PDA

View Full Version : New m4/3 camera

Alpha1
31st July 2013, 04:19 PM
Panasonic have leaked details of their new GX7 camera. The GX7 is reported to have a brand new high end sensor with a nifty swivelling 2.6million dot EVF and swivelling LCD.

This link provides further reading regarding the sensor:
http://m43blog.com/panasonic-gx7-will-feature-better-sensor-than-any-current-m43-model/

I wonder if this is a spoiler release in front of Olympus's new model? if so I am eagerly awaiting the new camera.........it might even have AF off of the sensor which would overcome all our BIF problems! ;)

Ah, we can always dream! *zzz

Zuiko
31st July 2013, 04:28 PM
Hi Dave, the GX7 certainly looks interesting, not least because of a built-in EVF in a rangefinder style body and it being the first Panasonic body with IBIS, albeit only 2 axis.

Glee
31st July 2013, 05:17 PM
It sounds interesting but the last time I saw a stylish looking Panasonic was the GF1, it may not matter so some but I think the look and feel is also important. Cameras are more than a flashy spec list to me.

That said I have no idea what the GX7 will look like, but if its an ugly duckling it won't get my vote.

benvendetta
31st July 2013, 05:41 PM
It will give the ep5 a run for its money due to the fancy evf. It is announced tomorrow.

David Morison
31st July 2013, 07:13 PM
....it might even have AF off of the sensor which would overcome all our BIF problems! ;)

I wouldn't be too sure of that, despite being very capable of BIF of the larger, slower flying birds the E5/E30 I owned could not match the best that Canikon can offer.

David

Glee
31st July 2013, 10:13 PM
Progress in m4/3 is never a bad thing and if it keeps competitors on their toes for a market share then we all stand to gain. Every good camera needs a good photographer to draw out its full potential but a good camera and a poor photographer will never shine.

Jetset95
1st August 2013, 06:41 AM
I think the new M4/3 bodies are getting there, especially with faster SS (1/8000) which allow us to use those lovely super fast prime lenses on a sunny day without resorting to ND filters or fancy strobist tricks. I'm not looking to replace my OM-D anytime soon yet (my wife would kill me for a start) but maybe in a years time well start to have some of the new, new sensor tech which will allow phase detection as well...

Alpha1
1st August 2013, 07:33 AM
The GX7 is moving closer with focus peaking. I really like the EVF with it's swivelling to 90 degrees function.

Funnily enough I have recently acquired the mZuiko 75-300 mk2 lens and whist it is early days yet, so far my Pana 100-300 just tops it for sharpness, but the colour rendition of the Zuiko is a tad more pleasing. These subjective tests are conducted by putting each lens on an OMD body (luckily I have two)and each is set up exactly the same.

The Panny lens (using IBIS) seems to find focus a tad quicker and far more accurately than the mZuiko but I need to compare them in many more different light conditions to be sure and then change each lens to the other's body to ensure that it is not a difference in bodies that is causing the difference.

jamsa
1st August 2013, 07:46 AM
The GX7 is moving closer with focus peaking. I really like the EVF with it's swivelling to 90 degrees function.

Funnily enough I have recently acquired the mZuiko 75-300 mk2 lens and whist it is early days yet, so far my Pana 100-300 just tops it for sharpness, but the colour rendition of the Zuiko is a tad more pleasing. These subjective tests are conducted by putting each lens on an OMD body (luckily I have two)and each is set up exactly the same.

The Panny lens (using IBIS) seems to find focus a tad quicker and far more accurately than the mZuiko but I need to compare them in many more different light conditions to be sure and then change each lens to the other's body to ensure that it is not a difference in bodies that is causing the difference.

I might just decide to keep the panny in that case.... Was selling it to get the oly :-)

wellyboot
1st August 2013, 09:42 AM

I would be really interested to hear the results of your tests please Dave, although I suppose there is the possibility of variation between lenses of the same make. How often do we hear people say "my so and so lens is a really good sharp copy"?
That said, I think your testing will be pretty definitive with all the variations you're putting into place. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to do that!

David Morison
1st August 2013, 09:47 AM

But don't forget that the Panasonic diaphragm can't keep up with the 9 frames/sec of the EM5 whereas the Olympus can. An important factor if you use it for BIF or motor sport.

David

Iansky
1st August 2013, 10:24 AM
I think Panasonic were dissapointed with the response to the GX1, it was billed as a real high level replacement for the GF1 and the start of a new line but it just did not take off (great camera though and I did own one for a while) and ended up as a "stop gap".

They needed to up their game and deliver what they promised and with the OMD stealing the limelight in the Mu43 scene, they probably felt they needed a good GX1 replacement to compliment the GH3 that is a larger camera.

It can only be a good thing providing both Olympus & Panasonic are upping their game and releasing some really great technically proficient cameras but they both need to work hard on their marketing as their promotion of brand/product awareness is really poor.

deckitout
1st August 2013, 03:49 PM
For sure, It's all moving in the right direction, Park Cameras are listing the price as £819 body only, makes the EP5 look overpriced at £899 and no VF. The competition will benifit us hopefully

Phil

tomphotofx
1st August 2013, 10:10 PM
This certainly looks an interesting camera especially with reference to the new sensor, 25% improvement on noise reduction and 1/8000sec shutter speed.

Introducing the new Panasonic LUMIX GX7 at Park Cameras - YouTube

Tom

Glee
2nd August 2013, 10:41 AM
Hard to know what the baseline is when measuring 25% improvement, the older GX1 camera? That would bring it in line with.the OMD or EPL5, but if its against the GH3 then wow! So e how I doubt it, why would you take away from your flagship camera.

The other bit is how much of this is outright sensor performance and what fraction if any is down to yet more in camera processing, bit like lens correction. I loath the idea that we end up with a formulaic image look decided by a software engineers, raw should be precisely that, can't wait to see some images mind

Chevvyf1
2nd August 2013, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't be too sure of that, despite being very capable of BIF of the larger, slower flying birds the E5/E30 I owned could not match the best that Canikon can offer.

David

It would be good news ... maybe ?

Chevvyf1
2nd August 2013, 12:10 PM
Panasonic have leaked details of their new GX7 camera. The GX7 is reported to have a brand new high end sensor with a nifty swivelling 2.6million dot EVF and swivelling LCD.

This link provides further reading regarding the sensor:
http://m43blog.com/panasonic-gx7-will-feature-better-sensor-than-any-current-m43-model/

I wonder if this is a spoiler release in front of Olympus's new model? if so I am eagerly awaiting the new camera.........it might even have AF off of the sensor which would overcome all our BIF problems! ;)

Dave, I trust your keeping one eye on an Olympus Press Release ?

Thanks for this post though .. its time for Launch to capture the Christmas market sales :)

Alpha1
2nd August 2013, 04:22 PM
I might just decide to keep the panny in that case.... Was selling it to get the oly :-)

I might sell the Oly 75-300 and keep the Panny100-300. So far the Oly wins hands down at full zoom which is where I mostly use it!

These DXO lab test charts comparing all the m4/3rds lenses also conform this but I have only just seen these and had alreadyreached my own conclusion first. I might take it back as it is quite new and try to get full credit against a Panny 35-100 F2.8.
http://www.43rumors.com/dxomark-selects-the-best-mft-prime-and-zoom-lenses/

Interestingly all of the lenses have a higher score when used with an OMD than with a GH3!