PDA

View Full Version : Olympus digital ED 300mm F2.8, front protective filter size.

Thomas Westhead
17th July 2013, 09:03 PM
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question does the Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm F2.8 ED telephoto lens accept a front element UV protective filter? and if so what size does it take?

Also any recomendations on which brand to go for?

Many Thanks,

Thomas.

Melaka
17th July 2013, 09:15 PM
It's marked for 112mm. I suspect that in such a size you won't have much choice of manufacturer.

What do yu want it for? If it's for some special effect then go ahead. If it's just for lens protection I shouldn't worry. The lens hood is massive and will protect the lens against anything you may throw at it. The lens also has a soft cover which adds to the protection.

This is one of the few lenses with drop in rear filters. Mine only came with the UV but there are others in the standard kit. It's difficult to see why you might want a front filter.

Thomas Westhead
17th July 2013, 10:04 PM
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply, no special effects just as a Protective skylight for protecting front element on said 300mm F2.8 .

Many Thanks,

Thomas.

David M
17th July 2013, 10:47 PM
If you're going to put a protective filter on you may want to consider fitting 2. Then if the outer one gets damaged you've still got one protecting the lens until you can get a replacement for the damaged one.

Melaka
18th July 2013, 06:53 AM
Hmmmmm!

Actually the main value of a protective filter is to keep dust and dirt off which in turn reduces the risk of lens scratches. They may be more use to folk who don't use a lens hood which itself provides good physical protection.

Thomas Westhead
18th July 2013, 07:08 AM
Hi David,

I know what you mean, though it would not hurt to have a protective filter to protect the front element as this is costly kit and you never know, I would not want to take any risks, do you agree?

Thanks for your time,

Thomas.

OM USer
19th July 2013, 09:37 AM
I've never had a lens this expensive but always use a filter eben though some purists say it degrades the image. Also consider a scratched filter off ebay, take the glass out, and use the ring on its own as a bit of bump protection.

peak4
20th July 2013, 09:28 PM
Thomas, yes it does and is 112mm.
Two warnings worth bearing in mind though. B+W make one, but whilst it is 112mm in diameter, the thread is a different pitch so it won't fit without risk of damage to the lens, filter or both.
Heleopan also do one, and if you're lucky you might be able to track down a second hand one by Tokina which was used on their 300mm F2.8 and supplied as standard with the lens. The latter is a high quality item and personally I couldn't tell and difference in image quality when fitted to the Tokina lens.

This however brings me to the second warning. When I fitted it to the Oly 300mm, it adversely affected the auto focus in quite a big way. Not only that, it's effect was different when each of the teleconverters was fitted. The problems were repeatable, but differed with each combination, sometimes front focus, sometimes back focus, sometimes OK depending on which converter was fitted.

I thought this was a fault with the lens, so after discussion with Olympus, sent the lens + Tokina filter off for them to investigate. In the end, they sent the combination off to Japan for the technicians there to check it out. They confirmed my findings, but said that the lens couldn't be adjusted to compensate for the filter in each of the 6 scenarios (with and without filter on each of bare lens, EC14 & EC2 converters)

The lens focusses fine without the filter fitted, both with and without either converter.

I've no idea why something in front of the lens would alter the AF point, particularly with Phase Detect, causing Front/Back focussing, but it certainly did. And why only with this lens, I've not noticed it with any other lens I own.

Further details in this post
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14248&highlight=300mm (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14248&highlight=300mm)

It does all seem odd to me, particularly when the 90-250mm is supplied with a protective filter as standard.

I did wonder if Contrast AF on the OM-D would compensate for this issue, but AF was all over the place with just the lens on it's own, to the extent of being almost unusable other then in Manual Focus.

David M
20th July 2013, 10:09 PM
I discovered decades ago how badly a protective filter can affect image quality and haven't used one since.

Having used/owned a variety of super telephotos over the years I know how much damage a front element can take without affecting image quality.

peak4
21st July 2013, 03:21 PM
I know exactly what you mean, but I suspect that both the glass and coatings in filters has improved over the years.
I tend to use high quality filters, and can't say I've had any issues other than the one mentioned above, and the occasional possibility of extra flare when pointing into the sun.
They have saved lens damage in the past as Jane never seems to know where the sharp end of her walking poles are pointing.:rolleyes:

Thomas Westhead
28th July 2013, 08:26 PM
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the replys, I managed to get hold of a 112mm UV protective filter for the 300mm F2.8 it is manufactured by HAIDA.

The choice is quite limited though I could probably get hold of a B+W MC UV though the price is very expensive approx 150ish maybe more, so I thought I would give the HAIDA a try though I realise it will not compare to the B+W.

I just don't like to chance getting any serious scratches to the front element.

If any one sees a top quality MC UV such as B+W Please just shoot me a pm.

Many Thanks to All.

Thomas.

David M
28th July 2013, 08:48 PM
A cheap protective filter will probably degrade image quality more than a few scratches or even an inch and a half crack across the edge of the front element.

peak4
28th July 2013, 09:03 PM
Hi Guys,

The choice is quite limited though I could probably get hold of a B+W MC UV though the price is very expensive approx £150ish maybe more
Many Thanks to All.

Thomas.

Thomas, good luck with the one you've got, I hope it doesn't affect the IQ or Auto-Focus too much, though the latter can be compensated for on either the E-5 or E-620.

Double check the B+W before purchasing as I'm pretty sure the pitch of the 112mm thread is different. In fact unless they have changed it recently I'll go as far as saying I'm certain as I've got one; to be fair, I think mine's a skylight filter.

One thing I would consider though is a rigid 112mm lens cap. They don't seem to be available in the UK, though you can get threaded ones from the USA. I can remember Jens Birch buying a cheap 112mm UV filter, throwing the glass away and replacing it with either a plastic or aluminium disk to make a cap. Just beware that the USA ones aren't made of very good metal.

magicaxeman
2nd November 2013, 02:40 PM
Unless your going to be crashing through thick brush,wading into the waves or banging the lens around I wouldn't bother with one, just fit the hood instead as it offers a surprising amount of protection to the front element.

Harold Gough
29th November 2014, 12:53 PM
Unless your going to be crashing through thick brush,wading into the waves or banging the lens around I wouldn't bother with one, just fit the hood instead as it offers a surprising amount of protection to the front element.

Or, do as I did and get a screw-in metal cap. They are rare.

Harold

sapper
29th November 2014, 01:35 PM
Could get one made from a local engineering company?