PDA

View Full Version : Useful E-3 firmware changes we would like to see.

beardedwombat
9th December 2007, 01:14 PM
On the offchance that the boffins at Olympus might read this thread I would like to offer a couple of firmware changes that I think might be useful to users:-

1. When changing settings using the 'Super Control Panel' it would be nice to be able to use the up & down arrow keys as well as the left & right keys, so you could jump from line to line without having to scroll through every parameter.
2. Please make it possible to assign functions to the arrow keys as well as the function button, with additional functions e.g. One shot white balance (a la E-1), one shot metering change to preselected meter, one shot ISO change to preselected ISO rating, one shot AF change to preselected mode (from single point to dynamic single point for example), one shot gradation change (to auto perhaps).
3. Improve the battery state indicator to give a more accurate indication of state of charge i.e more than two blocks.
4. Sorry about this but the Nikon "My Menu" idea is a good one!

Anyone like to add any more?

Cheers
Chris

DerekW
9th December 2007, 02:22 PM
The ability to dump the settings in the camera to a text file on the CF card so that one print it /store it on the computer.

beardedwombat
9th December 2007, 07:33 PM
Another required firmware alteration which is an adjustment rather than a change would be to correct the E-3's inability to autofocus on repeating horizontal or vertical lines such as blinds etc. The E-510 doesn't like them much either but does generally find focus whereas the E-3 just won't focus on this sort of target particularly in lowish light.
Chris

R MacE
9th December 2007, 08:29 PM
The only thing I'd like is to be able to assign the Metering Mode to the Exp Comp button.

Ideally I'd prefer to be able to change the Exp Comp Button to WB and the WB Button to Metering but thats probably asking too much :)

R MacE
9th December 2007, 08:33 PM
Another required firmware alteration which is an adjustment rather than a change would be to correct the E-3's inability to autofocus on repeating horizontal or vertical lines such as blinds etc. The E-510 doesn't like them much either but does generally find focus whereas the E-3 just won't focus on this sort of target particularly in lowish light.
Chris

I haven't had a problem with that, I can defocus manually and the AF jumps into focus instantly in both landscape or portrait hold. Thats with the 14-54 in light sufficient to give me 1/4 @f/3.5 (iso100)

beardedwombat
10th December 2007, 07:30 AM
I haven't had a problem with that, I can defocus manually and the AF jumps into focus instantly in both landscape or portrait hold. Thats with the 14-54 in light sufficient to give me 1/4 @f/3.5 (iso100)
I believe this is a focus issue that has been noted elsewhere. For example I seem to remember reading an E-3 preview where the reviewer had problems focussing on a stack of plates. I have just tried focussing on white venetian blinds and on a white radiator and regardless of the focus setting (single point, all points etc) or the lens used, the E-3 failed to focus. On the same targets my E-510 shunts back and forth but does find focus. This is the only focus issue I have found with the E-3, focussing is otherwise very good indeed.
Chris

Melaka
10th December 2007, 08:00 AM
How about the ability to use an FL40 as we could with the E1, E20 etc? Having to buy a new flash for the relatively small number of times it gets used is an expense I could do without. Putting right the irritating problem noted elsewhere when pictures switch from portrait to landscape whilst being viewed would be a help too.

emirpprime
10th December 2007, 12:20 PM
How about being able to set My Modes to be able to be used without having to hold the Fn button? I might have missed something with this but it ruins the use for me. Instead I use Custom Reset settings to store my setting modes.
Also, being able to rename and manage them, and have more, would br amazing :) Especially if they showed in Studio/Master and could be backed up. I think this is really really important, for me ;)
Phil

Ian
10th December 2007, 02:00 PM
How about being able to set My Modes to be able to be used without having to hold the Fn button? I might have missed something with this but it ruins the use for me. Instead I use Custom Reset settings to store my setting modes.
Also, being able to rename and manage them, and have more, would br amazing :) Especially if they showed in Studio/Master and could be backed up. I think this is really really important, for me ;)
Phil

Someone - on Four Thirds User maybe - wanted to be able to download the custom setup and load it onto several other bodies - sounds like a great idea to me.

Ian

Dick Bowman
10th December 2007, 04:06 PM
I'd appreciate being able to do firmware upgrades from a file downloaded and copied onto a CF card - losing vulnerability to net/computer failures and/or shutdowns while the upgrade is in progress.

And so that I can revert to an earlier version in the event of difficulties.

beardedwombat
11th December 2007, 08:46 PM
I've thought of another useful firmware mod - press and hold two buttons (say Delete & Playback) to display Format screen, press again to format (pinched from Nikon again I'm afraid).
Chris

sapper
12th December 2007, 09:10 AM
How about mirror lock up?

Dave.

R MacE
12th December 2007, 09:31 AM
It has Mirror Lock-Up but it's called 'Anti Shock'

Menu > Camera 2 > Anti-Shock > Off/1 sec up to 30secs :)

sapper
12th December 2007, 09:59 AM
It has Mirror Lock-Up but it's called 'Anti Shock'

Menu > Camera 2 > Anti-Shock > Off/1 sec up to 30secs :)

I beg to differ. Anti shock is not the same as mirror lock up, it is a delayed action . Mirror lock up means that after locking the mirror up, the photographer takes the photo when he/she determines the right time is and is not confined to the delay set in camera.

Dave.

R MacE
12th December 2007, 10:15 AM
I beg to differ. Anti shock is not the same as mirror lock up, it is a delayed action . Mirror lock up means that after locking the mirror up, the photographer takes the photo when he/she determines the right time is and is not confined to the delay set in camera.

Dave.

You're right of course, the last camera I used that had MLU was on OM1 :)

beardedwombat
12th December 2007, 01:31 PM

Dave.
Yes but the delayed action works quite well in practice. It should be grouped with single/sequential/self-timer/remote shooting mode and accessed from the direct button as it is a function that is frequently used.
Chris

sapper
12th December 2007, 01:55 PM
Yes but the delayed action works quite well in practice. It should be grouped with single/sequential/self-timer/remote shooting mode and accessed from the direct button as it is a function that is frequently used.
Chris

Yes for most stuff it will work, but for a Pro model, it realy should have the option of locking the mirror up so that I can decide when to take the pic.
Dave.

Invicta
13th December 2007, 10:33 PM
I would like to see the Infra-red remote release separated from the bracketing exposure in the drive mode.

As far as I can tell you can not use the infra-red release to take a picture with a bracketed exposure, it only works for a single shot.

beardedwombat
14th December 2007, 08:35 AM
I would like to see the Infra-red remote release separated from the bracketing exposure in the drive mode.

As far as I can tell you can not use the infra-red release to take a picture with a bracketed exposure, it only works for a single shot.
You can use the IR remote release for bracketting but you have to push the button for each exposure as you can't use the remote for sequential shooting.

Bruce Clarke
15th December 2007, 05:45 PM
Phil

It's there already, but the whole My Mode/Custom Reset thing is a bit of a mess, and very unintuitive. Once you've set a My Mode it will appear in the spin through the modes as you hold the Mode button down.

Bruce

Bruce Clarke
15th December 2007, 06:23 PM
Most of the time I shoot JPG, and try to get it right in camera. The NF adjustments are nice and fine, but a pain to change as you change ISO. We will all have different ideas of what we want to use, some will turn it off all the time, others will leave it on one setting, but it would be great if you could allocate particular NF settings to particular ISOs so NF setting changed as you change ISOs.

I've done some tests using the excellent FastStone browser to compare the four NF settings side-by-side for each ISO. I'd probably set it off for 100-320, Low for 400-1600, and Low or Standard for 3200, although shooting Raw really looks the answer for 1600 up.

Bruce

beardedwombat
16th December 2007, 11:46 AM
Another useful mod for me would be the ability to swap round the functions of the dials when the mode button is pressed. If you are looking at the top lcd panel (as I do) when changing main settings, it would be more logical to have the rear dial change the single shot/sequential/timer/remote etc and the front dial change the shooting mode as the icon for the former is nearer the rear dial and the icon for the latter is nearer the front dial.
Chris

Invicta
16th December 2007, 07:15 PM
Bit of a tall ask but it would be handy to be able to use both CompactFlash and xD-Picture slots at the same time e.g. write RAW to CF and JPG to the xD.

TakeToTheHills
16th December 2007, 10:09 PM
It would be nice to be able to swap the rotation direction of the shutter speed rear dial. It has to be turned counter-clockwise to increase speed, which seems counter intuitive to me. The aperture - being at the front of the camera turns the correct way.

HDR bracket >5 fps of 0,-2,+2 without intermediate mirror reset (with a single trigger press similar to the way ISO bracket works).

Super-resolution mode - using the X-Y IS to half/random pixel shift the sensor without mirror reset between shots.

Interval timer - 1 frame per 10s/20s/30s/1m/2m .... etc.

Basic contrast AF in live view.

AshMills
18th June 2008, 07:35 PM
I would really like - Press delete, camera goes straight to playback yes/no delete image screen, like the E1 did.

Also Id like the ability to have the SSWF operate on power-down rather than power up, just to save a moment on startup, and placate the reviewers..

Also I find there`s a delay on the mode changes - if that could be reduced I would`nt miss the (quicker and frankly better) mode dial on the E1/E4**/E5** etc.

I would love contrast detect AF on Live View, and the abilty to turn off the AF for live view so the mirror could stay up, and we have silent capture...

Finally I would love olympus even more if they added focus confirmation to legacy lenses.

Graham_of_Rainham
18th June 2008, 08:07 PM
Multi-Spot Metering - As per C-8080 & OM3/4 PLEASE

Graham

250swb
18th June 2008, 08:59 PM
SSWF on power down? So you'd rather have any dust on your sensor removed after taking your photo's, not before? Baffled :confused:

sapper
18th June 2008, 09:02 PM
Lower iso's, 25,50.
Dave.

Zuiko
18th June 2008, 09:29 PM
More "My Modes." These are a fantastic way to quickly access favourite settings for different situations and more than to would be really useful.

Wreckdiver
26th June 2008, 12:38 PM
I'd like to see +2.0 and -2.0 EVs added to AE Bracketing.

Steve

Jim Ford
26th June 2008, 01:25 PM
Also Id like the ability to have the SSWF operate on power-down rather than power up, just to save a moment on startup, and placate the reviewers..

A C-A-N-O-N or N-I-K-O-N on the front of the pentaprism housing, instead or O-L-Y-M-P-U-S, to placate the reviewers.

Jim

250swb
26th June 2008, 08:42 PM
Oh what the heck, I'll join in.

I'd like to see a hyperfocal focus setting, where you can set the aperture and see on a scale the distance near to far where the lens will be in focus and lock it. We could/can do it with none ZD lenses just using the lens barrel scale. I'm sure somebody will say that we already have a DOF preview button, but its not the same sort of thing. This would be a useful tool for quick action photographs where even AF is slow and/or indiscriminate. Even Canon offer a similar setting where it chooses the best aperture to cover foreground to background focus, but again it isn't quite the same sort of thing.

Steve

Invicta
26th June 2008, 09:20 PM
The main menus should have options for all settings. Having some tucked away on the buttons is a tad annoying. The main menu should have all settings so at least there is one place to go to find everything.

Garrie
27th June 2008, 12:07 AM
I'd like to see +2.0 and -2.0 EVs added to AE Bracketing.

Steve

I am truely shocked, I thought the E3 would have this as standard :eek::eek:

I would like to see the same thing added to the E510 *yes..