PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions

DaiTheDragon
28th July 2013, 08:08 PM
The reviews I have read all say the continuous focus is not that good. So can you tell me is it good enough to lock on and focus on say a dog running parallel to me or panning a car from the side.

One other thing I am wondering is when you use Panasonic lenses with optical image stabiliser do you switch it of and just use the OMD in camera stabiliser.

Thanks
David

Zuiko
28th July 2013, 09:02 PM
Hi David, I presume this is the E-M5?

Continuous focus tracking is the one thing that the E-M5, or any other current Micro Four Thirds camera, doesn't do very well. It should be fine for panning parallel moving subjects, but single shot AF is so fast and accurate that it will probably be just as good. The biggest problem you are likely to have is with fast (or even moderate) moving subjects coming towards you or following an erratic course. In this situation a DSLR wins hands down and the E-M5 isn't really up to the task. Luckily I don't do much of that type of photography.

The Panasonic OIS is excellent, but the 5 axis sensor stabilization in the E-M5 is supposed to be better. Some Panasonic lenses have an OIS switch, so make sure it is "Off" if you are using Olympus IBIS. Some Panasonic lenses don't have a switch, but OIS is only activated if the lens detects a Panasonic body. There is a third set of Panasonic lenses, like the 20mm f1.7, which don't have OIS at all and therefore cannot be stabilized on a Panasonic camera but can be on an Olympus camera!

The important thing, when the lens has a seperate switch, is to make sure you don't have both systems operating at once!

I use a Panasonic 14-45mm as the standard lens on my E-M5 and I keep checking that the lens switch is off. I have yet to accidentally turn it on, but it could happen! :)

OlyPaul
29th July 2013, 07:46 AM
As John said it will be fine for parallel moving subjects or panning.

As for a dog running toward you forget it with mtf and just focus on point in front of the dog and fire a split second before he enters it, as I did here with the E-PL5 and m40-150mm at a 150mm. :)

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography/image/150880349/original.jpg

zuiko-holic
29th July 2013, 08:18 AM
The E-M5 (or any other m4/3 camera as Zuiko has already pointed out) isn't the ideal camera for capturing moving subjects.

However, what I want to point out is that not any DSLR is awesome for that job either.
Sure, a top-of-the-line DSLR camera with an ultra fast AF lens will definitely do a great job but no one should expect a marvellous result by an entry-level camera with a kit lens just because it's a DSLR.

With the very fast AF of the E-M5 even with it's kit lenses and the proper technique of the photographer given, the E-M5 can produce good to great results with moving subjects.

Actually, I hardly ever miss my E-3 or E-5 for that reason.
And I've been using the 12-60 and 50-200 SWD lenses, not just any lens.

The E-M5 is so responsive and fast (as is the much underestimated Zuiko 12-50, Zuiko 40-150 R is great too) that I never think it twice before I start taking pictures of subject in motion.

Wally
29th July 2013, 08:33 AM
With regard to the Panasonic lens with IS. You do have the option of IS on the lens OR using the IS on the camera. You can't use both at the same time. With an Olympus camera the IS is on-board. With a Panasonic camera, the IS is on the lens - not on the camera... hence the confusion.

If using an Olympus camera, always opt for the inbuilt camera IS... leave the lens IS in the OFF position.

ayewing
29th July 2013, 08:55 AM
As John said it will be fine for parallel moving subjects or panning.

As for a dog running toward you forget it with mtf and just focus on point in front of the dog and fire a split second before he enters it, as I did here with the E-PL5 and m40-150mm at a 150mm. :)

This technique comes naturally to those of us who are old enough to have been accustomed to manually focused cameras like rangefinders.

DaiTheDragon
29th July 2013, 12:44 PM
Thank you all for helping. I wasn't expecting the E-M5 to be brilliant as long as I know before I buy. Trouble is I am so used to using the Canon 1DMark lV and prime lenses I think it will take awhile for me to adjust my expectations.
David

cOMpact
29th July 2013, 11:03 PM
Dai

In the days of film SLRs (Olympus of course) I used to take pictures at motorcycle races. It was manual focus only that was available. Panning gets good results with practice. Shooting bikes coming toward you on a bend say involved, as John said, focussing on a point in the track and releasing the shutter as the subject got there.

The disadvantage the was that you couldn’t see the results until the film had been processed. With digital it will be so much easier as you can see instantly what adjustments need to be made regarding timing the shot.

If I had a pound for every duff picture that came back from the processors......

Zuiko
30th July 2013, 12:07 AM
Thank you all for helping. I wasn't expecting the E-M5 to be brilliant as long as I know before I buy. Trouble is I am so used to using the Canon 1DMark lV and prime lenses I think it will take awhile for me to adjust my expectations.
David

I don't think there is any denying that you will miss certain features and areas of performance from your 1DMarkIV but, with your illness in mind, a much smaller, lighter camera such as the EM5 will hopefully enable you to continue enjoying photography long past the point when a large DSLR becomes difficult to manage.

Iansky
30th July 2013, 09:40 AM
Hi Dai,

AFC/tracking on the OMD is rubbish as I found out at a recent airshow, I was forced to switch to AFS that is very fast and use panning to capture the shot, I constantly "tapped" the shutter button while panning to keep refocussing on the subject, it did work for both panning and straight on shots.

You can see quite a few examples of this method on my site:

http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk/

I did try to post some images from my gallery here but for some reason it would not work?

Alpha1
30th July 2013, 11:05 AM
Excellent images Ian, I really like the A400 and Red arrows shots.*chr

A really nice bit of panning....it isn't easy with the OMD!

I have often thought about re-assigning a button on the back for AF as it would then be just right for thumb activation.

davidfarquhar
30th July 2013, 07:23 PM
Dave that's what I did at the RIAT airshow. Back button assigned to focus leaving the shutter button to take the picture. I combined this with a play with a depth of field calculator - when focussing 100m away at f/8 and 150mm zoom you have quite a good depth of field. So you don't have to focus as you take the picture, just close enough to get it right. Sometimes I focused on the hangers opposite us as they seemed to be the same distance as a low flying plane straight over the runway.

Unfortunately I managed I take over 2000 photos so its taking me a while to edit but its prk promising so far, and shows that with a bit of lateral thinking the OM-d can capture action shots