PDA

View Full Version : Professional shooting with E-M5?

Jetset95
14th August 2013, 05:40 PM
Does anyone on the forum use their OM-D to shoot professionally? Please accept my apologies if that's a dumb question / offensive (because it should be obvious that you do!) but I'm very much hobby shooter who's gotten into this much more since I got my OM-D last year, and wondering what people would say (I know I shouldn't care!) if I started turning up to shoot friends wedding's with an OM-D and Panny 35-100mm attached?

Of course I don't care what people think which camera I use for friends and personal photos, but if I wanted to take this to the next level and try to become something of semi-pro shooting at the weekends would an OM-D put people off? It wouldn't put me off trying, but it just made me think apart from the Oly visionaries like Damian McGillicuddy how many honest photographers have dropped their CaNikon's for M4/3's?

Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks,

Weldingblues
14th August 2013, 08:12 PM
Not exactly from the forum, but have a look at this:-

LINK (http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/2013/07/02/mirrorless-on-the-job-episode-1-working-with-the-olympus-om-d-e-m5-as-my-primary-camera/)

Colin

Ian
14th August 2013, 08:14 PM
There are several pros on this forum who use the E-M5 (and other Oly models). Seonnaidh (Jon Pear) comes to mind first.

Ian

Jetset95
14th August 2013, 08:58 PM

LINK (http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/2013/07/02/mirrorless-on-the-job-episode-1-working-with-the-olympus-om-d-e-m5-as-my-primary-camera/)

Colin

Thanks for the link Colin - I think everyone should have a look at this it's amazing!@@!!

Jetset95
14th August 2013, 08:58 PM
There are several pros on this forum who use the E-M5 (and other Oly models). Seonnaidh (Jon Pear) comes to mind first.

Ian

Thanks Ian.

David M
14th August 2013, 09:36 PM
Way to much camera for me. I have work supplied Kodak branded POS and a Lumix DMC-L1.

It's the image that counts, not the equipment used to take it.

Jetset95
15th August 2013, 08:09 AM
Way to much camera for me. I have work supplied Kodak branded POS and a Lumix DMC-L1.

It's the image that counts, not the equipment used to take it.

Couldn't agree more David, I wish everyone else saw that as well. May I ask what you're shooting these days with the Kodak and L1?

David M
15th August 2013, 09:17 AM
The L1 is work supplied as a back to the Kodak POS.

My personal work is taken with an E-410 or E-3. The E-410 paid for itself and the kit lenses with the fourth shot I took with it.

Zuiko
15th August 2013, 11:16 AM
I think there is often too much worry about what the general public think. If your client happens to be a keen amateur themselves they'll know what an E-M5 is. If they have no personal interest in photography beyond a camera phone then they probably won't care and if the E-M5 is fully gripped they probably won't even notice the difference.

Jetset95
15th August 2013, 11:53 AM
Good points - thanks all for your contributions to this naive discussion post!

snaarman
15th August 2013, 12:50 PM
Put the full grip on the E-M5. You'll be surprised how pro it suddenly looks :)

Pete

Graham_of_Rainham
15th August 2013, 01:15 PM
Put the full grip on the E-M5. You'll be surprised how pro it suddenly looks :)

Pete

There's an E-PL5 hiding in here: :cool:

http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/500/A083158.jpg (http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/26031)

Not only do I not care what anyone thinks of the kit I use, I don't give a hoot about the make of pots-n-pans the chef uses to cook in my favorite restaurants. *chr

Zuiko
15th August 2013, 01:29 PM
I don't give a hoot about the make of pots-n-pans the chef uses to cook in my favorite restaurants. *chr

I wouldn't eat anything that wasn't cooked in Le Creuset pans. :D

Graham_of_Rainham
15th August 2013, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't eat anything that wasn't cooked in Le Creuset pans. :D Wok is wong wiv U :D

WPJ
15th August 2013, 05:02 PM
Hi,

Interesting article here: http://tinyurl.com/kcdjhbc on the OMD for weddings.

Paul

Jetset95
15th August 2013, 07:26 PM
Indeed thanks Paul. I'm not sure I'm going to stump up for another two bodies but I hope that the Panny 25mm on my G3 and the 35-100mm f/2.8 on the OM-D will do the trick!

Sisi
16th August 2013, 01:17 PM

Colin

Really useful link! Thanks for sharing!

timd1230
15th September 2013, 07:42 PM
I have been using one as a secondary camera at weddings this year - If the OMD e-m1 is right I may move fully 4/3 next year.

The guy in the link below is shooting on 3 bodies
http://shutterleaf.co.uk/blog/olympus-omd-em5-for-wedding-photography-experience-with-3-micro-four-third-camera-bodies-a-review

tomphotofx
15th September 2013, 08:05 PM
The quality and style of your images tell more about you than equipment ever can, carry a portfolio of your work around with you on your Smart phone, don't be shy about it show people and tell them that if they hire you this will be the high standard they can expect. You'll be surprised how much respect that gets from people.

Tom

Sisi
15th September 2013, 08:05 PM
I agree with all the above comments as to whether it matters what your kit is. But maybe more to the point about whether professionals use OMD's or not is, Is it up to professional image quality or not and can it withstand the rigours of day in and day out shooting?
As a professional myself I'm certainly hoping that the EM1 can do all these things! Sisi

brian1208
15th September 2013, 08:11 PM
I've shot >50K shots in 14 months with my EM-5, in all sort of conditions from comfy studio to sand and salt blasted beaches and the system hasn't missed a beat

The bulk of my work is for print sales via local gallery and craft fairs and the purchaser haven't been able to spot which prints come from my old 5Dm2 + L lenses and which come from the EM-5 + a variety of lenses (oly + one panny)

Mind you, I can and so can some of my "Toggy" mates, but only when we effectively "Pixel Peep in Print" :) (that's up to 30"x20" and 6ft + panos (from 21 frames+ )

I've got the EM-1 on order, which will demote the EM-5 to 2nd camera / back-up and I hope (expect) the EM-1 will be even more solid as a shooting work-horse

Sisi
15th September 2013, 08:18 PM
I've shot >50K shots in 14 months with my EM-5, in all sort of conditions from comfy studio to sand and salt blasted beaches and the system hasn't missed a beat

The bulk of my work is for print sales via local gallery and craft fairs and the purchaser haven't been able to spot which prints come from my old 5Dm2 + L lenses and which come from the EM-5 + a variety of lenses (oly + one panny)

Mind you, I can and so can some of my "Toggy" mates, but only when we effectively "Pixel Peep in Print" :) (that's up to 30"x20" and 6ft + panos (from 21 frames+ )

I've got the EM-1 on order, which will demote the EM-5 to 2nd camera / back-up and I hope (expect) the EM-1 will be even more solid as a shooting work-horse

Sounds great then! And it's doing a good job! I'm looking forward to having a further try with the EM1. *chr

timd1230
15th September 2013, 08:18 PM
Been having this debate on another forum where I moderate -In my opinion good enough for much professional work - I am comfortable using EM5 at weddings with grip and if the em-1 sorts focus in low light and better focus tracking will be good for all my work.

The one area(I dont shoot) where I would be looking at keeping my Nikons would be Studio portraits where you are looking to sell Big images.

You very rarely need an image bigger than 24x12 for wedding albums and I used to make 20x24 prints from a 4MP sensor in D2HS without losing sleep.

Sisi
15th September 2013, 08:24 PM
"The one area(I dont shoot) where I would be looking at keeping my Nikons would be Studio portraits where you are looking to sell Big images."

That's interesting - you don't think that images from the OMD will go to 20x24 for example?

timd1230
15th September 2013, 08:32 PM
No - would be fine - would think fine at 30"x20" but would want to go a lot bigger want to print up to 60" and crop off the edges e.g around background.

It may be fine for studio work and printing that large as you have full control of lighting so can keep noise low - If that was my business would want to test thoroughly

But for what I do with Albums and framed prints usually around 18x12 I am confident in E-m5 and have pre ordered the e-m1 as I believe I will be able to go fully m43

brian1208
15th September 2013, 08:41 PM
would want to go a lot bigger want to print up to 60" and crop off the edges e.g around background.

With a perfectly exposed and focused image at low ISO, maybe, otherwise - no thanks :)

tomphotofx
15th September 2013, 09:12 PM
If you want to be able to produce extremely large prints take a look at OnOne Perfect Resize 7.5 or Alien Skin Blow-Up both capable of producing 600-1000 % larger than the originals without any loss of quality, amazing algorithms at work here.

Tom :)

Naughty Nigel
3rd October 2013, 06:31 PM
I have recently bought an E-M5 for professional use (for technical photography) rather than lugging the E5 around.

From what I have seen so far the low light performance of the E-M5 is significantly better than that of the E5.

For leisure use, the OM-D is much less conspicuous, and so doesn't arouse concern from paedophobic parents or stroppy (read anal) security guards. As an example, I was nearly thrown out of the Proms at Castle Howard when I used my E5 with 50 ~ 200 mm zoom to photograph the Spitfire fly past. Apparently, professional cameras are not allowed on site, and that is the law, (according to Anal Security Services at least).

I shall not be sullying their image with my money again, but that is for other reasons.

mike_j
3rd October 2013, 06:55 PM
For leisure use, the OM-D is much less conspicuous, and so doesn't arouse concern from paedophobic parents or stroppy (read anal) security guards. As an example, I was nearly thrown out of the Proms at Castle Howard when I used my E5 with 50 ~ 200 mm zoom to photograph the Spitfire fly past. Apparently, professional cameras are not allowed on site, and that is the law, (according to Anal Security Services at least).

I was stopped a couple of years ago from using my wife's Panasonic G1 with kit zoom lens in a wildlife sanctuary. My Leica M8 with 50mm f2 Summicron lens was quite acceptable under the 'no professional cameras' rule.

timd1230
3rd October 2013, 08:43 PM
I have shot sections of weddings this year with e-m5 - there are a few areas where you need t be careful - but would be entirely possible to do a whole wedding.