PDA

View Full Version : Fl36r & E510

Cathal
3rd September 2008, 09:56 AM
I'm new to the Olympus 4/3 system, and having spent a large number of years using Nikon gear, I need to get up to speed with some facets of the Olympus system. One of the main draws to Olympus (other than reduced cost) was the lightweight, compact size of it all and, consequently, when I do get an additional flash gun, it will be the FL36R.

My question is this:

I know the E510 doesn't have wireless flash control, but does the FL36R have a built-in slave, so that I can mount it off camera and use the pop-up flash on the E510 to trigger it?

I didn't use my SB80DX much on my Nikon system, and so was happy to sell it off, though if an FL36R can be used in this way it would be quite useful.

Kind regards,

Cathal

Makonde
3rd September 2008, 07:02 PM
when I do get an additional flash gun, it will be the FL36R.

My question is this:

I know the E510 doesn't have wireless flash control, but does the FL36R have a built-in slave, so that I can mount it off camera and use the pop-up flash on the E510 to trigger it?

Kind regards,

Cathal

Hi Cathal

I bought an FLR36R lately to go with my E520 and yes, it has slave mode (responding to the onboard flash's emission) as well as wireless control mode for bodies so equipped (where your raised onboard flash emits the control signal instead of flashing itself). It seems a nice compact small flashgun with plenty of sensible facilities and a decent number of shots for the batteries. I am pleased with it. But it does not go all that far in bounce mode.

Cathal
3rd September 2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the information. Previously, I have not been a heavy user of flash, not least because I love natural light, and when the occasion demanded it I had a set of Bowens studio lights.

Knowing that the FL36R can do what I might need it to do makes it very useable, and I can envisage scenarios where I could make use of one off camera, or maybe even use two for more creative control.

I'll download the manual and see what I can learn. Hopefully, it will be a bit more in-depth than the one shipped with the E510!