PDA

View Full Version : E3 & 11-22

Steve Roughley
28th August 2008, 10:46 PM
A bit bland but there was a gap in the cloud for about 2 mins so I took this.
Part way up Great Gable in the English lake district.

http://www.steveroughleyphotography.com/new%20web%20site/images/Gable%20view1.jpg
comments welcome

Steve

Nick Temple-Fry
29th August 2008, 12:06 AM
Very impressive - I've no doubt you've captured the atmosphere of the scene spot on.

Perhaps the combination of shapes in the ground and the very low cloud line slightly 'muddle' the image. Not much you can do about that though.

Except maybe play with HDR and tone curves/mapping. There was a lot of 19'th century art that captured scenes like this with simplified colours.

Great shot - and I'm sure you enjoyed the climb to get it.

Nick

The Judge
29th August 2008, 12:22 AM
You say this is bland? I think many of the photographers here would like to have a collection of bland shots like this. Do not sell yourself short so quickly!

I find it atmospheric and quite uplifting. The clouds give us some dramatic movement whilst the colours in those clouds almost display a battle between good and bad weather. The light is rather nice as well, bottom right upwards diagonal is matched nicely at the top left as is the diagonal the other way. Interested to know what metering setting you used? The foreground has a pleasing interest as well that puts the viewer right there and the composition balances left to right in a very easy experience on the eye.

I would make one change. I would suggest you remove the people and make this a pure landscape shot.

Overall though a winner and a lovely picture. No need for the jury to retire. Well done Mr Roughley.

Jim Ford
29th August 2008, 09:55 AM
A great shot!

Pity that the dappled sunshine in the left middle ground wasn't in the centre - but there wasn't much you could have done about that.

Jim