PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull Soapbox Race

Yat
15th July 2013, 10:26 PM
I spent a great day at Alexandra Palace in London watching soap box racing. There were a lot of crashes until they change the course to reduce accident. The final ramp was turned 180° to reduce the jump angle.

I shot all images using Olympus E-PM2 with 40-150mm IIR lens in C-AF+TR focus mode. I was very surprised to find most of the images were in focus as long as I had the target locked before I started shooting. It did track the moving soap boxes very well. They were traveling at about 30mph by the time they got the the bottom where I was and they were coming at me fast.

Since I took a lot of photos, I decided to make it into a time lapse was the best way to share. The HDR look was done in youtube.

Redbull Soapbox Race London 2013 - YouTube

Falk
16th July 2013, 07:38 AM
That looks like great fun and I've spotted some intersting designs too :)
Not a bad idea with the slide show presentation, but - at least for me, the delay between frames could have been twice or three times as long. Sure, I can stop the video in places but, if seen in one go I find it a little to speedy. Thanks for sharing *chr
Falk

Falk
16th July 2013, 08:12 AM
I need to come right back here, as I just did a 'work around' and downloaded your vid and then watched it at 1/10th speed with VLC-player. Brilliant!!! What a show! You had the perfect location for that deadly ramp :D That thing must have been sponsored by the "Dentists Association"!? Does make a great compilation for teaching children something about physics and inertia too.
I feel a bit guilty though, that I had to laugh so hard sometimes :eek: *super *whack *yes

Yat
16th July 2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks for your feedback. I will edit the vid tonight to increase the duration of each photo.

Yes, the final ramp was deadly. The organiser had to do something after people were landing on their heads, tooth knocked out, broken nose, broken arm and fractured hand. It was funny at the time and we laughed even though people were getting hurt!

Yat
16th July 2013, 07:08 PM
Since youtube do not allow video replacement, I uploaded a new version slow down by 50%.

Red Bull Soapbox Race London 2013 - Time Lapse Slow Version - YouTube

tomphotofx
16th July 2013, 09:55 PM
Absolutely brilliant, I prefer version No2, amazing the wild wacky designs on show and the music soundtrack matched the mood and captured the atmosphere completely very funny too even though there was plenty of spilt blood.

Great stuff.*yes*yes

Tom:)

Phill D
16th July 2013, 10:03 PM
I agree the second version is the best. Brilliant music and time lapse video combination.

Imageryone
16th July 2013, 11:00 PM
No2 for me, had to smile at the invention and admire some of the engineering too, thanks so much for taking the trouble to make this.