PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom 2 discussion & Issues

HughofBardfield
1st September 2008, 01:14 PM
I'd been using the LR2 beta for a while and upgraded to LR2 once I'd checked there were no major issues being reported. That said, quite a lot of people are having serious issues with speed (lots of threads on http://www.flickr.com/groups/adobe_lightroom/ ). These seem to be particularly associated with the new Gradient and Adjustment tools.

Some speed issues are, apparently, caused by having either the LR2 beta or old LR1.x versions still installed (although why that should be escapes me). I uninstalled the LR2 beta when I loaded LR2 and have had no problems with speed myself. However, it's also quite possible my under-resourced machine (Dual Core 3.4GHz, but with only 1Gb RAM, running XP Pro) is already so slow I haven't noticed any difference... :)

There's also an issue with importing LR1 catalogues into LR2. In some cases, the keywords get lost. There's a semi-official fix here: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.59b5fbd8/9 which worked for me.

There seems to be reasonable confidence that the big A will bung out a 2.1 fairly soon, but there are quite a lot of fed-up users out there! Personally, I think if they can resolve the speed issue, the new tools are incredibly useful, and cover 85% of what I used Photoshop for, making it a really excellent piece of software.

theMusicMan
1st September 2008, 02:16 PM
Hi Hugh - I moved your post to a new thread as I was guilty of steering the thread way off topic... hope you don't mind.

I am finding the application excruciatingly slow at times now, especially when flicking between images - in either Grid, Loup or Develop modes. However, the operation of the new features such as the gradient or brush tools seems to be fine.

I have also found a significant improvement in LR2's Sharpen tool. I never really liked nor used this pre V2, and if an image needed sharpening I would always use CS3, but I haven't used CS3 for a while as the sharpen tool seems to have been considerably improved and does an excellent job.

I am concerned about speed issues now though, and never experienced this pre V2. I hope as you say, Adobe release a 2.1 soon to remedy this.

Ian
1st September 2008, 03:49 PM
Hi Hugh - I moved your post to a new thread as I was guilty of steering the thread way off topic... hope you don't mind.

I am finding the application excruciatingly slow at times now, especially when flicking between images - in either Grid, Loup or Develop modes. However, the operation of the new features such as the gradient or brush tools seems to be fine.

I have also found a significant improvement in LR2's Sharpen tool. I never really liked nor used this pre V2, and if an image needed sharpening I would always use CS3, but I haven't used CS3 for a while as the sharpen tool seems to have been considerably improved and does an excellent job.

I am concerned about speed issues now though, and never experienced this pre V2. I hope as you say, Adobe release a 2.1 soon to remedy this.

Sorry if this is an obvious one, but are you pre-rendering the standard previews when you import your images? This does drastically speed up browsing of images. You can also generate 1:1 (100%) previews and although this can take up a lot of space, it does speed things up a lot and you can limit their life so that after a preset time, say, a couple of weeks, the previews can be automatically deleted to preserve disk space. Previews can be generated after you have imported images as well, of course.

Ian

theMusicMan
1st September 2008, 03:53 PM
Hi Ian, yep I am rendering standard sized images on import. However, on times it can take 3-5 seconds to switch images. I didn't have this issue on LR1.4, and am only now experiencing it on LR2.

Ian
1st September 2008, 04:20 PM
Hi Ian, yep I am rendering standard sized images on import. However, on times it can take 3-5 seconds to switch images. I didn't have this issue on LR1.4, and am only now experiencing it on LR2.

If I remember correctly, you're using a Mac? Maybe it's a Mac-specific issue.

I'm using my PC laptop (2GB RAM, 2GHz AMD Turion X2 CPU) to browse a 9,000 image LR2 catalogue here and it's not as slow as you appear to be experiencing. I'm getting near instantaneous switching from one image to the next, both in Library and Develop, though occasionally there is a lingering message saying 'loading from previews" but it doesn't seem to affect anything. In Develop, the 'loading' status lasts 3-4 seconds, but the preview is practically instantaneous and I can switch from one image to the next with practically no delay.

Ian

PS, I'm running Windows Vista SP1

theMusicMan
1st September 2008, 05:19 PM
Aye, am on a Mac.

I have researched this a little and it seems there are many users in the same predicament i.e. upgraded to LR2 (on both PC and Mac OSX platforms) who are experiencing speed and performance issuse with LR. There's a suggestion that Adobe are about to release a 2.1 'fix'.

HughofBardfield
2nd September 2008, 09:58 AM
Aye, am on a Mac.

I have researched this a little and it seems there are many users in the same predicament i.e. upgraded to LR2 (on both PC and Mac OSX platforms) who are experiencing speed and performance issuse with LR. There's a suggestion that Adobe are about to release a 2.1 'fix'.

Yes, certainly the complaints we are getting on the Flickr Lightroom Group are cross-platform, and don't seem to be dependent on the OS or the capacity of the machine. It's a real shame as the new tools and other improvements are potentially a huge leap forward. Oddly, the public Beta seemed to be more stable and faster than the release version.

emirpprime
2nd September 2008, 10:56 AM
I've been holding off on both the beta and trial as I knew I would want to upgrade but am counting pennies at the moment. Seems like wisdom in hindsight. As a Mac user also I think I'll wait for 2.1.

John - It might be worth Opening activity monitor then trying to flick through some photos and watching the cpu usage. That way you can see if Lightroom suddenly starts using resources when changing images (suggesting some issue with the preview/thumbnail iamges) or whether it is constantly doing something in the background (perhaps reindexing your whole catelog). I found that when upgrading to 1.4 it was a bit slow then I left Lightroom open for 24 hours when the machine wasn't being used for any heavy work and after it was faster (subjectively speaking). This made me thing it was doing something behind the scenes that wasn't well documented.

All the best,
Phil

Ian
2nd September 2008, 01:59 PM
Aye, am on a Mac.

OK, that's interesting - but curious as I don't seem to be experiencing these problems. :confused:

Ian

theMusicMan
2nd September 2008, 02:01 PM
Hey Phil

Interesting suggestion. So... I opened Activity Monitor and lo & behold, when I am in the Develop module, and then flick between images, the CPU usage for LR2 goes up to between 100-180, when idle it is at 3.0.

So... is there something desperately wrong here?

emirpprime
3rd September 2008, 09:13 AM
So... is there something desperately wrong here?

Answering that I'm afraid is beyond me. Depending on your time/workflow etc I would do the following:

1 - Backup! Both catelog and images if possible, but its the catelog that really matters.
2 - Preferences > General > Catalog Settings > Relaunce and Optimise. Set preview size here if you want to change it, say if you have a lot of images you rarely look at you could make it standard size as opposed to 1:1.
3 - Library > Previews > Discard 1:1 Previews. This may take some time so plan on the machine being on working overnight or not doing much in Lightroom at least.

Worst case, wait for 2.1 or email adobe. They are normally pretty helpful but take a while to respond.

It might also be possible to backup, move catelogs to somewhere new and archive them (zip). Delete Lightroom using uninstaller if relevant, or Appcleaner or similar. Reinstall. Then un-zip the old catalog and Import Catalog into the fresh install of Lightroom. Hopefully that will rebuild etc everything.

Good luck!
Phil

HughofBardfield
4th September 2008, 10:01 AM
This discussion thread may be of interest:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/adobe_lightroom/discuss/72157607074073712/

I recall there were issues with previous editions of LR and Nvidia. Not sure if this is applicable to anyone here, but may be worth a look.

petrovich
19th December 2008, 12:37 PM
Sorry to show ignorance on this but I have a feeling the lovely Patsy has puchased Lightroom 2 for me at Chrimbo....*smileysanta*smileysanta

do I uninstall 1.4 beforehand, keeping a copy of the library file, or just install and leave alone?

Regards

StephenL
19th December 2008, 12:44 PM
My feeling is that LR, like most Adobe products, works best as a clean install, so you are right to do your first option.

petrovich
19th December 2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks Stephen, will go that route if hunch is correct.

Regards

StephenL
19th December 2008, 01:27 PM
That's the way that worked for me, both with Lightroom and with my CS3 to CS4 upgrade.

petrovich
19th December 2008, 01:45 PM
Hi Stephen, I have CS2 but find I am using it less and less and cannot really justify at the moment. If someone convinces me I need it then I might consider....

Regards

HughofBardfield
19th December 2008, 05:27 PM
Sorry to show ignorance on this but I have a feeling the lovely Patsy has puchased Lightroom 2 for me at Chrimbo....*smileysanta*smileysanta

do I uninstall 1.4 beforehand, keeping a copy of the library file, or just install and leave alone?

Regards

Some users have reported speed and other issues if LR1.4 is not uninstalled. On the other hand, others (including me - with a fairly average PC running XP professional) noted little difference. I got rid of 1.4 anyway on the principle Stephen suggests. There are quite a few threads about this on the Flickr Lightroom group mentioned above if you'd like more info.

LR is now up to v2.2 as of earlier this week, including support for new cameras (including the 5D Mark II), upgraded camera profiles (based on the betas released earlier this year) and some fixes to known issues with v2.0 still outstanding from v2.1. See http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4234

Nothing is perfect, and the upgrade leaves all the old camera profiles lying around (especially if you installed some of the beta versions). Matt Kloskowski has a useful tip on this: see here - http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/2008/tip-removing-old-camera-profiles/

Gwyver
19th December 2008, 06:32 PM

Regards

Have you looked at this forum? http://www.lightroomforums.net/index.php

I think there is quite alot of advice on upgrading from LR1.4 to LR2.

BTW don't bother to install the LR2.0 from the CD you receive (this version is reknowned for it's bugs). Instead downlight the latest upgrade from Adobe's site here:-
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4234

Then install from this download and then enter the 24 digit serial number printed your CD box on the registration page when you first start Lightroom.

The latest release LR2.2 performs much better than before - especially when you use the Graduated Filter and Brush Local Adjustment Tools.

HTH

mike_j
19th December 2008, 08:17 PM
(Dual Core 3.4GHz, but with only 1Gb RAM, running XP Pro) is already so slow I haven't noticed any difference... :)

I really think you are short of RAM, these applications are very demanding on memory. I run a fairly fast pc with maximum memory and have no problems with V2.1 despite the overhead of the Vista operating system whereas on my old pc with a reasonable processor and optimised XP Pro but only 1.5G memory LM v1.4 was a bit painful. Looking at the performance monitor I think speed is memory, rather then processor, limited.

petrovich
21st December 2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. If received I will remove 1.4 and backup catalogue/library file.

Regards

*snowflake*snowflake

petrovich
30th December 2008, 06:48 AM
Lightroom 2 rec'd :D:D and the next day my Thinkpad went "Belly Up" electronically :eek::eek: so I have just ordered a Sony Vaio unit with loads of memory and hopefully will be discovering what this software can do later this week.

Regards.

*crazyxmas

Gwyver
30th December 2008, 03:01 PM
Lightroom 2 rec'd :D:D and the next day my Thinkpad went "Belly Up" electronically :eek::eek: so I have just ordered a Sony Vaio unit with loads of memory and hopefully will be discovering what this software can do later this week.

Regards.

*crazyxmas

Peter,
I hope your new Vaio has a big screen. Also I strongly recommend using a (Wacom) tablet with Lightroom - there are lots of very small buttons which will be very fiddly (also making Local Adjustments exactly as you intend) unless you're a real wizard using (built-in) Laptop pointing devices accurately.
Regards,

edwardholloway
2nd January 2009, 07:28 PM
Slightly off-thread but this relates to E-3 filenames and importing into Lightroom.

I run a an image filing system that alocates each image a filename in the format: YY_camera type_XXXX. This gives the year the image was created, the camera used and a simple, 4-digit sequential number. So, for an E-3, 2008 image, the filename would be: 08_E3_2356.

The Canon cameras that I use generate a 2-letter, 4-digit filename, eg. MG_2356. Importing this through Lightroom, the software allows me to "strip off" the 4 digits and add them to my file numbering system, eg. 08_5D_2356.

Unfortunately, the Olympus numbering system is more complex and far less amenable to manipulation. For the E-3 set to AdobeRGB colour, the file format is _MDDXXXXX, M being month, and DD being day that image was created.

I need to find a method that enables Lightroom to strip off just the last 4 (or 5) digits of the original filename and append them to my year/camera type format. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edwardholloway

DerekW
2nd January 2009, 08:31 PM
I have found the Olympus file naming method to be the best of the bunch as it has no repeated redundant character strings eg DSCN etc in the name - The leading character can be changed to reflect the year and then you get a unique file name (as long as you do not exceed 9999 pictures in a day.)

Today I updated my E3 file name menu setting such that the leading character is a V, last years was a U.

No doubt Lightroom handles all images coming from RAW format in a colour neutral way and does not assign them to Adobe RGB or sRGB until it is producing an output file. (If it behaves similarly to Aperture). This means that the leading digit is immaterial

petrovich
3rd January 2009, 09:52 PM
OK I installed a clean V2 on to the Sony and it works fine, I have also installed some of Matts gradient and brush presets and they seem ok as well.
I have a slightly different method of organising files, I use Elements 6 on insertion of card or various media, this then saves to a external USB hard drive in date order where I then select the obvious non candidates in Fastone and remove. What are left I then import into Lightroom for editing and then save to the USB drive again. It might be round the houses slightly but I found that the library feature in Lightroom was the area that seemed to slow everything down in V1.4 and as everyone says each person has a slightly different way of working.

Regards

p.s. I have just received The Adobe Lightroom 2 book so the workflow above will probably change as the import / file structure methods are explained clearly.