640)

For the price, it just felt cheap and nasty + no pouch or lens hood = extra cost on top.

Personaly I love mine just because it is light and it may feel cheap but I have used mine day in and day out since going mft and it has not deterated a bit unlike some more expensive zoom tele's I have owned where the zoom mechanism has gone sloppy and devloped creep over the same amount of time. Also brought a lens hood for £3.99.:)

IainMacD
18th August 2013, 11:21 AM
I have used the ZD 12-60mm on my E-PL5 for landscape shots to test it side by side with the results from the E-5. Using a tripod and a well lit stationary subject I didn't notice any problem with AF.
I would post the results on here, but with all the messing about with 2 cameras, 2 tripods, adapters etc... I forgot to turn off IS :eek: The E-PL5 results were quite a lot better in my opinion, but I need to repeat with the correct IS settings.
The other thing worth mentioning is that the 12-60 looks a bit daft on an E-PL5 :D

David M
18th August 2013, 11:39 AM
I find the manual focus action of the SWD lenses very nice. I used my 12-60 yesterday alongside my MF primes.

DerekC
18th August 2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the advise so far.
I good to get a real world feel for the kit. I've had a go with the OMD with a Panasonic 14-42 which I bought to go on the E-PL3. I was suprised how bright it was for a cheap lens.
I will look to upgrade lens in the future but for now so close to the holiday the budget has to be tighter.
Has any body used any of the shorter zoom panasonic lens such as the 14-45? Also the Panasonic 45-200 I have heard it can be a bit soft at the long end.

Tempted by the price of the 40-150 but it is interesting the comments about the feel as I have own both versions of the 4/3 40-150 and the 1st version felt better made.

I know there are some excellent fast primes from Olympus but initially I want a small amount of lens for a walk around kit.

DerekC
18th August 2013, 12:56 PM
Derek I thought you might be swayed over once you played with that E-PL3, you will love the E-M5.

Thank Paul a very good camera, but this is now gonna cost me. :D

The image comparison you posted taken with the 40-150 are very good thanks for showing them.

Glee
18th August 2013, 01:47 PM
I will join with the rest in endorsing the 40-150mm, best value lens I have ever bought. The Panasonic 14-45 is a sharp lens but i can testify from personal experience it suffers from severe chromic aberration on OMD and EP3. It's easy to put right in LR but it may put some off.

Swordfish
18th August 2013, 07:47 PM
If I could be cheeky, could I direct you towards my mint 12-50mm which is still for sale under the For Sale section?

Martin

Glee
18th August 2013, 07:54 PM
I am assuming the offer is not to me, I recently sold my copy of a12-50mm. I never used it much and optically I prefer the 14-45 for overall sharpness despite its shortcomings.

Best wishes

DerekC
19th August 2013, 07:46 AM
If I could be cheeky, could I direct you towards my mint 12-50mm which is still for sale under the For Sale section?

Martin

Thanks for the info currently looking at all options.

Jetset95
19th August 2013, 08:44 AM
I've used both the Oly 40-150mm and the Panny 45-200mm lenses on both the OM-D and a G3. Their both very good budget lenses which will serve you well in the long term. The only reason I don't use my 45-200 much any more is I have the 14-150mm which is a great walk around lens, and the Panny 35-100mm f/2.8 which is the portrait zoom if you want to get serious.

Having said that when the rugby season starts again and I'm out on the sidelines watching my son I'm sure it will reappear on my OM-D later this year.

Good luck,