PDA

View Full Version : How do you package the hire kit for shipment

DerekW
19th July 2013, 01:18 PM
Why do I ask - because I had to send a lens to the Olympus Hub in Nottingham yesterday and I think that I over packed the lens.

Do you use the box the equipment is supplied in?

What other packaging do you use?

Who do you use for shipping and how much do they charge - unless it is a speciall deall that you have made.

Thanks for any information.

Ian
19th July 2013, 02:37 PM
Hi Derek,

Depending on the item shipped we use double-thickness cardboard boxes sealed up with parcel tape. For padding we bubble wrap and similar lightweight packaging materials. Sometimes, usually camera bodies, the item is sent in its own original box or similar inside the main box. Otherwise, like lenses, we place them inside a standard Olympus pouch or other case.

Ian

DerekW
19th July 2013, 02:55 PM
Thanks - did you consider minimising the box dimensions to reduce shipping costs.
Also how much do you insure the products for shipment or do you have that built into a business insurance that covers all the kit regardless of location.

Also where did you get the double thickness cardboard boxes from.

Ian
19th July 2013, 04:01 PM
You can get double-thickness boxes in various sizes from Staples, and we have on close to use. However, we are thinking of buying bulk online as we get through quite a few boxes now, even though we re-use them 2-3 times depending on condition. Sorry to any of our customers who get a tatty used box - they are just as effective at protecting what's inside :)

Yes we choose a box to suite the size of the item. Our business insurance covers the contents while they are in transit but there are various options for adding insurance if you use the Post Office or Parcel Force, which are our main two shippers.

Ian

DerekW
19th July 2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks

Perhaps a tutorial with pics sometime on how you pack various items eg small lenses, big lenses, cameras both big and small. Use the it as a camera demo !

Thanks again