PDA

View Full Version : Corbiere Lighthouse

sapper
2nd September 2008, 08:07 PM
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/9018304.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7971)

snaarman
2nd September 2008, 08:43 PM
I quite like the composition, and I quite like the content and the B+W treatment. However (on my monitor, and also in Photoshop) it doesn't reach down to black in the shadows, and I feel it suffers as a result.

I sneaked a copy onto my hard disk and pushed it towards black, added some contrast and gave it a blue tinge, et voila, you have a moonlight version :-)

Pete

photo_owl
2nd September 2008, 08:58 PM
happy with the range - atmospheric as that coastline always demands in an imag e as well.

however the lighthouse itself lacks any of the punch found in other areas of the image (foreground as the obvious example) which doesn;t work for me in b&w image.

I do like the framing and perspective though.

angelpaaul
2nd September 2008, 09:07 PM
I'm afraid I agree with Pete. Nice subject, composition and B/W treatment but lightweight on contrast.

I 'sneaked' a copy onto my drive too and did a bit of fiddling. Boosting the contrast worked for me but I'm not sure about the moonlight effect (just down to personal taste).

Regards - Paul

The Judge
3rd September 2008, 07:42 PM
An interesting picture that has a few things wrong but by my reckoning and a bit of skill could easily be transformed into something more dramatic. A tighter crop from the left would benefit to get rid of the left ridge then clone out the second smaller ridge. This would give a smooth line up to the lighthouse which would help emphasize it.

I would try some different settings in mono as the ones here look a bit misty or even slightly washed out. Stronger contrast will probably help. Darker, richer, moodier or spookier could easily yield results. If you cannot find the right mono path and many cannot then consider colour. A dramatic sky, perhaps a rich mixture of purples and deep reds? I feel the lighthouse needs to stand out more somehow, as it is slightly small for the overall scene. The foreground is strong with a good reflection on the left and could easily be tweaked to match your sky.

Maybe it could be too much bother, this kind of activity can be terribly time consuming with often the accusation of over processed looks. I hope you have a go though or maybe post the original for us to see.

So a commendable effort and bravo for putting it in the looking for perfection thread. I think you caught the essence of a great photo and if you have the processing skills and the time I imagine this could be a real winner.

sapper
4th September 2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks for your comments guys.
I must admit to being on honeymoon and should not have posted this till I got home, my laptop does need calibrating.
Re the composition, I will try what you suggest Judge.
The rest will have to wait.......:)

snaarman
4th September 2008, 09:03 AM
I must admit to being on honeymoon ......:)

Huh! The excuses we get *chr

Pete

PS.. Congrats