PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 50-500 problem

andym
28th August 2008, 06:15 PM
Sorry put this on the end of The Music mans thread about Dunnocks.

Thought I'd start a new one.

Originally Posted by tlove

Unfortunately, my 50-500 has got to go back to Sigma next month . Since my E-3 was replaced, the lens hasn't been performing very well, and I suspect hasn't from new but the problem with my E-3 masked it to a certain extent. However, it is a fantastic lens (if rather heavy, although that may be just me ), and produces some stunning results, as seen here !

Thea

Out of interest what problem does your 50-500 have.Mine seems to have developed a problem that when you try to auto focus at between 400-500mm
at closer that about 25 feet it will rattle back and forth around the point of focus but never quite focus.At distance it seems ok and up to 400mm is seems ok.

Guess mine will be going back to Sigma soon.

Ps any comments from other Bigma owners welcome

j.baker
28th August 2008, 06:37 PM
Q. Was your Bigma a UK or import model?

If it was an import, you may have a problem with Sigma. I contacted them recently about getting my Bigma cleaned, and without it being purchased from a UK supplier and with paper work, they will charge.

andym
28th August 2008, 06:41 PM
John

Got in London at Camera World,so no problem hopefully.

tlove
28th August 2008, 07:08 PM
Sorry to hear you're having problems with yours too Andy .

Mine has always struggled a bit against cloudy/bright skies, producing a significant blue 'fringe' around the object (e.g. bird in flight), which I put down to the lens - not being 'pro' spec - not being able to handle the conditions, plus the images have not always been 'tack sharp' (you can call me picky ). I shoot in RAW and post-shooting processing using Adobe RAW converter doesn't remove the fringing.

Now I have had my wayward E-3 replaced, the problems have become significantly worse. Every picture I take is now 'soft'. The images look blurred, even taken at 1/800 sec (you can see a little blurry halo around the edges of objects, and the image itself is generally soft). This happens at both ends of the zoom spectrum, and all points in between .

I emailed some sample images to Sigma, who confirmed that the images are too soft, and that they need the lens (and camera) to calibrate it and adjust to tolerances. Focussing has never been much of a problem except in poor light conditions, but image quality has.

grumpy69
21st September 2008, 04:58 PM
Reading through your post about sigma lenses would you not recommend just this one or all the sigma range, should I just look for Olympus ??

andym
21st September 2008, 05:49 PM
Reading through your post about sigma lenses would you not recommend just this one or all the sigma range, should I just look for Olympus ??

Hi

There does seem to a bit of a question mark over Sigma's quality control.That said I know a lot of other forum members have Sigma lenses and have no problems.
Its also a question of what you can get for the price.I would have liked to have got the Olympus 300mm but at about 4000.00 its not an option.The 50-500 is the only semi affordable lens at that focal length.
My lens is optically very good and I have got some very good results with it.I have had the problem for a while but have been using it focusing manually.

My lens is with Sigma at the moment and with a bit of luck will be back the week after next.

tlove
21st September 2008, 06:02 PM

I know this probably sounds daft, but even though there are a few of us Olympus Bigma owners with a problem lens, there are an awful lot more out there who have had absolutely no problems with theirs.

The Bigma is a cracking lens, capable of producing very sharp images, such as this one (one of my early ones with the lens):
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/506/AmericanBaldEagle.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5105)
so don't be put off by problems suffered by the few. Even though I have a problem with mine at the moment, don't let it put you off getting one.

Just make sure you don't get an import :D!

Andy - glad to see you've managed to get yours there at last. Let's see who gets theirs back first :D:D!

andym
21st September 2008, 06:07 PM
Andy - glad to see you've managed to get yours there at last. Let's see who gets theirs back first :D:D!

Thea

They have had it for just over a week now.I am out of the country next week.
They told me they were running at about 2-3 week with repairs when I dropped it in with them.

Let us know when you get yours back and what they have done.

theMusicMan
21st September 2008, 07:16 PM
I agree with Thea in that the Bigma is quite capable of producing some stunningly sharp images given the right conditions (i.e. that you can expect of such a non pro level lens).

Here's two of mine:

Peregrine:
http://www.reflectingme.com/img/v0/p76710766-4.jpg

Blue Tit:
http://www.reflectingme.com/img/v3/p775779225-4.jpg

grumpy69
23rd September 2008, 04:41 PM
My local camera shop say sigma go up to a 800 wow. Thanks guys for the advise. *chr

tlove
23rd September 2008, 07:07 PM
My local camera shop say sigma go up to a 800 wow.

They sure do - and I'm sure your local supplier would be more than happy to see you if you've got £4000 going spare for one :D:D!

I think I'll stick to my 50-500mm for now thanks :D

andym
10th October 2008, 08:39 AM
Just an update.

I was told by Sigma early this week that they had the spare part in stock now and would fit it and my lens should be ready by last Wednesday.
As I herd nothing I have just phoned them today to be told that they fitted a new focus motor and what they called a match circuit???
They then went on to tell me that the match cct failed and they have ordered another one from abroad and this should be with them early next week.:mad:
What this match cct does I do not know.I can only assume that its some kind of impedance matching between the body and the lens.

Will keep you updated.

tlove
10th October 2008, 04:23 PM
Just an update.

I was told by Sigma early this week that they had the spare part in stock now and would fit it and my lens should be ready by last Wednesday.
As I herd nothing I have just phoned them today to be told that they fitted a new focus motor and what they called a match circuit???
They then went on to tell me that the match cct failed and they have ordered another one from abroad and this should be with them early next week.:mad:
What this match cct does I do not know.I can only assume that its some kind of impedance matching between the body and the lens.

Will keep you updated.

Sorry to hear that Andy :(. My other half phoned up to enquire about mine today - apparently it has a faulty chip (!). They ordered one (probably came on the same plane as your bit :D), have now fitted it and will calibrate it all next Monday/Tuesday. They hope to ship it back to me next week (approx. mid week). We'll wait and see.......

tlove
20th October 2008, 06:33 PM
Just an update.

Will keep you updated.

Hi Andy - have you got yours back yet?

Still haven't got mine back :mad:

We were told mine had a faulty chip - that was three chips ago (up to last Friday).

My other half is going to phone them tomorrow, and if still no joy getting a bit that works he'll be demanding a replacement lens.

They've had it (and my E-3 - getting cross now :mad:) since 15 September, so I think we've given them more than a fair time to sort it now.

I'll keep you posted.

andym
20th October 2008, 06:40 PM
Hi Thea

I phoned last Friday and was told that they had the spare part and it was on the priority list for early this week. Now I'll believe this if I get the phone call.
I'll give them a couple more days.
Sounds like a good strategy to demand a new one.May have to try this myself.
Keep an eye on your serial number you may end up with mine and I yours.

Must be more frustrating for you as they have the E3 also.

Keep us updated.

tlove
20th October 2008, 07:03 PM
Interesting Andy:

Just spoken to my other half, who said that he was told by Sigma that the 'bit' in question that keeps failing on my 50-500 is......

.... the match circuit!

Do I detect a bit of a trend here?? :rolleyes:

andym
20th October 2008, 07:20 PM
Hmm

Interesting.We both have different problems but they are blaming the same thing.

tlove
22nd October 2008, 05:38 PM
This just gets better and better :rolleyes::(

Husband phoned yesterday - the engineer was on leave :rolleyes:

So, engineer phoned my other half today - the problem is connected to the match circuit. He (engineer) said that there is a chip/software problem causing an incompatibility issue with Sigma lenses and the E-3. He has been in contact with Sigma in Japan about it, but due to time differences etc. he is still waiting to see what they say. The implication is that this is a known problem with the Sigma 50-500mm and the E-3.

Husband said that can't be so because lots of people use Sigma lenses with their E-3s without any problems (like John 'The Music Man'?). Engineer couldn't answer that one, but Sigma aren't interested in a replacement at the moment, quoting the story that all 4/3 fit Bigmas are affected (and they can't work out why).

So don't hold your breath for getting yours back just yet Andy - now tell me you've got it back :D:D!

Ian - as a matter of interest, have you heard about this problem?

Ian
22nd October 2008, 05:50 PM
This just gets better and better :rolleyes::(

Husband phoned yesterday - the engineer was on leave :rolleyes:

So, engineer phoned my other half today - the problem is connected to the match circuit. He (engineer) said that there is a chip/software problem causing an incompatibility issue with Sigma lenses and the E-3. He has been in contact with Sigma in Japan about it, but due to time differences etc. he is still waiting to see what they say. The implication is that this is a known problem with the Sigma 50-500mm and the E-3.

Husband said that can't be so because lots of people use Sigma lenses with their E-3s without any problems (like John 'The Music Man'?). Engineer couldn't answer that one, but Sigma aren't interested in a replacement at the moment, quoting the story that all 4/3 fit Bigmas are affected (and they can't work out why).

So don't hold your breath for getting yours back just yet Andy - now tell me you've got it back :D:D!

First I have heard - but I am going to contact Sigma UK tomorrow for clarification. I have used a couple of 50-500s on my E-3 with good results.

Ian

andym
22nd October 2008, 05:59 PM

Hi Thea

Nothing yet.

Been a bit busy at work today.

I will give them a call tomorrow and see if I get the same answer.:(

Also interested to see what Ian gets out of them.

Seems like we might have opened a can of worms here.

tlove
22nd October 2008, 06:41 PM
Seems like we might have opened a can of worms here.

In a strange way Andy, I sincerely hope so, because over a month to look at the lens - particularly when they promise a turnaround time of 2-3 weeks - is way beyond a joke (for me anyway, and my poor husband - it's him getting the runaround from Sigma ;))

andym
22nd October 2008, 07:13 PM

[/B]

Just got my brain in gear.When I first had my problem I tried the lens on my E1 and had the same problem.
So I dont think it can be a problem interfacing with the E3.

Ian
23rd October 2008, 11:14 AM
Q. Was your Bigma a UK or import model?

If it was an import, you may have a problem with Sigma. I contacted them recently about getting my Bigma cleaned, and without it being purchased from a UK supplier and with paper work, they will charge.

I have sought clarification from Sigma UK about this. The answer is fairly clear:

If a lens needs to be modified and it is under its 12 month warranty, the upgrade is free. If it is an official UK import but outside of warranty, it's just 5 to cover return postage. If it's not a UK import and VAT & duty have not been paid on importation into the EU, it's 33.99.

Ian

Ian
23rd October 2008, 11:16 AM
First I have heard - but I am going to contact Sigma UK tomorrow for clarification. I have used a couple of 50-500s on my E-3 with good results.

Ian

I have contacted Sigma and it seems that the facts have become a bit distorted in translation. As we know, many other 50-500 users with E-3s (and other E-System models) have experienced no problems. Sigma UK has not experienced this problem before, but further investigation indicates that some very early examples of the 50-500 could exhibit a problem and would need a modification to effect a cure. We have many anecdotes here where Sigma engineers have been extremely helpful, so I was certainly surprised to hear of a sense of dissatisfaction in this case. I can assure you that Sigma UK and the engineer referred to in this thread are very keen to resolve this problem.

Ian

j.baker
23rd October 2008, 11:29 AM
How can we find out if our 50-500mm Bigma may be affected?

Is there a serial number range?

tlove
23rd October 2008, 06:13 PM
I have contacted Sigma and it seems that the facts have become a bit distorted in translation. As we know, many other 50-500 users with E-3s (and other E-System models) have experienced no problems. Sigma UK has not experienced this problem before, but further investigation indicates that some very early examples of the 50-500 could exhibit a problem and would need a modification to effect a cure. We have many anecdotes here where Sigma engineers have been extremely helpful, so I was certainly surprised to hear of a sense of dissatisfaction in this case. I can assure you that Sigma UK and the engineer referred to in this thread are very keen to resolve this problem.

Ian

Sorry Ian - it wasn't my intention to have a go at Sigma. I have heard nothing but good things about how good their service is, so I was confident about sending my camera and lens to them for what seemed to be a 'quick fix' to the problem of the lens' focus being too soft.

What is difficult for me personally to deal with is once we can actually get through to speak to someone (they do have a habit of picking up the receiver and putting it straight back down again), we have been told 'we're just waiting for a part, then we'll calibrate it and send it back to you next week' every week for the last few weeks.

They don't appear to have been totally up front about what the problem was and maybe they weren't aware of this issue, but it was only on Tuesday this week that my husband managed to speak to the engineer responsible - who was very helpful in explaining the situation, and is indeed doing all he can to get the problem sorted.

However, as I seem to be one of the ones landed with an earlier model :rolleyes:, and it obviously requires this modification, it seems that I will still be without the E-3 as well as the lens somewhat indefinitely (they can't say how long this will take). I could have had the camera couriered back to me - they were more than happy to do this - but they still need it to calibrate the lens when it is sorted. Catch 22 I think they call this :D!

Sorry to sound off folks, but I've had a bit of a year so far with camera gear one way or another - I think I'll give it all up and take up lion taming or something :D

Ian
23rd October 2008, 07:19 PM
How can we find out if our 50-500mm Bigma may be affected?

Is there a serial number range?

I have asked, but they are still researching the issue.

Ian

Ian
23rd October 2008, 07:20 PM
Sorry Ian - it wasn't my intention to have a go at Sigma. I have heard nothing but good things about how good their service is, so I was confident about sending my camera and lens to them for what seemed to be a 'quick fix' to the problem of the lens' focus being too soft.

What is difficult for me personally to deal with is once we can actually get through to speak to someone (they do have a habit of picking up the receiver and putting it straight back down again), we have been told 'we're just waiting for a part, then we'll calibrate it and send it back to you next week' every week for the last few weeks.

They don't appear to have been totally up front about what the problem was and maybe they weren't aware of this issue, but it was only on Tuesday this week that my husband managed to speak to the engineer responsible - who was very helpful in explaining the situation, and is indeed doing all he can to get the problem sorted.

However, as I seem to be one of the ones landed with an earlier model :rolleyes:, and it obviously requires this modification, it seems that I will still be without the E-3 as well as the lens somewhat indefinitely (they can't say how long this will take). I could have had the camera couriered back to me - they were more than happy to do this - but they still need it to calibrate the lens when it is sorted. Catch 22 I think they call this :D!

Sorry to sound off folks, but I've had a bit of a year so far with camera gear one way or another - I think I'll give it all up and take up lion taming or something :D

Thea, I can lend you a camera for Saturday?

Ian

andym
23rd October 2008, 07:29 PM
Well here we go about Sigma customer focus.

I phoned the at 09:30 this morning and was told that they could not locate the tech that was dealing with my lens.
I was told they would call me back and quoted my mobile number to me.(so they cannot tell me the number is wrong).
No call.
Suppose I'll have to try again tomorrow.

tlove
23rd October 2008, 07:34 PM
Thea, I can lend you a camera for Saturday?

Ian

Thanks for the offer Ian - I do have a camera I can use Saturday (As I don't seem to have had my beloved E-3 much this summer, I recently bought an E-1 as a backup camera :D)

andym
24th October 2008, 09:05 AM
Just called them again.

I was told the repair was finished yesterday and the lens was shipped to me yesterday even though I told them I would pick it up.:confused:

See how it is when I get it back.*yes

tlove
24th October 2008, 05:56 PM
You lucky boy Andy!

At least one of us has got some 'closure' ;)

My other half tried to get a progress update today - they weren't answering the phone :rolleyes:

I hope we can see some pics with your rejuvinated Bigma very soon!

andym
27th October 2008, 05:12 PM
Got it back today.Gave it a quick go in the fading light and all seems ok.

Will lug it to works tomorrow and give a full test.

Any news Thea??

tlove
27th October 2008, 05:14 PM
No Andy - nothing yet :(:(:(

tlove
28th October 2008, 06:38 PM
How's it going with the lens Andy?

I've heard today that my camera will be back with me on Friday :):):)!

I don't know what my husband said to them, but they are apparently (according to him) replacing the lens.

Worryingly, they have said that they tried out my camera with an Olympus lens they have, and have 'noticed' that there seems to be some focus problems at the edge of the image. They recommend I get the camera checked out when I get it back.

I don't think I can take any more - that's a brand new camera, which I've hardly used :(:(! We'll see when I get it all back - but at least it is on it's way, then I can see for myself. I'm not convinced by this, but need to see it for myself.

andym
28th October 2008, 07:13 PM
How's it going with the lens Andy?

I've heard today that my camera will be back with me on Friday :):):)!

I don't know what my husband said to them, but they are apparently (according to him) replacing the lens.

Hi Thea

I did not take the lens out today as I had a meeting to go to this afternoon and did not want to lug it across London.
I have in the bag with the E3 ready for tomorrow.

Good news you will finally get yous back,be interested to see if it a new lens.I did check the serial number in case they had sent me yours instead.Anything is possible.
Sigma put the the wrong post code on mine hence why it took UPS an extra day to find me.
Strange what they said about the camera,I suppose the other lens could have been mine.
Dont worry about it until you have tested it yourself.

I'll do a test tomorrow lunch time weather permiting and try and get out over the weekend for some proper shots.

tlove
3rd November 2008, 06:02 PM
Hello Andy

Got my (replacement) lens and camera back today (tonight actually :rolleyes:).

Doubt if I'll be able to have a proper test of it all just yet (short days, rain and more rain if you see what I mean), but I'll post some pics when I do.

Let's hope it's the end of the Sigma saga!

andym
3rd November 2008, 06:54 PM
Hello Andy

Got my (replacement) lens and camera back today (tonight actually :rolleyes:).

Doubt if I'll be able to have a proper test of it all just yet (short days, rain and more rain if you see what I mean), but I'll post some pics when I do.

Let's hope it's the end of the Sigma saga!

Hi Thea

Glad you've got it even though its a new one.

Yes the weather forcast looks dull and overcast all week:(

Looking forward to seeing some results when you do get out.

It must have been hard not having the E3 as well but its given you time to play with the E1*yes

Lets hope we can now close this thread.