PDA

View Full Version : HELP! FL-50R - Wireless tigger

Hemlockwood
12th August 2013, 10:07 PM
I am very interested in macro photography and therefore lighting techniques. I would like to use the FL-50R off camera with a diffuser and but am uncertain as to whether the trigger I intend to purchase from Ebay will work. The trigger costs £14.99. Anyone used these triggers? Do they work?:) I am using an e510 camera.

Bikie John
12th August 2013, 10:53 PM
You won't know whether it "works" until you try it - but it's pretty quick and easy to check once you've got it. If it flashes, it works.

You won't get TTL flash control so you may as well set the flash to manual and experiment with flash power and aperture until the exposure is right. Which I reckon is as good a method as any!

Good luck ... John

Hemlockwood
12th August 2013, 11:14 PM
Thanks Bikie John. I knew that TTL would not be available and experimentation would be required. I was just wondering whether the "trigger" fired the flash gun. I have read elsewhere of problems with FL50-R and some triggers. I will just have to take the plunge and purchase and hope for the best.*chr

Graham_of_Rainham
12th August 2013, 11:54 PM
I use the PiXeL PAWN radio triggers and they work very well with the 50Rs

Bikie John
13th August 2013, 08:45 AM
I have an FL-50 rather than a 50R and have used it (and others) without problems with Phottix radio triggers. Which are cheap :)

I think one potential problem is if you try to use the flash as a slave, triggered by the light from a master flash. If the master flash is a fancy TTL jobbie, it fires a pre-flash so that the camera can measure exposure, then does a proper flash and takes the shot. It all happens in a fraction of a second - but the problem is that the slave flash responds to the pre-flash and is then not ready to respond to the main flash. So you will see the slave flash go off, but it has no effect on the photo. With radio control I think this is not a problem. You can also avoid it by setting the main flash to manual mode so it doesn't do the pre-flash.

Hope this helps ... John

Hemlockwood
13th August 2013, 04:44 PM
I have been checking availability and price of the Phottix radio triggers. Which particular model would be best? They are available for Nikon but I have not found any specifically for OLYMPUS.

Graham_of_Rainham
13th August 2013, 04:59 PM
PiXeL make them for Olympus/Panasonic Plus you can use it to trigger the camera as well.

Bikie John
13th August 2013, 06:52 PM
The Phottix I have is the Aster, I think it is their most basic. It's not brand-specific as it has no special functions - you put the transmitter on the camera, plug flash(es) into receiver(s) and that's it.

I don't know anything about the PiXeL that Graham mentions though, might be worth a look if you're starting from scratch.

Cheers ... John

Hemlockwood
13th August 2013, 07:26 PM
I have found a Phottix Aster trigger and receiver on Amazon for 30.86. There was one review which gave the product 4 stars - Aster did not always fire over longer distances. This will not will not present a problem for me because I only intend using it for short distances. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am going to purchase!! Cheers.*chr

Bikie John
13th August 2013, 07:40 PM
Good luck - I hope it works for you!

John