PDA

View Full Version : Expressions...

Graham_of_Rainham
27th August 2008, 01:49 PM
Katie is an actress as well as a model, so I asked her for some expressions...

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Katie_Jane.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7829)

This was one of the few where she did not have a smile or was laughing.
I think it was when I asked her to imagin someone had taken her favorite chocolate from the box:(

She is so talented.

As always, your thoughts and comments, please

*chr

DekHog
27th August 2008, 07:22 PM
Technically very good, but I looked at it for ages as something didn't look right to me... I eventually twigged what it was, and this is only a personal opinion. For me the facial expression doesn't fit with the high-key, soft focus look. I think it would have been great as a dark and brooding type portrait had the lighting allowed it.

Remind me never to take her fav choccy from the box; she looks damn evil!

gno
27th August 2008, 07:29 PM
That I like Graham,

Did you use layers to keep the eyes and nose area sharp and still have the soft focus on the hair and neck?

Personally I much prefer Katie in colour, those brown eyes get lost in mono, can we see the colour version?

Regards

Gavin

Graham_of_Rainham
27th August 2008, 09:57 PM
Did you use layers to keep the eyes and nose area sharp and still have the soft focus on the hair and neck?

Personally I much prefer Katie in colour, those brown eyes get lost in mono, can we see the colour version?

Gavin

Gavin,

I used CS2 for all the retouching, background distraction removal, rotation, crop, etc., etc., but all done in the background (no layers). Having saved it, I then reopen it in Picassa, which has the most simple soft focus and filtered B&W conversion tools I've ever found.

While Katie in colour is beautiful, this one was taken on a very dull day and the RAW file has a very poor tonal range so I don't think she would thank me for showing her off "in a poor light" :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comment

*chr

ScubaRoy
27th August 2008, 09:58 PM
I've spent a lot of time looking at this as I couldn't quite work out why it doesn't engage me as much as it should.

I'm not overly keen on the soft focus but I think that the problem for me is that the composition is too central and square. I think a more radical crop would make a better composition. I've tried a closer crop and rotated it anti-clockwise slightly and it works better for me.

I'm also not too sure that it was the "you've nicked my last chocolate" expression - my other half would look considerably more venomous than that :eek: Maybe that could also be part of the problem - the description not quite fitting the look.

The above not withstanding it's a very good day when I get a picture anything as good as the original.

Hopefully this is constructive.

Roy

Graham_of_Rainham
27th August 2008, 10:23 PM
I've spent a lot of time looking at this as I couldn't quite work out why it doesn't engage me as much as it should.

I'm not overly keen on the soft focus but I think that the problem for me is that the composition is too central and square. I think a more radical crop would make a better composition. I've tried a closer crop and rotated it anti-clockwise slightly and it works better for me.

I'm also not too sure that it was the "you've nicked my last chocolate" expression - my other half would look considerably more venomous than that :eek: Maybe that could also be part of the problem - the description not quite fitting the look.

The above not withstanding it's a very good day when I get a picture anything as good as the original.

Hopefully this is constructive.

Roy

Roy,

Comments such as yours are very welcome and I would say quite perceptive. When we were doing this "expressions" bit, it was just after lunch and I wanted to give her time to relax a bit as she had worked really hard in the morning. I often ask models to pull faces for me and will ask them to "show me sad, sly, coy, moody, etc." I will ask them about things they like, hate, fear, etc., all to see, and capture, the vast array of expressions that the face reveals. This may well not have been "what sod ate my best choc" expression but it's one I often use as it really seems to work well.

What is it with women & chocolate :D (Bet I'll get shot down for that)

With regard to the crop and rotation, again you may well be right, I try many compositions out before I hit the save button, but on this occasion I wanted something a little different from my fairly "angled eyes" approach that I do use quite a lot in competitions and becomes "recognisable"

This one will be entered tomorrow, so it will be interesting to compare the judges comments with what has been said here.

Thanks

ScubaRoy
27th August 2008, 10:31 PM
...I wanted something a little different from my fairly "angled eyes" approach that I do use quite a lot in competitions and becomes "recognisable"

LOL- well the "angled eyes approach" is exactly how I cropped it when playing with the image. I think it is that I am still new to this so am probably more at the copying stage than being originally creative.

Best of luck in the competition - please let us know how you get on.

Roy

The Judge
28th August 2008, 10:36 AM
She is clearly a lovely looking lady and the look on her face is totally at odds with the style of the image. There is far too much "neck" area as well which makes the whole composition look skewed. I do not think you have done the subject many favours here and no amount of clever tricks in Photoshop can rescue this one.

Graham_of_Rainham
28th August 2008, 01:16 PM
She is clearly a lovely looking lady and the look on her face is totally at odds with the style of the image. There is far too much "neck" area as well which makes the whole composition look skewed. I do not think you have done the subject many favours here and no amount of clever tricks in Photoshop can rescue this one.

Oh! Your back. Perhaps now you can post some of your own work.

theMusicMan
28th August 2008, 05:10 PM
UserCP > (in left hand menu) Buddies and Ignore Lists > Ignore Lists

It really does work Graham... :)

Rod Souter
28th August 2008, 06:32 PM

Provided nobody quotes the troll:D

Rod

Graham_of_Rainham
28th August 2008, 10:34 PM
Best of luck in the competition - please let us know how you get on.

Roy

Roy,

I was really surprised how close the comments of the EAP competition judge came to your own and some others. It would seem that everyone prefers my smiley shots of Katie :)

It came 4th which isn't too bad, except that one of my others that I liked less came 2nd. *ohwell

Regards

Graham_of_Rainham
28th August 2008, 10:40 PM

John & Rod,

I did that but curiosity got the better of me and I switch it off :o

I guess looking for the best in people, can sometimes lead to dissapointment.

*chr

The Judge
29th August 2008, 12:37 AM
John & Rod,

I did that but curiosity got the better of me and I switch it off :o

I guess looking for the best in people, can sometimes lead to dissapointment.

*chr

Well I certainly did not mean to offend you or anyone for that matter. I do have a direct style that often cuts to the chase and I spend my days saying what I mean. I do acknowledge that you are in fact a very good photographer and have seen evidence of this in your other work.

gno
29th August 2008, 06:22 PM
It came 4th which isn't too bad, except that one of my others that I liked less came 2nd. *ohwell

Regards

Don't leave us in suspense Graham, what came 2nd?

Regards

Gavin

Graham_of_Rainham
29th August 2008, 09:27 PM
Don't leave us in suspense Graham, what came 2nd?

Regards

Gavin

Gavin,

As you have asked :o

There is just no accounting for taste. I put this one in purely as an example of the use of ultra wide angle (7-14mm) and it got better comments and a higher placement.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/B_W_FoodCourt.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7854)

*chr

ScubaRoy
29th August 2008, 11:04 PM
Roy,

I was really surprised how close the comments of the EAP competition judge came to your own and some others. It would seem that everyone prefers my smiley shots of Katie :)

Regards

2nd *and* 4th is not a bad result is it??

gno
30th August 2008, 06:58 PM
Hi Graham,

As you know I'm not a great fan of B&W but I can see perhaps why it was seen in a better light than the "Katie" shot, and I do like it.
There is a lot more to comment on in the symetrical shot of the mall and it does make the eye look through the image.
Are the winning and 3rd place shots anywhere online to see, I would be interested to see the winning shot.

Regards

Gavin

Graham_of_Rainham
30th August 2008, 08:32 PM
Gavin,

Sorry they are not available.

The club I belong to has lots of competitions each year both internal & external with as many as 130 pictures being exhibited on a competition evening. We don't place these on our website, but we do have a very limited selection on it. The web site is quite new and still being developed but one of the pages shows our latest exhibition which has just closed.

The link below will give you some idea of our societies work and the range styles that we produce. Most is done in colour but there are still a good 35% of us entering B&W images (we still do slides as well)

http://www.barkingphotographicsociety.co.uk/page8.html

Thanks for looking and taking the interest, I hope you like what you see

B.P.S Studios
31st August 2008, 10:41 PM
Hi Graham,

I think a tighter crop would help the whole pose and head position. But the main thing for me is the eyes, they are too dark. You need stronger catchlights in the eyes to bring them to life. This would make all the difference to this image.

Graham_of_Rainham
1st September 2008, 12:11 PM
Hi Graham,

I think a tighter crop would help the whole pose and head position. But the main thing for me is the eyes, they are too dark. You need stronger catchlights in the eyes to bring them to life. This would make all the difference to this image.

You have a really good eye and I agree with you. This was taken outside on a dull day and rather than attaching the FL-50, defuser, etc.. I simply used the pop-up (turned right down) to throw just a little bit of light up into the shadows. As you have correctly spotted the pop-up gives a very small highlight and there is not enough overall light to bring out the detail in the eyes.

As always I really appreciate comments that are this perceptive.

Thanks