PDA

View Full Version : Creating helpful Contact sheets

DerekW
29th August 2008, 07:21 PM
Photobox have stopped creating contact sheets - which is a pity as I found them useful to supply with the CD of photos I supplied to the charity.

I have dug around and discovered the Contact sheet feature in Photoshop Automate menu -
It creates a Jpeg file but does not provide an easy way of putting a page title in.

I have searched Version Tracker and found two promising applications
which print out contact sheets with the ability to customise the page title, they are PixCompare and Thumbprinter, however they only print out the contact sheet - so to create a JPEG image I have to save the output as a PDF and then use Preview to Save as each PDF file page as a JPEG file.

So what I am looking for is a method of improving the Photoshop method so that I can add a page title. Do you know of such a PS "Action"

I am using a Mac

Thanks for any comments

shenstone
30th August 2008, 10:11 AM
Faststone does a great job of contact sheets with titles etc. http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

It's free, but it's a Windows product so you would have to run an XP emulator or get a friend to do it

Regards
Andy

DerekW
30th August 2008, 12:41 PM
Thank you - but even though I have an old machine with windows on it it is only to test that any CDs I create are readable

I now have a workable solution.

I use PixCompare to creat the contact sheet - it supports page title and file names, I print the output to a PDF file.

I then use Port Peg to convert the PDF pages to Jpeg files.
I can then get the Jpeg files printed where I like.

As an aside PixCompare will search thru directories and identify similar pictures and rate them as to how similar they are.

Both of these programs were free or very low cost.