PDA

View Full Version : What will be the substance of the announcement

birdboy
14th August 2013, 06:36 PM
For Ian
Whilst I understand the need for Olympus to keep a competitive edge by not leaking out forthcoming announcements can you at least give us an indication that the substance will be something tangible such as a new body or adapter rather a promise of something by the end of the year.

It concerns me that Ian’s questions pre Japan were designed to test what customers want to see. I thought we had the promise of a solution at the beginning of the year. What we really need now is something we can fiddle with not more promises.

I have started this thread as I have tried many times to register on the fourthirds forum only to be rejected because it says my email has spam. I have checked this and have no spam in my account. I see that the forum complains of lurkers I am one of those for the simple reason I am unable to register.

This is the reply I would like to have posted.
What would make me very unhappy is;
1 for Olympus to offer nothing for the pure 4/3 user.
2 That your question about likes and dislikes for a new body now is a delaying tactic. Surely if Olympus have a solution for 4/3 lenses it has already been developed otherwise we are in the wait for another 6 months!!!
3 A camera that offers no improvement over auto focusing (E3/E5) using the swd lenses.
4 Smaller size (E3/E5) at the expenses of dials

All my equipment is 4/3 E3 E5 both swd lenses and many others but no SHG. To offer a m4/3 camera that may be able to use 4/3 glass is no option for me. I brought an E5 this year in the hope that Olympus could not afford to drop 4/3 glass. When will people accept that it is the quality of the glass that that really makes use of the high pixel sensors. Olympus has to my thinking some of the best quality reasonably priced lenses on the market in their 4/3 range do they really want to confine these to the photographic museums? There is money in the amateur photographic market just look at the equipment Canikon users are spending. I would like to buy SGH glass but will not until I am sure that Olympus will support 4/3 bodies. If Olympus wants more of my money it has to be an next gen E5.

John

Ian
14th August 2013, 07:26 PM
I can assure you that there is no 'delaying tactic'. You will eventually see why.

I'm sorry about you problem in registering on FTU - I would be interested to know what went wrong in detail (best done by email to forum-admin@fourthirds-user.com) so I can fix the problem so it won't affect others.

In the mean time I will create an account for you based on your e-group account details if that's OK?

Ian

Ian
14th August 2013, 07:38 PM
My biggest worry with your list of points is the purity of Four Thirds you feel you need. For a long time now (well over a year) I have publicly declared that there is no sense in doing a Four Thirds 'only' camera unless there is a simple make-over of the E-5.

But let's look at the E-5, many say it's too big and heavy, the AF isn't good enough, it's loud and unrefined compared to the E-M5 and E-P5 and it only shoots at 5fps. The viewfinder is a major feat considering the relatively small sensor and mirror, but in reality EVFs are the way to go; they aren't perfect yet but they offer much more than a conventional SLR finder.

Meanwhile, Micro Four Thirds is a success story and it offers a high degree of compatibility with Four Thirds lenses.

So for me the challenge that Olympus had to set itself was to build a camera that satisfied both users of Micro Four Thirds lenses and Four Thirds lenses. This is my favourite solution and it seems to be the one that the FTU poll favours as well.

I don't think anyone expects Olympus to satisfy absolutely everyone. That would be miracle. In the end whether or not each of us decides we like the new camera it will be a very personal point of view.

Ian

birdboy
14th August 2013, 08:17 PM
I can assure you that there is no 'delaying tactic'. You will eventually see why.

Ian

That sounds like very good news at least it will be something tangible then.

I'm sorry about you problem in registering on FTU - I would be interested to know what went wrong in detail (best done by email to forum-admin@fourthirds-user.com) so I can fix the problem so it won't affect others.

In the mean time I will create an account for you based on your e-group account details if that's OK?

Ian

I have sent an email and have yes it is ok to set up an account based upon my e-group many thanks for that.

John

birdboy
14th August 2013, 08:59 PM
My biggest worry with your list of points is the purity of Four Thirds you feel you need. For a long time now (well over a year) I have publicly declared that there is no sense in doing a Four Thirds 'only' camera unless there is a simple make-over of the E-5.

Ian

What is wrong with a upgraded E5? I brought into FT back in 2008 is it really at the end of its life. If it is how long will mFT last? The E5 is an noticeable improvement with AF over the E3 allegedly the fastest AF on the market at the time of its release.

I love my 12-60swd and 50-200swd FT lenses. I like to be able to use the focus ring as if it were a screw without electronics driving it. I love to use the optical viewfinder and focus without the need to use battery power.

But let's look at the E-5, many say it's too big and heavy, the AF isn't good enough, it's loud and unrefined compared to the E-M5 and E-P5 and it only shoots at 5fps. The viewfinder is a major feat considering the relatively small sensor and mirror, but in reality EVFs are the way to go; they aren't perfect yet but they offer much more than a conventional SLR finder.

Meanwhile, Micro Four Thirds is a success story and it offers a high degree of compatibility with Four Thirds lenses.

Ian

Personally I do not think the E5 is too big or too heavy with the 50-200swd under 2kgs. It needs to be compare to the completion of a efl 400mm f3.5 combo.

If Oly think weight is really an issue it sounds like the death nell for the SHG lenses >3kgs. I would suggest that weight is more of an issue than size.

I use my E5 with the swd lenses and the AF for me is good for bif and motor sports. I have read with interest the comments on this forum about bif AF on the MFT body's and it is said it does not work. That's what forum members are saying not me as I have no experience of mFT. I grant you that the pictures of other subjects are really good as is the high ISO capability.

That having been said I am not against a mFT body that could use and out perform the E5 on AF with swd lenses and the SHG glass. That seems like a big ask when you consider that the FT lenses were designed using PD focusing principles. What I am not prepare to do is stick my FT lenses in the cupboard and buy a whole lot of mFT lenses. I would rather go to Canikon and a brand that can be trusted to support the current range of lenses.

Olympus needs to understand that it cannot expect brand loyalty when it keeps dropping systems and leaving its customers with unsupported equipment.

They must get it right this time?
John

catkins
14th August 2013, 09:04 PM

So for me the challenge that Olympus had to set itself was to build a camera that satisfied both users of Micro Four Thirds lenses and Four Thirds lenses. This is my favourite solution and it seems to be the one that the FTU poll favours as well.

I don't think anyone expects Olympus to satisfy absolutely everyone. That would be miracle. In the end whether or not each of us decides we like the new camera it will be a very personal point of view.

Ian

Having just written on another thread that this new camera will be a critical one for me and where my photography goes next, there are aspects of your reply above that slightly worry me with regard to the possible specifications of the new camera -

electronic viewfinder now sounds likely - eeks;
smaller size - ooh limited space possibly restricting LCD size/buttons/dials;
improved AF - hurrah;
mft/ft lens compatibility - well I can see that this will suit Olympus due to past mft sales which are now declining and ft lens owners who are now looking elsewhere, but will it offer a reliable sturdy, well sealed solution? Perhaps only time will tell, and it does have some interesting potentials;
"not expected to satisfy absolutely everyone" - well it looks like we do perhaps have to be prepared to see a modified mft solution that is trying to be a 'jack of all trades', but I worry that while mft sales decline, DSLR sales hold fast in some quarters decline in others, mobilephones take over the marketing departments, etc., etc., Olympus is losing clarity in the enthusiast market while trying to live in the consumer market.

It looks like its going to be an interesting launch - I hope that it's a pleasant and rewarding surprise for me!!

Regards
Chris

Ian
14th August 2013, 09:11 PM
Micro Four Thirds sales are not in decline - there are month by month variations mainly due to the impact of new models. The long term projection is for Mirrorless (including Micro Four Thirds) to grow steadily and DSLR to remains static and eventually start to decline (it already has in Japan).

Ian

cinders
14th August 2013, 10:22 PM
My ideal solution would be an Exxx size body, capable of handling the larger 4/3 lenses but with the improved everything that the OMD has. It seems that the large size bodies are on the way out unfortunately for those with large hands, but the PEN size is too small to cope with the better glass. I too have no wish to have to change my lenses.
I wait the announcement with baited breath.

pdk42
14th August 2013, 10:52 PM
I have come to the Oly party only very recently, having swapped a Canon FF kit for an E-M5 one. Like many others who have made similar journeys, I would never have done it if FT was the destination. The Oly FT bodies are not competitive compared to Canon or Nikon DSLRs (crop or FF) and although the Oly FT lenses are fantastic, what's the point if the bodies don't deliver? Today in 2013, the real action in DSLRs is FF, so FT is even less relevant than it ever was. Panasonic got out 5 years ago and Oly never got much market penetration.

In contrast, m43 has seemingly given Oly some life. The E-M5 has had great reception by reviewers and buyers alike and has dislodged a fair number of people from big and heavy Canon/Nikon systems. With competition from the other mirrorless formats (Nex, Fuji, Samsung), I would think it makes sense for Oly to go hell for leather to make u43 a stonking success. Given their financial situation and the collapse of the P&S market, why are they investing any effort at all in FT?

I realise that this will not be what FT users want to hear, but Oly isn't a charity and if it wants to avoid total collapse of its camera business it needs to sell lots of cameras - and that means u43. There are plenty of industry analysts arguing that u43 won't make it in the long run and I fear that if Oly's upgrade/replacement fior the e-M5 is compromised due to FT compatibility requirements, it'll only encourage these doom-mongers.

Anyhow, that's my view - as a recent convert to Oly and u43 it's probably an entirely predictable one, but I think there are many more like me and we should be one of Oly's key target markets.

catkins
14th August 2013, 11:28 PM
Micro Four Thirds sales are not in decline - there are month by month variations mainly due to the impact of new models. The long term projection is for Mirrorless (including Micro Four Thirds) to grow steadily and DSLR to remains static and eventually start to decline (it already has in Japan).

Ian

In many ways its a case of the mix between the use of the terms 'mirrorless', 'micro four thirds', etc., etc. that makes the analysis difficult but DSLRs are still surviving for a reason that needs to be understood - some of it is due to the pig-headed nature of old timers/luddites (me), some is because of the reliance on kit already owned, some of it is due to seeing what 'professionals' use, some of it is due to the perceived usability/controls layout/LCD screen space, etc., etc., and some of it is the reassurance of the viewfinder that is clear and not as draining on batteries etc.
However, there is no doubt that the mirrorless camera is a consumer product that has changed the marketplace - but I worry that it is fickle to the marketing that perhaps understandably leads to a reliance by the companies on regular changes, because this is how their income will be generated.
Olympus has to keep to the micro four thirds market that it has helped to massively create, but the question with this new Olympus release is will it answer the massive market (for all brands) that is still DSLR based and of which many four thirds lens owners are waiting for upgrading their DSLR generation cameras?
My concern is less about whether Olympus are doing the best thing for their company, instead it is driven by my own selfishness to want an answer to my own photographic needs! And ideally I'm hoping for an Olympus answer.
The following webpage has graphs showing some global sales figures http://www.43rumors.com/camera-slaes-history-from-2011-till-today-mirrorless-hype-is-over-dslr-rules/comment-page-1/

Regards
Chris

Zuiko
15th August 2013, 12:12 AM
I have come to the Oly party only very recently, having swapped a Canon FF kit for an E-M5 one. Like many others who have made similar journeys, I would never have done it if FT was the destination. The Oly FT bodies are not competitive compared to Canon or Nikon DSLRs (crop or FF) and although the Oly FT lenses are fantastic, what's the point if the bodies don't deliver? Today in 2013, the real action in DSLRs is FF, so FT is even less relevant than it ever was. Panasonic got out 5 years ago and Oly never got much market penetration.

In contrast, m43 has seemingly given Oly some life. The E-M5 has had great reception by reviewers and buyers alike and has dislodged a fair number of people from big and heavy Canon/Nikon systems. With competition from the other mirrorless formats (Nex, Fuji, Samsung), I would think it makes sense for Oly to go hell for leather to make u43 a stonking success. Given their financial situation and the collapse of the P&S market, why are they investing any effort at all in FT?

I realise that this will not be what FT users want to hear, but Oly isn't a charity and if it wants to avoid total collapse of its camera business it needs to sell lots of cameras - and that means u43. There are plenty of industry analysts arguing that u43 won't make it in the long run and I fear that if Oly's upgrade/replacement fior the e-M5 is compromised due to FT compatibility requirements, it'll only encourage these doom-mongers.

Anyhow, that's my view - as a recent convert to Oly and u43 it's probably an entirely predictable one, but I think there are many more like me and we should be one of Oly's key target markets.

Thanks for that, Paul, it puts the issue nicely in perspective. You are absolutely right that the new camera must not be compromised by FT requirements and I don't expect it will be. Enhanced, yes, by the ability to use FT lenses with full focus functions (including CAF tracking) equal to or better than the E-5. However, current MFT users who have no wish to use FT lenses will not notice the difference - except, perhaps, the contrast based AF may also be improved. Also the body may be a little bigger, perhaps similar to the Panasonic GH3, but for many users that will be no bad thing. And remember, technology from the "solution" camera will no doubt trickle down to new Pen and smaller E-M models.

The compromise will, I anticipate, fall upon traditional FT users. They will have a camera with an EVF (no optical finder) and smaller than the E-5 (but not necessarily as small as the E-M5). To compensate they can expect a vastly improved sensor and full fuctionality with their existing FT lenses at least as good as they currently enjoy with the E-5. With an adapter, probably - I can't forsee any other way, but may be proven wrong. In addition, they will also of course have the ability to use MFT lenses.

The reason why there is unlikely to be a new FT only body (i.e. has a mirror and won't support MFT lenses) is that although it would satisfy some existing users it would not sell in anything like the numbers required to make it a commercial success. It would also delay ongoing R&D (limited resources) on the MFT system which would further damage the company's financial recovery.

Even if Olympus did decide to make such a camera, what form would it take? An E-5xx or E-6xx model would disappoint E-5 users and an E-5 replacement would disappoint, or be unaffordable for, many current users of the three digit DSLR bodies.

If my assumptions, expectations and guesses prove to be true, the group whose concerns will not be addressed will be users of the E-4xx, E-5xx and E-6xx ranges, mainly because many will be unable to afford the new camera. It is those photographers that I really feel for.

All this conjecture is just my take on the situation. :)

Phill D
15th August 2013, 06:05 AM
"If my assumptions, expectations and guesses prove to be true, the group whose concerns will not be addressed will be users of the E-4xx, E-5xx and E-6xx ranges, mainly because many will be unable to afford the new camera. It is those photographers that I really feel for."

That's an interesting point John as one of those concerned that gives me two options either to wait for price drops when a further generation model is released or to sell up and go for a different system in the short term. The release price will probably be the determining factor for me, if it's too high then I'm afraid my patience won't hold out and I'd probably jump for something like a Pentax K5 (current body available for £500). So effectively the more over £500 the new camera is will be balanced against how much I'd rather stay with Oly lenses and how the EVF feels against a large OVF. If the new camera body only is in the £1000 or over range like the EM5 was at release then I'm going to have a very difficult decision.

Rocknroll59
15th August 2013, 06:29 AM
I've been reading the various opinions on here regarding a probable release by Olympus regarding a 'new' camera. I originally had an Olympus camera many years ago, and have stood by the brand when I wanted to start again 4 years ago. FT seemed to me to be the obvious step forward. I looked at both Canon and Nikon, and yes they were a very attractive option, quantity of lenses available, and number of bodies, but the size and 'feel' of Olympus just felt right.
I have no doubt the EVF will be the way that many will eventually go, improvements in mobile phone screens prove the point, it may be that those who prefer the current viewfinder will have to adapt, me included, and I am not adverse to that, especially if improvements in many of the points noted on here prove correct. It may also be useful in that any new lenses I buy could be m4/3 as well, which will open up other options for me. You do need to understand that Olympus have a business to run and a profit to make, so lets give them the benefit of the doubt, and wait and see.
I will be seeing what's on offer as I would like to upgrade my current 600, so can't wait really to see what will be in the bag..

sponner
15th August 2013, 06:47 AM
I'm thinking Oly will nail this one. It may be blind optimism but to me the solution is a hybrid of E5 and OMD.

As long as the viewfinder is very useable useable and the HG (and presumably SHG) lenses perform as intended on a body with plenty of control that delivers improved IQ I will be happy.

I agree that the current buzz is around FF camera's, I have just bought one and love it, but it complements rather than overshadows my E5. The strength of the 4/3 system should be smaller size and weight for great image quality, not forgetting that the 2x crop factor is a real advantage for extracting reach from relatively small, light and inexpensive lenses ( I am thinking 50-200 here).

It does sound increasingly certain that there will be something completely new announced soon. Olympus are undoubtedly aware that many people are waiting to see what happens before jumping to canikon. The people who want a more traditional body are not hankering after it for old times sake, they want the features such as fast AF, great viewfinder, good ergonomics that make taking great pictures easier and enjoyable, they just want better performance than ageing the sensor in the E5. I am sure this can be achieved while incorporating the bes tof modern features such as EVF etc. If they get it wrong they will not survive as a camera maker, i reckon, and I think they will know this.

Grumpy Hec
15th August 2013, 07:00 AM
I have no problem with EVF and mirrorless. In fact I very much look forward to it. It is the way to go in my view. Flapping mirrors are no longer necessary and we should move on.

The commercial drivers to bias towards M43 are obvious. I have no doubt as to the likely technical capabilities of any new camera and that the market is now firmly established.

However.

For me the big issue is size. I like a bigger camera for its handling. I went from an E520 to an E3 and found the handling a revelation. On that basis my worry is that the new "E7" may be too small. I have tried the OMD and simply did not like the size and found it awkward. Super camera in most respects of that there is no doubt but sadly it did not work for me.

Handling is as much a part of a good camera as high ISO, fast focus etc. etc. A camera is a tool like any other and should work for you. If it doesn't feel good then you are not going to get the best out of it or enjoy using it.

I have put money aside for the new camera but if the size/handling is wrong, no matter what the other capabilities are, then I may well say goodbye to Olympus and use that money to change systems. Very much not want I want to do as I have gradually built up a nice selection of glass and do not want to start all over again. Indeed I have just purchased a 12-60 SWD from a forum member and love it. I hope that does not turn out to have been a foolish expenditure.

I do find the general thrust these days in many area of consumer technology that small is best to be misplaced. For many small is actually worse. How many of us struggle texting on the small screen keyboard of a smartphone! Great for my 19 year old daughter but pretty poor for someone who is a few weeks off his 60th and over 6 feet tall with proportionally sized hands which aren't as nimble as they once were.

So here's hoping my anxiety is misplaced and the new body, or bodies, have good handling. If so this is almost certainly one assured purchaser. If not then all bets are off as I may well be.

Hec

OlyPaul
15th August 2013, 07:26 AM
"If my assumptions, expectations and guesses prove to be true, the group whose concerns will not be addressed will be users of the E-4xx, E-5xx and E-6xx ranges, mainly because many will be unable to afford the new camera. It is those photographers that I really feel for."

That's an interesting point John as one of those concerned that gives me two options either to wait for price drops when a further generation model is released or to sell up and go for a different system in the short term. The release price will probably be the determining factor for me, if it's too high then I'm afraid my patience won't hold out and I'd probably jump for something like a Pentax K5 (current body available for £500). So effectively the more over £500 the new camera is will be balanced against how much I'd rather stay with Oly lenses and how the EVF feels against a large OVF. If the new camera body only is in the £1000 or over range like the EM5 was at release then I'm going to have a very difficult decision.

Phil as someone who went that route my advise is don't ,you will probably be disappointed once the shine off a new toy wears off.

The K-30 I used has a slightly better AF than than the K-5 and it is only slightly better at CAF than my E-30 was and thats debatable, and for static subjects it tended to miss critical focus a lot more times than my E-PL5 ever does. Anti shake is about on a par with the Oly 2 axis system as is image IQ which is not surprising as they share the same sensor. Auto metering and exposure are well below par compared to Olympus.

I really was not going to say anything about comparing the E-M5 to other systems even when Ian hinted at it, but as a friend after seeing your post I felt I should.

So here goes I changed to the E-M5 not because of all the hype but because I was leaving the K-30 kit at home most of the time due to weight and the fact that image wise my E-PL5 was producing the goods just as well at a third of the weight.

So when the E-M5 arrived I was not expecting much of a revelation but did I get a surprise, I love the handling it is reminiscent of a slightly scaled down Minolta X11 which was my favourite camera of all time.

AF is fast and accurate and the EVF is a delight to use, its great to be able to turn the front dial for exposure compensation and see the exposure change in the viewfinder, what you see is what you get and I have not made a under or overexposed shot since I have had it.

As I have said before my hands are not the steadiest now but with the 5 axis stabilization in the E-M5 my keeper rate has doubled and at slower shutter speeds than I would dared have tried before.

CAF is not that hot but as Iansky pointed out in another thread it is easily got around and because the SAF is blisteringly fast thing like planes and my dogs running do not present that much of a problem using that technique.

So my advise try a E-M5 and if you like it wait till the new one comes out which will be way to expensive but the price of the E-M5 will probably drop from it's present £784 to just under £600. Why do I say that, well the free £200 grip offer ends about the time the new OMD will be announced/released.:)

Chevvyf1
15th August 2013, 07:42 AM
... I would never have done it if FT was the destination. The Oly FT bodies are not competitive compared to Canon or Nikon DSLRs (crop or FF) and although the Oly FT lenses are fantastic, what's the point if the bodies don't deliver? Today in 2013, the real action in DSLRs is FF, so FT is even less relevant than it ever was. Panasonic got out 5 years ago and Oly never got much market penetration.

Paul, thanks for a TERRIFIC post :) ... I also believe that the older generation are not "quite into disposable camera kit" as younger generations ... I have given away two of my E-1s and still have 2 and an EP20 :) and my E-5 is likely to join them ... in happy retirement (I use my kit too much to be worth selling my E-5 with 60,000 shutter actuations now in 2 years )

4/3rds will die with the generation who bought Video 2000 or Betamax because it was technically superior ...

There will soon be a lot of cheap 4/3rds lenses as it is ridiculous to put heave SHG on a small lightweight body ...

Just look at the technological developments in lens power on iPhones ; iPads and their Genre' :cool:

as I have said before look also at the Technology Olympus have in imaging for the Medical markets and hi tech Computer developments ...

I wonder if, the OM-D actually has much "inside at all" a little like "Stereo systems" seemingly large (as the buyer sees value for money as SIZE & POWER RELATED ) ...

reminds me of the Industry "Empty Box Routine" of the early 1980's in software upgrades for duff and bug riddled software, Jazz was one application ... of hundreds ...

birdboy
15th August 2013, 08:18 AM
It seems that size is an issue. My E5 is bigger than the OM1 I have and the OM1 is a full frame film camera. Just a thought perhaps Oly are getting back into FF bodies and that is what we will see;) Maybe they have several solutions and want to know which to release first:D

I would think that the OMD will look silly stuck on the end of a 300mm f2,8 lens. A lens that heavy needs to feel and balance with the body.

EVF may be the future but not yet. EVF has its place. For wildlife BIF and sport action shots what you see in the optical viewfinder is instance. Any delay created by the electronics in EVF could end up loosing the shot you want.

StephenL
15th August 2013, 08:31 AM
For those who are basing their judgements of EVFs on the E-M5 and VF2, I say just try the VF4. It is a generation ahead, and I see no reason why this technology cannot get better. One thing's for sure, the next Olympus will at least have the VF4-type finder, if not better.

Olympus is not a market leader in terms of quantity; if it were, I for one would not buy one. I like a little exclusivity with my quality!

birdboy
15th August 2013, 08:53 AM
For those who are basing their judgements of EVFs on the E-M5 and VF2, I say just try the VF4. It is a generation ahead, and I see no reason why this technology cannot get better. One thing's for sure, the next Olympus will at least have the VF4-type finder, if not better.

Olympus is not a market leader in terms of quantity; if it were, I for one would not buy one. I like a little exclusivity with my quality!

Thanks for that Stephen the spec looks impressive a lag of .032 seconds but at an additional £250 wow and now no flash hotshoe!

A small LCD screen cannot IMHO cannot EVF has its place but how many wildlife / sports professionals are using mirrorless bodies?

StephenL
15th August 2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks for that Stephen the spec looks impressive a lag of .032 seconds but at an additional £250 wow and now no flash hotshoe!

A small LCD screen cannot IMHO cannot EVF has its place but how many wildlife / sports professionals are using mirrorless bodies?

Speaking selfishly, I have no need for a flash hotshoe as I don’t use flash, and I don't give a jot what "professionals" use. That's their choice, not mine. :)

pdk42
15th August 2013, 10:49 AM
EVFs - When I switched to the E-M5, I was really worried about losing an OVF. I'd grown used to SLRs for over 30 years starting with a Practica (remember them?). I knew that i couldn't cope with just a back LCD, so the E-M5 was an obvious choice with its built-in EVF. Less than a few days in though and I was a total convert. I love the ability to see exposure compensation, histogram/blinkies, magnified view, anything at all with a 10-stop filter on (!) etc. I also like the ability to review shots without dropping the camera to view the rear screen ( 'chimping' I'm told it's called).

There is a small delay for sure which can make action shots tricky, but I don't do much of that, so it's not a big deal for me. However, if the VF4 (and presumably the same tech in the new camera) have fixed that then I guess there's not really much to complain about.

Otto
15th August 2013, 11:05 AM
I'm with Paul on this one. I love my OM-D's EVF for the same reasons he gives. The OVF on my E620 is just too small and I find it almost impossible to focus accurately manually. It's like squinting through a keyhole compared to an OM-1! I seldom do action shots too so the delay is of little consequence.

Ian
15th August 2013, 11:42 AM
Paul, thanks for a TERRIFIC post :) ... I also believe that the older generation are not "quite into disposable camera kit" as younger generations ... I have given away two of my E-1s and still have 2 and an EP20 :) and my E-5 is likely to join them ... in happy retirement (I use my kit too much to be worth selling my E-5 with 60,000 shutter actuations now in 2 years )

4/3rds will die with the generation who bought Video 2000 or Betamax because it was technically superior ...

There will soon be a lot of cheap 4/3rds lenses as it is ridiculous to put heave SHG on a small lightweight body ...

Just look at the technological developments in lens power on iPhones ; iPads and their Genre' :cool:

as I have said before look also at the Technology Olympus have in imaging for the Medical markets and hi tech Computer developments ...

I wonder if, the OM-D actually has much "inside at all" a little like "Stereo systems" seemingly large (as the buyer sees value for money as SIZE & POWER RELATED ) ...

reminds me of the Industry "Empty Box Routine" of the early 1980's in software upgrades for duff and bug riddled software, Jazz was one application ... of hundreds ...

I'm suggesting that Four Thirds lenses could rise in value if the new camera delivers.

The current range of Olympus Four Thirds lenses are all still officially in production, by the way. I checked!

Ian

Ian
15th August 2013, 11:45 AM

Yes I do think that Olympus needs a more affordable OM-D style camera to compete with the Lumix G-5/6 models. I think it will come eventually. But you could argue there was no point if these will be mainly aimed at Four Thirds DSLR users because the technology had not been there to make the Four Thirds lens experience good enough.

Ian

andym
15th August 2013, 11:57 AM
Agreed with all the comments about the EVF. I own a E5 and E1, the former which I still use a lot.As said the ability to be able to overlay things in the viewfinder like the live histogram and being able to magnify the view is so useful.I use my 4/3 lenses with the OMD all the time always with manual focus and you'll be surprised how soon you get proficient with it, even for moving subjects.

I'll be looking at the new camera but will not be in a position to purchase until next year and only if it meets my needs.

Rocknroll59
15th August 2013, 03:50 PM
From my point of view, I had looked at an E-M5, as there are a few used around at decent prices, but I am going to wait to see if the 'new' camera will be better paired with FT lenses....by all accounts it could well be..

Peter

Kiwi Paul
15th August 2013, 06:04 PM
For those who like the ergonomics of the E3 and E5 cameras try a Pany GH3, you may find a similarity and if the new Oly camera is around those proportions (GH3 size) I think it would fit the bill nicely.

Paul

Phill D
15th August 2013, 07:46 PM
Paul that's a brilliant post thanks just the thoughts and experience I was looking for. Really good to get your feedback on the Pentax path. I must admit I did have your conclusion of an EM5 in mind too as I was really blown away with the EM5's I saw at the Circus. My E510 is definitely showing signs of age now the card door needs sellotape to hold it shut so there has got to be something new in the wind soon.

Internaut
15th August 2013, 11:10 PM
I've already commented in 'the other place' that if the GH3 offered super fast AF on Four Thirds lenses, then we would already be there.

Will Olympus deliver a new and compelling body that will make E-1/3/5 owners happy, while also attracting new users to the system? If they can make something around the size of the 620, as strong as the E-5 and fully compatible with older lenses, I think they have a good chance of success.

sponner
15th August 2013, 11:37 PM
attracting new users to the system? If they can make something around the size of the 620, as strong as the E-5 and fully compatible with older lenses, I think they have a good chance of success.

That's what i was trying to say! I am certain that the executives at Oly must know this.

Grumpy Hec
16th August 2013, 05:53 AM
That's what i was trying to say! I am certain that the executives at Oly must know this.

I'd like to think so. We will see.

Hec

Chevvyf1
16th August 2013, 07:35 AM
I've already commented in 'the other place' that if the GH3 offered super fast AF on Four Thirds lenses, then we would already be there.

Will Olympus deliver a new and compelling body that will make E-1/3/5 owners happy, while also attracting new users to the system? If they can make something around the size of the 620, as strong as the E-5 and fully compatible with older lenses, I think they have a good chance of success.

*chr *chr *chr

OM USer
16th August 2013, 11:11 AM
If they can make something around the size of the 620, as strong as the E-5 and fully compatible with older lenses, I think they have a good chance of success.

Strangely this is exactly what I was looking for when I purchased my E-M5 last year. The E-M5 ticked so many boxes - size, weight, OLED touch screen, SD card, good sensor with high usable ISO, 5 axis IBIS - that the one box it didn't tick (fast focus with the FT 12-60) was not enough of a deterrent. Having now got the E-M5 the new camera would have to be very special indeed to make me loose money by switching.

Wally
16th August 2013, 02:23 PM
If I were in the market for a new camera - which I'm not - I would still stop short of the idea of what 'I would like.' In this way if the new offering(s) falls far short of expectations, I'm not going to be disappointed.

There has been some excellent suggestion for wish lists and so, fingers crossed the odd bucket list will get filled. Hopefully, none of the buckets will have a hole in the bottom.

StephenL
16th August 2013, 02:40 PM
Fortunately, for once I'm not in the market for a new camera, as my current E-M5 and E-PL5 both comfortably exceed my capabilities and wishes. However, the E-P5 when fitted with the VF4 is slighly tempting! So if a new camera were even better than that, it would be the canine coconuts.

Indeed, the new Panasonic GX7, if fitted with some Olympus tweaks, would be the target to beat, and I suspect be close to what's about to be announced.

Graham_of_Rainham
16th August 2013, 03:34 PM
I know that we don't do "Rumors" here, but if those that are out there, have any substance, there should be some happy bunnies (until they see the price) :eek:

Grumpy Hec
16th August 2013, 03:48 PM
(until they see the price) :eek:

yeh - I anticipate £1000+. Ouch. Will be my only camera purchase for some time if I go for it.

Hec

OM USer
16th August 2013, 04:21 PM
+1. I think it will make the E-M5 look cheap.

Zuiko
16th August 2013, 05:15 PM
I'm anticipating nearer £1500, at least at launch. How quickly the price drops will depend upon initial demand and how long that demand is maintained.

Phill D
16th August 2013, 05:35 PM
Blimey John I hope you are wrong :(

Internaut
16th August 2013, 05:37 PM
I'm anticipating nearer £1500, at least at launch. How quickly the price drops will depend upon initial demand and how long that demand is maintained.

Well, looking at the OMD, E-PL5 and E-PM2, it looks like Olympus cameras have retained their cameras better, since they stopped peddling prehistoric sensor tech :). The E-P5 will come down in price a bit though - they were taking the Mickey with that one.

Incidentally, I learned a new word today. I think it's Yiddish, and it might explain some of Olympus's pricing decisions. Can anyone help me with the pronunciation of chutzpah?

Zuiko
16th August 2013, 06:14 PM
Well, looking at the OMD, E-PL5 and E-PM2, it looks like Olympus cameras have retained their cameras better, since they stopped peddling prehistoric sensor tech :). The E-P5 will come down in price a bit though - they were taking the Mickey with that one.

Incidentally, I learned a new word today. I think it's Yiddish, and it might explain some of Olympus's pricing decisions. Can anyone help me with the pronunciation of chutzpah?

Chutzpah is a new word for me, too. I've just looked up it's meaning and it applies brilliantly to Olympus pricing decisions! There's a place for this word in the English language! *chr

Andrew Riddell
16th August 2013, 06:45 PM
Can anyone help me with the pronunciation of chutzpah?

The 'c' is silent!

Andrew

Invicta
16th August 2013, 07:06 PM

Nice new word for me too.

For pronunication try:

http://howjsay.com/index.php?word=chutzpah

David M
16th August 2013, 10:46 PM
Yeah, the c is silent. I've heard it used in TV shows although I can't remember which ones.

George Dorn
18th August 2013, 06:39 AM
This (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/8390727.pdf) must be a red herring? Bit like the Ricoh GXR

Zuiko
18th August 2013, 11:48 AM
In some ways a modular camera would give the best of both worlds - small and light with MFT lenses but becoming physically bigger and heavier when the mirror assembly is attached for use with 4/3 lenses, essentially converting it into a DSLR. There is much to commend this approach, but it wouldn't be cheap to manufacture. Olympus may well have been investigating this avenue, but I suspect that with on-sensor PDAF having been developed more recently this is the option they have chosen.

DavyG
18th August 2013, 05:14 PM
It would appear this is no longer a rumour as Engadget had a video showing the new Olympus E-M1.

The video has now been removed from Engadget but can be seen the the following link for anyone who's interested.

I've started saving my money to buy one of these cameras!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/clrndvdpovk8yas/Olympus%20OM-D%20E-M1%20Camera%20Hands-On%20-%20Video%20-%20Engadg.mp4

Chevvyf1
18th August 2013, 05:39 PM
It would appear this is no longer a rumour as Engadget had a video showing the new Olympus E-M1.

The video has now been removed from Engadget but can be seen the the following link for anyone who's interested.

I've started saving my money to buy one of these cameras!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/clrndvdpovk8yas/Olympus%20OM-D%20E-M1%20Camera%20Hands-On%20-%20Video%20-%20Engadg.mp4

Davy, I want to HUG YOU :) :) :) any more it seems to end abruptly ... halfway through

DavyG
18th August 2013, 05:50 PM
Davy, I want to HUG YOU :) :) :) any more it seems to end abruptly ... halfway through

I can't take credit for the video, Mark Chan over on DPR was good enough to make it available at the link.

The video is circa 5 minutes long, if you're seeing less than this try downloading it.

The camera does look good and best of all, I can continue to use my 4/3 glass.

Chevvyf1
18th August 2013, 06:34 PM
I can't take credit for the video, Mark Chan over on DPR was good enough to make it available at the link.

The video is circa 5 minutes long, if you're seeing less than this try downloading it.

The camera does look good and best of all, I can continue to use my 4/3 glass.

Ahhh got to the end this time ... Terrific ! rumour is 61 track points for focus lock and tracking and the IS looks REAL GREAT :)

Graham_of_Rainham
18th August 2013, 07:06 PM
Olympus OM D E M1 - YouTube

joglos
18th August 2013, 07:22 PM
MMM well if this is right I better get emptying the piggybanks :)

Phill D
18th August 2013, 07:24 PM
Pretty impressive leak if it's not a spoof. Pretty good spoof if it's not real :D
Looks like I'm joining the savings club too.

birdboy
18th August 2013, 07:34 PM
Well I am not so sure. I did pick up on the fast AF:

"The focusing on this camera is superb I think a lot of our four thirds customers will be very very happy... almost as fast on FT as it is on the mFT"

I will have to see what the customers verdict is.

Chevvyf1
18th August 2013, 08:09 PM

"The focusing on this camera is superb I think a lot of our four thirds customers will be very very happy... almost as fast on FT as it is on the mFT"

OK what about some SUPER FAST & SUPER LITE long lenses SHG ? which are faster than 4/3rds ?

FOR SALE E-5 and loads of lenses ... :cool:

ozzie
18th August 2013, 08:43 PM
Wher can I get on the first preorder list *chr

Chevvyf1
18th August 2013, 08:58 PM
Wher can I get on the first preorder list *chr

I phoned around the UK on Saturday and no one is taking orders ! So I shall try a few friends in the USA = better price too :)

IainMacD
18th August 2013, 09:28 PM
I phoned around the UK on Saturday and no one is taking orders ! So I shall try a few friends in the USA = better price too :)

Ffordes (http://www.ffordes.com/) are advertising that they will have the 'new PEN camera' at their Olympus event on September 18th

David Morison
18th August 2013, 10:00 PM
Impressive as it may appear, I'm keeping calm. It still may not be for me unless the AF is as good or better for small, fast subjects as my 7D. The 81 point focusing does hold out some genuine hope though, the Canon has only 19. However it can still lock focus on a single Swallow at 100 metres and hold while I pan - no Olympus ever did that!

David

Zuiko
18th August 2013, 10:51 PM
Impressive as it may appear, I'm keeping calm. It still may not be for me unless the AF is as good or better for small, fast subjects as my 7D. The 81 point focusing does hold out some genuine hope though, the Canon has only 19. However it can still lock focus on a single Swallow at 100 metres and hold while I pan - no Olympus ever did that!

David

I think you are wise to be cautious, David, we don't have enough information yet to make any real judgement, especially regarding focus.

Internaut
19th August 2013, 10:04 AM

David

Simple answer: Olympus (and Pentax too) has long been behind CaNikon on PDAF. They've both invested a lot of money in improving/refining this, for their monster cameras, and this has been trickling down to the mid range models.

If you're one of the minority of users who really do take full advantage of that kind of performance, I think the runes don't read too well for you. I'd speculate that PDAF AF performance will as good as, or slightly better than, the E-30/E-5. In other words, more than good enough for most. Sorry, I know that doesn't help :).

Graham_of_Rainham
19th August 2013, 12:51 PM
I really hope they don't forget to update the Olympus Viewer software to take advantage of the WiFi functionality.

It would be like having "Studio" back again but without the trailing lead. :cool:

George Dorn
19th August 2013, 01:04 PM
At least it wasn't 'tethered' to an iPad so my scummy android tablet ought to support the app. :)

Chevvyf1
21st August 2013, 02:05 PM
Ffordes (http://www.ffordes.com/) are advertising that they will have the 'new PEN camera' at their Olympus event on September 18th

Hi Iain, sorry but for me a PEN would be retrograde step :(

OlyPaul
21st August 2013, 02:43 PM

That's almost like saying you will get the same performance that you now get on MFT, so does that mean SAF is improved to MFT standards but the CAF is still the same as it is on MFT...unacceptable for BIF and other applications?

Rocknroll59
21st August 2013, 02:53 PM
The big question is of course whether Olympus has a camera that will just not appeal to current Oly users, but will want to attract other buyers from Canikon....that's the business ploy I believe, otherwise you are not gaining anything. You need new customers to survive in this very competitive market place....

Cheers

Peter

birdboy
21st August 2013, 03:20 PM
It does surprise me that folk can get excited about a new product with such little info and from a dubious source. We should wait and see. I am not in a rush but do want to upgrade. From the one promo we have seen for one model it does not look good for me. If Oly want to be competitive in this market there will have to be several cameras on offer. I have even started looking at the Nikon 1 V2 for BIF because I really do think Oly have dropped FT, and if they can do that after 5/6 years they could do the same with mFT. Iam sorry to say this but I will not buy into mFT for that reason.

Kiwi Paul
21st August 2013, 03:36 PM
I'm amazed at how people are speculating about various aspects of the new camera to the point of dismissing it already on some aspects. The fact is we have no idea how the pdaf will perform with 4/3 lenses so there's no point in making blind assumptions. Its going to be a completely new concept for oly using the sensor to focus pdaf lenses and for all we know it may turn out to be a great system and good for bif etc.

Paul

StephenL
21st August 2013, 03:36 PM
It does surprise me that folk can get excited about a new product with such little info and from a dubious source.
Exactly. Whilst it might be fun speculating, decisions should be made after the truth is known.

Chevvyf1
21st August 2013, 03:47 PM
That's almost like saying you will get the same performance that you now get on MFT, so does that mean SAF is improved to MFT standards but the CAF is still the same as it is on MFT...unacceptable for BIF and other applications?

Paul, this "barbed wire fence" of Nik on - Nik off is cutting into my pants ...

I wonder when it shall be available ...

Product manufacturers are STUPID DOING THIS - "Peter in & Peter out " they should have done the BIG WHAM BAM THANK YOU MAM HERE IT IS :)

its stuipid games ... infact I am getting so very frustrated I may go Canon now with a HUGE heavy lens because I have been practicing with Tripod like a Machine Gunner in a Spitfire ... :cool:

Chevvyf1
21st August 2013, 03:49 PM
MY BIG QUESTION is Will Olympus Cameras have substantial sales from their small range of higher priced camera bodies & lenses to go the "Distance" ?

It seems that Olympus are threatening to empty the bath if this goes belly up :( maybe selling it off ... soon so perhaps I would be better off elsewhere Canon Cameras have a massive "cushion" of security for their high end bodies and glass ...

StephenL
21st August 2013, 04:27 PM
Chevvy, I thought you said in an earlier post you'd already bought into Nikon?

Zuiko
21st August 2013, 05:37 PM
MY BIG QUESTION is Will Olympus Cameras have substantial sales from their small range of higher priced camera bodies & lenses to go the "Distance" ?

It seems that Olympus are threatening to empty the bath if this goes belly up :( maybe selling it off ... soon so perhaps I would be better off elsewhere Cannon have a massive "cushion" of security for their high end bodies and glass ...

Small range = E-PM2, E-PL5, E-P5, E-M5, E-M1, with hints that there might soon also be a budget/entry level model in the OM-D range? :)

Chevvyf1
21st August 2013, 06:08 PM
Chevvy, I thought you said in an earlier post you'd already bought into Nikon?

Stephen, a friend who is very Nikon (D700 ; D3S and recent purchase D4 and lots of lenses :) also has his first Digital Camera D300 + 200-500 lens for birds in flight/wildlife of South Africa etc.,) HE has offered me this kit for trial this weekend at a birds in flight event over the 3 days, and to buy it IF its right for my purpose ... I realize its not weatherproofed :( BUT CANON are *chr

birdboy
21st August 2013, 06:10 PM
Paul, thi "barbed wire fence" of Nik on - Nik off is cutting into my pants ...

I wonder when it shall be available ...

Product manufacturers are STUPID DOING THIS - "Peter in & Peter out " they should have done the BIG WHAM BAM THANK YOU MAM HERE IT IS :)

its stuipid games ... infact I am getting so very frustrated I may go Cannon now with a HUGE heavy lens because I have been practicing with #Tripod like a Machine Gunner in a Spitfire ... :cool:

Chevvyf1
I know your needs are now and realistically whatever the Oly announcement it is unlikely to solve your problem within the next few months (availability etc.). I think you have two choices rent or buy Canikon. If you brought used it and did not like it after some 6 months use I would have thought that 2nd user market would take it off your hands and you would be left with £buy price- £sell price and some valuable experience. Sometimes I think it is better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all.

Good luck with your wherever you decide.
John

StephenL
21st August 2013, 06:14 PM
Stephen, a friend who is very Nikon (D700 ; D3S and recent purchase D4 and lots of lenses :) also has his first Digital Camera D300 + 200-500 lens for birds in flight/wildlife of South Africa etc.,) HE has offered me this kit for trial this weekend at a birds in flight event over the 3 days, and to buy it IF its right for my purpose ... I realize its not weatherproofed :( BUT CANON are *chr

Ah, I see! *yes

Bear in mind, although I'm sure you already know, that the sensors on even the newest Canon and Nikons seem to need cleaned regularly.

Chevvyf1
21st August 2013, 06:28 PM
Ah, I see! *yes

Bear in mind, although I'm sure you already know, that the sensors on even the newest Canon and Nikons seem to need cleaned regularly.

Ahh IT IS Moisture and Dust sealed ... I just read a review in a bird & photography Mag of 2010 (from same friend in a few piles of mags he was throwing out ..)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Nikon-D300-Digital-SLR_Digital-Camera_review_nikon-d300-digital-slr_Page-2

Apparently its a model only improved by the D300S (video) and its still selling well - after all these years, NEW and pre loved ! SIMPLY STUNNING FOR Bif :)

Chevvyf1
21st August 2013, 06:37 PM
Chevvyf1
I know your needs are now and realistically whatever the Oly announcement it is unlikely to solve your problem within the next few months (availability etc.). I think you have two choices rent or buy Canikon. If you brought used it and did not like it after some 6 months use I would have thought that 2nd user market would take it off your hands and you would be left with £buy price- £sell price and some valuable experience. Sometimes I think it is better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all.

Good luck with your wherever you decide.
John

John, you are quite right *chr and for me this coming weekend is nerve racking as I have been Oly for OM 1 and OM 19 and OM 77 (bought in Singapore) still have some of those OM lenses ... which are clean and work and are used here :) and then Oly E20P (still have and use) and then Oly E-1 (I still have 3 of them and gave my 4th to my middle son with a few lenses for he and his son)

It will be like riding a new model motorbike, tingling up and down my arms of anticipation and SCARY too :) I shall feel a twit not knowing where everything is - so I downloaded the Manual and am making notes ...

I shall let you know ...

StephenL
21st August 2013, 06:47 PM
Just don't change lenses. That's when the dust bunnies jump in.

benvendetta
21st August 2013, 07:03 PM
A professional photographer friend in my club has switched from a recently bought Nikon D600 plus nice glass to an OMD EM5 plus Pany 12-35 and 35-100 glass for his paid work. He couldn't stand the dust bunnies with the D600 (it is a known problem) and is loving the OMD. And he is a pro portrait photographer. Times they are a changing, as said by Mr Dylan.
I am trying to get him to sign up to this forum as he is very good.

David Morison
21st August 2013, 07:54 PM
My Canon 7D has it's lenses changed several times a day and in 9 months I've not experienced any dust nor has my birding friend who has had his for two years, it does have an ultrasonic dust reducing facility which may not be as good as Olympus but seems to be doing a good job.

In my opinion it is worth trying the Nikon but don't get rid of the E5 until you've used Nikon for some time. My Canon is superb for BIF but it cannot replace the Olympus kit for other uses, my desire is that Olympus can produce a camera that will enable me to sell the Canon.

David

Chevvyf1
21st August 2013, 08:06 PM
Just don't change lenses. That's when the dust bunnies jump in.

Stephen this N model does have Sensor cleaning as per Oly :) :) :)

and if I buy it, just for Birds in Flight I shall leave the big lens on (to keep the Bunnies out, 'cause you know how THEY BREED - and it would get awfully crowded in there, what with a mirror too *zzz ) :D

Chevvyf1
21st August 2013, 08:09 PM
My Canon 7D has it's lenses changed several times a day and in 9 months I've not experienced any dust nor has my birding friend who has had his for two years, it does have an ultrasonic dust reducing facility which may not be as good as Olympus but seems to be doing a good job.

In my opinion it is worth trying the Nikon but don't get rid of the E5 until you've used Nikon for some time. My Canon is superb for BIF but it cannot replace the Olympus kit for other uses, my desire is that Olympus can produce a camera that will enable me to sell the Canon.

David

David, sound advice ! I was thinking, when I have worn out my E-5 :) (another year or max two years) ... I would get an OM-D for all other than Birds in Flight ... and long distance away object's 'de art (Yachts!)

ozzie
21st August 2013, 09:17 PM
The Camera shown in the video would be just what I want.
I have been using the EP3 for some time and love the small form when I want to travel light which is most of the time nowadays.
The EM5 doesn't feel right to me and with slow AF for my old lenses i couldnt buy one .
However I have always thought a camera that could be small with small lenses yet large enough to be OK with my 4/3 lenses with good AF would be great, this new camera SEEMS to be right, so I am excited.
I have all my 4/3 lenses and it would be real interesting to see how they would go with a new sensor with ISO (usable 3200 or better) that just may make my Bigma very usable.
If this camera is released with a quality zoom f2.8 12-50(60) then I will be in like a flash .
Just my thoughts
Cheers
John

catkins
21st August 2013, 10:49 PM
Life is a gamble and for a gamble to succeed you need to take risks.
Life is precious and to preserve all that is precious you need to act with caution.
Life is what you make of it and to make the most of it you need to be alive.
Life is unique and to be unique you must be different.
Life is a contradiction and to make sense of it swap the word 'life' for 'Olympus'!

I reckon that just about sums up the dilemma for Olympus with the impending release and, despite all the rumours, videos and speculation, I'm looking forward to seeing what Olympus have to offer at this critical time.
They do need to be different but many people don't like change, they need to be innovative and they need to make money. The physically large DSLR still has a future, but perhaps will become a more specialist type product, while the smaller 'micro' cameras and improved HQ lens will appeal to the mass market.
I do hope that this new product will be their answer to the four thirds market especially, because any further wait will become a self-creating prophecy of four thirds death knell.
But I will wait patiently, with the expectation that the full story is yet to come, to listen carefully and only then make my mind up!

Regards
Chris

Zuiko
21st August 2013, 10:55 PM
Life is a gamble and for a gamble to succeed you need to take risks.
Life is precious and to preserve all that is precious you need to act with caution.
Life is what you make of it and to make the most of it you need to be alive.
Life is unique and to be unique you must be different.
Life is a contradiction and to make sense of it swap the word 'life' for 'Olympus'!

I reckon that just about sums up the dilemma for Olympus with the impending release and, despite all the rumours, videos and speculation, I'm looking forward to seeing what Olympus have to offer at this critical time.
They do need to be different but many people don't like change, they need to be innovative and they need to make money. The physically large DSLR still has a future, but perhaps will become a more specialist type product, while the smaller 'micro' cameras and improved HQ lens will appeal to the mass market.
I do hope that this new product will be their answer to the four thirds market especially, because any further wait will become a self-creating prophecy of four thirds death knell.
But I will wait patiently, with the expectation that the full story is yet to come, to listen carefully and only then make my mind up!

Regards
Chris

Wish I had written that, it sums it up beautifully. No more to be said, really. :)

petrovich
27th August 2013, 06:48 PM
All

Just noticed on the rumours site

http://www.43rumors.com/

that it mentions that a retailer will be offering a touch and use type day for the following Olympus ranges.

OM - PEN - E Series? and Stylus.

Am I misreading this as I thought rightly or wrongly the new camera was an OM-D therefore what are the E Series as they have already updated this area I thought. Is a new DSLR on the books?

Your thoughts as I am confused now

:o:o

Chevvyf1
27th August 2013, 07:22 PM
Earlier I recd an email from Fb Olympus page with more details of the new OM-d Pro and lens

IainMacD
27th August 2013, 07:23 PM
Ffordes (http://www.ffordes.com/home) have a Micro 4/3 day on September 18th where you can "see all Olympus Systems and the new Pen camera".
I will be going along for a nosey after work, but not taking my credit card!!!

Chevvyf1
27th August 2013, 07:55 PM
Ffordes (http://www.ffordes.com/home) have a Micro 4/3 day on September 18th where you can "see all Olympus Systems and the new Pen camera".
I will be going along for a nosey after work, but not taking my credit card!!!

Oooh Iain, I do that, leaving my cards at home :( ... but LUCKY Me :D Nick takes his :) *chr and anyway most places will hold for an "over the phone card purchase ... "

Graham_of_Rainham
28th August 2013, 05:56 PM
They are still keeping things under cover ;)

Official Anouncement (http://www.getolympus.com/revolutionary?utm_content=img&utm_campaign=ts_rev2013_08)

Graham_of_Rainham
29th August 2013, 01:30 PM
It would be mildly amusing if they slowly moved the cloth a little each day.

If they are going to tease, then at least do it in style... *shh

Nick Temple-Fry
29th August 2013, 02:43 PM

Ah, you want them to do a striptease.

Reminds me the old saying, when modesty still applied to nudity

"Some object to the fan dancer, others to the fan"

Nick

Graham_of_Rainham
29th August 2013, 02:56 PM
A Time Lapse reveal perhaps. :rolleyes:

So much better that all these daft "Un-boxing" videos on U-Tube. *zzz

Imagine how excited some will get by seeing freshly contoured strap lug ;)

Chevvyf1
29th August 2013, 06:02 PM

OH! NO! Graham not you giving them ideas :confused:

Phill D
29th August 2013, 06:16 PM
That would be a great idea. Bet they won't take it up.