PDA

View Full Version : Olympus event - Giffords Circus, Frampton-upon-Severn on Friday 2nd August 2013

Ian
8th July 2013, 08:45 AM
Olympus photographic experience at the Circus

Southend-on-Sea, 08 July 2013 – Olympus UK are hosting a spectacular photographic experience at the Giffords Circus, Frampton-upon-Severn on Friday 2nd August 2013.

50 photography enthusiasts will have the chance to win a pair of free tickets to take part in this exclusive and rare opportunity to photograph amazing Circus performers under the big top, and capture all the excitement.

Olympus principal photographer and educator, Damian McGillicuddy will be on hand to demonstrate techniques on how best to capture the performers and colourful backdrops.

Guests will be able to get hands-on with the latest stunning cameras and lenses from Olympus, including the newly launched PEN EP-5 and photograph the performers in an exclusive photo-friendly performance.

The Giffords Circus and their spectacular painted wagons will be pitched in the beautiful Cotswold village of Frampton-upon-Severn, which is said to have the longest village green in England, and is 22 acres in size.

Every visitor will also be treated to a “mug of tea and a big slice of cake” and will be able to enter an exciting photographic competition to win a fabulous PEN EP-5 camera, the winner will be announced after the event.

Tickets to the event are free, but there are only 50 pairs available. These can be won by entering at www.olympusmag.co.uk//circus. The closing date is 21st July.

- Ends -

Zuiko
8th July 2013, 09:04 AM
Ooooh, now this really appeals to me. Shame it's during school holidays as it would mean leaving Debbie without the car for the day (during term time she would be at work) and she won't be best pleased! I'll have to sweet-talk her when she gets home. I expect there will be a huge demand for this, so getting tickets probably won't be easy anyway.

Zuiko
8th July 2013, 09:10 AM
A one in a hundred chance of winning an E-P5 is pretty good odds! :D

Zuiko
8th July 2013, 01:01 PM
Well, I've done the difficult bit, negotiated permission from Debbie should I get tickets, and I've applied. Anyone else applying? :)

Anne
15th July 2013, 07:19 PM
I applied a few days ago :)

shirley
15th July 2013, 08:18 PM
Me too, it would be fun to get tickets, I wonder how much interest there is.

joglos
17th July 2013, 09:36 AM
I applied a few days ago also.

Would love to have done the wildlife shoot next week, but due to the weather being so hot, I cant as nowhere to leave my dog :(

Zuiko
23rd July 2013, 04:09 PM
Has anybody heard if they have won tickets yet?

The Technician
23rd July 2013, 04:18 PM
I have not heard anything yet!

Zuiko
23rd July 2013, 05:11 PM
I have not heard anything yet!

I should think we will hear soon, if we have been successful. It would be a shame if nobody from the forum got to go; even just one representative would enable us all to share the experience through their pictures. :)

joglos
24th July 2013, 07:40 AM
No I haven't heard anything yet either :(

joglos
24th July 2013, 09:59 AM
Change to my last post, just had an envelope arrive telling me I have won :) to say over the moon is an understatement, I hope more off here are lucky too and we can put faces to names on the day

davidfarquhar
24th July 2013, 10:59 AM
Yay, just got mine. Need to work out how to get there now, only an hour from work so I might be able to squeeze it into a longish day without taking any holiday

Andel
24th July 2013, 11:16 AM
Got my ticket today too, looking forward to putting faces to names

Anne
24th July 2013, 01:25 PM
I received a ticket too :)

Good to see so many from the Forum being lucky!

cariadus
24th July 2013, 02:29 PM
And me! It'll be like an E-Group outing. :)

Zuiko
24th July 2013, 05:22 PM
I just opened my envelope and I'm going too! It certainly will be like an E-Group Meeting and a great opportunity to meet some more members in person!

The times of the event are from 12.00 to 2.30pm and I suspect it will be a fairly intensive two and a half hours. Does any one fancy meeting for a chat and a coffee either before or after the event?

Tickets include admission for a friend, if any one is unsuccessful in getting a ticket they are welcome to come as my guest.

PS There will be cameras and lenses to try, so hands off the 75mm f1.8 - it's mine! :p:D

cariadus
24th July 2013, 06:00 PM
Does any one fancy meeting for a chat and a coffee either before or after the event?

Yes, I would definitely be up for a chat and coffee.

PS There will be cameras and lenses to try, so hands off the 75mm f1.8 - it's mine! :p:D

Not if I get there first. :)

Zuiko
24th July 2013, 06:32 PM
Not if I get there first. :)

Won't you be shooting Tri-X on 2¼ square? :D

Zuiko
24th July 2013, 06:49 PM
Yes, I would definitely be up for a chat and coffee.

Great, how about 10.30 at The Stables cafe at Saul? http://www.thestablescafe.co.uk/index.html It's situated beside the canal less than a mile from our venue, if we leave at 11.30 we should be in good time. :)

Anyone else up for this?

After the event we can reconvene in "The Bell" or go take some photos!

joglos
24th July 2013, 07:54 PM
I can recommend the café :) and some lovely walks along the canal and onto the path that runs to Slimbridge.

It will be great to put names to faces

shirley
24th July 2013, 08:08 PM
Ooh how exciting, I too have tickets. I am certainly up for a meet at the cafe beforehand.

Zuiko
24th July 2013, 08:20 PM
...I too have tickets.

Bang goes my chance of winning the camera. :(

Only joking, Shirley, it will be great to see you again. :)

Zuiko
24th July 2013, 08:21 PM
I can recommend the café :) and some lovely walks along the canal and onto the path that runs to Slimbridge.

It will be great to put names to faces

Ah, some local knowledge - looking forward to meeting you. :)

shirley
24th July 2013, 08:50 PM
Bang goes my chance of winning the camera. :(

Only joking, Shirley, it will be great to see you again. :)

Yeah right!! :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to meeting you again John, it's been ages since we met up, I think it was at your exhibition last time, I have the photo I bought then on my wall in the hall.

davidfarquhar
24th July 2013, 09:28 PM
Will there be OM-Ds available to try out? I've always felt mine underexposed a bit and would love to have a side by side comparison of one, since I've never seen another one in the real world despite looking hard for 18 months

Zuiko
24th July 2013, 09:43 PM
Will there be OM-Ds available to try out? I've always felt mine underexposed a bit and would love to have a side by side comparison of one, since I've never seen another one in the real world despite looking hard for 18 months

I don't know what Olympus are bringing but mine will certainly be there! :D

cariadus
24th July 2013, 09:49 PM
Won't you be shooting Tri-X on 2¼ square? :D

Haha, I think I'll leave the film cameras at home that day - or at least in the car.

Great, how about 10.30 at The Stables cafe at Saul? http://www.thestablescafe.co.uk/index.html It's situated beside the canal less than a mile from our venue, if we leave at 11.30 we should be in good time. :)

Sounds good to me!

After the event we can reconvene in "The Bell" or go take some photos!

And that too!

Zuiko
24th July 2013, 09:49 PM
Yeah right!! :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to meeting you again John, it's been ages since we met up, I think it was at your exhibition last time, I have the photo I bought then on my wall in the hall.

I think the last time we met was at my exhibition. I find it more than a little flattering that you have one of my pictures on your wall! :)

Anne
24th July 2013, 09:59 PM
I'm not sure if I can get to the cafe for 10.30am. If not, hopefully I will still get to meet Forum members at the Circus.

gazza95
27th July 2013, 09:32 PM
and another one who had nice surprise when they got home. Looking forward to meeting other forum members and fighting over equipment.

Gary

Zuiko
27th July 2013, 11:19 PM
and another one who had nice surprise when they got home. Looking forward to meeting other forum members and fighting over equipment.

Gary

Nah, I've heard that there will be enough 75mm f1.8 lenses for one each and we can take them home afterwards! :D

Looking forward to meeting you, Gary. Will you be joining us for coffee at "The Stables" before the event?

gazza95
28th July 2013, 07:56 AM
John, yes I plan to The Stables head first and meet folks.

Gary

Zuiko
28th July 2013, 08:50 AM
John, yes I plan to The Stables head first and meet folks.

Gary

Great. *chr

joglos
31st July 2013, 12:48 PM
For those that might need camera purchases etc , Clifton Cameras is literally just up the road

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/

Zuiko
31st July 2013, 12:53 PM
For those that might need camera purchases etc , Clifton Cameras is literally just up the road

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/

Noooooooooooo!! :eek:

I did not need to know that! I shall throw my credit cards in the canal the minute I arrive! :D

Anne
1st August 2013, 07:14 PM
Throw them in my direction....I will keep them safe for you :D !

Zuiko
1st August 2013, 07:47 PM
Throw them in my direction....I will keep them safe for you :D !

You've just given me an idea, Anne! I could max my cards on new lenses then tell my wife the cards were stolen.......:D:D:D

Anne
1st August 2013, 08:15 PM
That sounds good to me....I'm sure she will have no trouble believing you as you will be with 99 other potential Olympus lens buyers! Just order one for me please :)

I'm very good at hiding new stuff....I could always give you tips!

Zuiko
1st August 2013, 08:21 PM
That sounds good to me....I'm sure she will have no trouble believing you as you will be with 99 other potential Olympus lens buyers! Just order one for me please :)

I'm very good at hiding new stuff....I could always give you tips!

Unfortunately Debbie is very good at finding stuff and I'm the world's worst (as in useless) liar! :eek:

Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else tomorrow, Anne. :)

PeterBirder
1st August 2013, 08:53 PM
Hi John.

I hope you and the rest of the group members have a great day tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing some very different shots, I don't recall seeing any Circus shots on here before.

I don't envy you for the early start and the trip round the M25, hope the weather is kind.

Regards.*chr

cariadus
1st August 2013, 09:13 PM
Looking forward to it. See you all tomorrow 10.30 at the Stables. At least we get a relative lie-in compared to most of you!

Giffords looks fantastic, don't know why I haven't come across them before...

Giffords Circus - The Saturday Book 2012 promo video - YouTube

shirley
1st August 2013, 09:29 PM
Yes I am also looking forward to the day. I am staying at minchinghampton common so I get a lie in and breakfast cooked for me!!! See you all tomorrow.

Anne
2nd August 2013, 07:34 PM
Well I don't know about everyone else but i had a fantastic time today. i think Olympus put on a great event, one that was unusual but really enjoyable, so all credit to them and Gifford's Circus.

Before going up I decided the prize of a camera should have my name on it :D
During the afternoon I began to have doubts :(
On looking at my photos tonight I knew for sure it didn't :) ....I'm not sure my motion (read blurred) photos were quite what they had in mind!

Personally I didn't think taking photos at a circus would be quite so hard, at least to get reasonable results. Even though I Googled taking photos at a circus beforehand, most of it went out of the window today and I think I will be deleting about 90% of them :) That said, it really was great fun and i learnt lots. I do like Damian McG, he is very funny and although he pretends to be full of himself, he isn't arrogant and he genuinely wants to impart his knowledge. If I have any feedback from today, it would be that it would have been useful to have a few minutes beforehand to go over camera settings that would help to get the most out of the day. That said, I will learn from the experience and try something different next time...mostly to move around a lot more!

I'm definitely going to go on another Olympus photo day though. Oh and one of the team kind of talked me out of the 9-18mm in favour of the 12mm! That really wasn't what I wanted to hear :D Now i am confused......

Phill D
2nd August 2013, 08:21 PM
I'll second that I had a brilliant day out too. Great venue excellent company and very talented performers, shame about my photos!!!. As a lesson in how to forget all the photographic principles in one go then it worked. I think I've managed to tick all the no-no boxes with these shots...oof, shaky blurred , cut off heads feet and other bits :(
I think my editing skills will need to improve a lot to get three shots to enter in the competition. Anyway who cares it was a great experience and I did manage to confirm I need a new camera. And have some real proof now too for the management, clear clean iso 5000 shots Shirley that's just not fair :) It was lovely to put names and faces to some of the friends I've made on here, hope everyone got back OK. I got snarled up in the M5 traffic myself but I'm sure that's nothing to the horrors that awaited those of you who had to use the M25. Sounded pretty awful from what I heard on the radio. I really felt for you John after hearing of your 5 hour trip on the way there. So back to sorting through the shots. Maybe I'll post a few later we did say we needed a fuzzy abstract thread didn't we ;)

Anne
2nd August 2013, 08:32 PM
I forgot to mention how nice it was to meet some of the Forum members! We actually had a pretty good run home; slower than the journey up but to be fair, it was slap bang in the middle of the rush hour by the time we got towards the London end of the M4/m25.

Fab day, both of us enjoyed it. As for posting photos....the only reasonable ones will fall in the close up category :)

joglos
5th August 2013, 12:44 PM
At last after a frantic few days, time to post :). All I can say is a huge thank you to Olympus , Giffords Circus and all involved with staging the event. Completely out of all comfort zones re Photography, but it was great. I was disappointed I didn't get a chance to try the OM-d, had hoped to try after the event, but that was my fault for not rushing down in time when they said you could borrow!! I also missed the café meet up :( had to wait for my friend to be ready and she was going on the 12oclock timing lol.

Please please Olympus hope you have received great feedback and will be planning another. My only thoughts would be have an easy accesable area with Kit that we can handle and ask questions after the event. I was lucky enough that the person parked next to me let me have a feel of his Camera and I must admit it I think with a grip it would be a poss :)

Re Photos, I will post a few for your thoughts but I wont be winning any camera