PDA

View Full Version : rawtherapee

Ellie
31st August 2008, 04:40 PM
Does anybody have any experience of using this software?

If so, what's your opinion? Is it relatively straightforward to set up and use?

crimbo
31st August 2008, 04:48 PM
dont know what it is about rawtherapee but i occasionally download it use it and then return to PS with ACR or the Olympus Master import to PS ... I'll probably download it again now to see whats changed

snaarman
31st August 2008, 04:59 PM
I downloaded it and wasn't impressed. So much so I recently deleted it. Can't recall why, but probably it was too slow..

I am a big fan of Xnview, but even that gets itself in a twist if you have too many raw files in a directory.

I'll stick with Adobe Raw plugin for the moment

Pete

crimbo
31st August 2008, 04:59 PM
ah ha ...just downloaded it again and find it cluncky! If you use it then set the demosaicing interpolation to VNG...works best with Oly files

wet in washington
31st August 2008, 05:37 PM
Give FastStone Image Viewer a try. I like it best out of all the free ones.

Barr1e
31st August 2008, 05:58 PM
Give FastStone Image Viewer a try. I like it best out of all the free ones.

Thanks for the tip and welcome to e-group.

Regards. Barr1e

Ellie
31st August 2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Hmm, it doesn't sound as good as I'd hoped.

I've got CaptureOne4 which is OK but seems to have developed a bug so I thought I'd try an alternative through personal recommendation - it has to be freeware. It also needs to be relatively idiot proof, with help files written in jargon-free language.

Out of interest, what is it that makes you like Xnview or FastStone Image Viewer?

Oh yes, welcome to the forum "wet in washington" :)

wet in washington
31st August 2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks Barrie, been lurking around for awhile and finally decided to join. Lots of good info. and folks here.

Thanks Ellie, what makes it for me is 1: It's free 2: It's easy to use.

snaarman
31st August 2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Hmm, it doesn't sound as good as I'd hoped.

Out of interest, what is it that makes you like Xnview or FastStone Image Viewer?

Oh yes, welcome to the forum "wet in washington" :)

OK, I like to be able to view image thumbnails, shift, delete and generally handle images quickly. Also I would like to select which images I want to send to Photoshop for more work. So - until a month ago I used Exifer - an out of date image and exif viewer.

However I was introduced to Xnview here and I have to say I am hooked. It will show the images in your selected folder as adjustable size thumbnails. You can link it to your own editor (PS Elements in my case). It does slideshows. It makes stand alone slideshows (as an .exe file). It even makes web galleries! (My web page galleries were made with a tweaked version of Xnview) It is endlessly adjustabe so you can get it to look just how you like it. It will show Raw thumbnails, but it is slow to get them on the screen, so only 9 marks out of 10 from me. Oh - and its free.

Pete

HughofBardfield
1st September 2008, 10:30 AM
The thing with Raw Therapee is that it uses (or can be set to use) the DCRAW conversion engine which gives a different slant on images to ACR, including additional highlight recovery.

I mostly use Lightroom, because of its cataloguing and metadata capabilities, but sometimes find it helpful to use Raw Therapee as an alternative to the ACR converter (and it gives more control than Oly Master). I also use Lightzone, as I like the "Zone system" style controls it gives me (especially, but not exclusively for B&W). Both have rescued images that ACR was having real problems rendering.

I don't think there is a "perfect" RAW converter: they are all slightly different and the GUIs will suit different people.

I use XnView as my "quick and dirty" image viewer. Much better than the cr*p that comes with Windoze IMHO.

Ellie
1st September 2008, 04:18 PM
:o I haven't got a clue what those acronyms mean.

For editing RAW I've got CaptureOne, for JPEG I use photofiltre because I've never quite got the hang of photoshop and can't really afford to spend out on something else I might not use, even though some of them are free for a little while, which is why I'm looking for an alternative editor.

HughofBardfield
2nd September 2008, 10:30 AM
:o I haven't got a clue what those acronyms mean.

For editing RAW I've got CaptureOne, for JPEG I use photofiltre because I've never quite got the hang of photoshop and can't really afford to spend out on something else I might not use, even though some of them are free for a little while, which is why I'm looking for an alternative editor.

Apologies for the gobbledegook Ellie :o

ACR is Adobe Camera Raw, the RAW conversion engine used within Lightroom and as a plug-in application with Photoshop (the latest versions only work with Photoshop CS3).

DCRAW is an Open Source - ie free - RAW converter program. The original version is a "command line" program, and not very user-friendly. There are a number of user-friendly front ends that use the same conversion software however, including UFRAW (Unidentified Flying RAW - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFRaw ) and Raw Therapee ( http://www.rawtherapee.com/?mitem=2 ) amongst others. Both those are free.

I quite agree about not spending money unnecessarily. I often recommend The GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program - http://www.gimp.org/windows/ ) for that reason. The user interface is a bit clunky, but it has most of the functions of Photoshop, masses of optional plugins, and is free to download. I got a buckshee copy of Photoshop CS with my PC, but until then I'd used The GIMP quite a bit. Once I bought Lightroom, I found less need to use Photoshop, and the latest version includes localised editing tools that mean Photoshop is needed even less.

Lightzone ( http://www.lightcrafts.com/ ) is another photo-editing and RAW conversion program (30-day free trial available, but paid-for for more extended use). It has limited file management and cataloguing tools.

As a simple image management and cataloguing app, as Pete says, XnView takes a lot of beating ( http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enhome.html )

Hope that helps.