PDA

View Full Version : focus box size on EM-5

Kiwi Paul
3rd July 2013, 10:43 PM
I've not found any options in the menus to change the size of the focus box.
Am I missing something or can't it be changed?
The EPL-3 I used to own had pinpoint focus and I'm sure the focus box size could be changed.

Paul

George Dorn
4th July 2013, 06:41 AM
try this old thread (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21544) that I had bookmarked

Kiwi Paul
4th July 2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks, I managed to work it out with the comments in that thread you sent the link for.
It's not too bad, pressing the assigned Fcn button brings up the focus square and it can be moved about the evf or screen using the arrow pad, and maginified using the info button. Although I prefer using the method where a fcn button is assigned to bring up the focus squares and then using the arrow pad or dials the focus square can be positioned.
To be honest the Pany sys is much better and easier to use.

Paul

Ian
4th July 2013, 09:50 AM
You can also adjust the focus point size manually using the touch screen. Set the touch screen to touch focus mode (cycle the screen mode by pressing the mode icon on the left of the screen until it shows a touch focus symbol) touch the screen where you want to focus and on the right margin you will be able to move a slider up and down to adjust the size of the focus point.

You can also bring up the focus point grid and navigate around to select your point using the four-way controller. The focus grid is the West (9'o clock) aspect of the paddle by default. I'm fairly sure you can assign a fn button for this.

In my experience the Olympus UI has more flexibility than the Panasonic one but with it comes a steeper learning curve. But once you have worked it all out and become used to it I think it is more powerful.

Ian

Kiwi Paul
4th July 2013, 10:07 AM
You can also adjust the focus point size manually using the touch screen. Set the touch screen to touch focus mode (cycle the screen mode by pressing the mode icon on the left of the screen until it shows a touch focus symbol) touch the screen where you want to focus and on the right margin you will be able to move a slider up and down to adjust the size of the focus point.

You can also bring up the focus point grid and navigate around to select your point using the four-way controller. The focus grid is the West (9'o clock) aspect of the paddle by default. I'm fairly sure you can assign a fn button for this.Ian

Thanks Ian, sussed that out now, thats easier than assigning a button to do it.

Yes your second point about bringing up the focus grid is what I meant, I've assigned fcn 1 to bring up the grid then using the dials or arrow pad the focus point can be selected or put back to using the full set of focus targets.

Paul

Ross the fiddler
4th July 2013, 10:24 AM

You can also bring up the focus point grid and navigate around to select your point using the four-way controller. The focus grid is the West (9'o clock) aspect of the paddle by default. I'm fairly sure you can assign a fn button for this.

In my experience the Olympus UI has more flexibility than the Panasonic one but with it comes a steeper learning curve. But once you have worked it all out and become used to it I think it is more powerful.

Ian

That is what I was trying to describe (not that well) in the earlier thread & is what I use a lot (touch screen focus @ 14 X size selection box). It works well so long as there is sufficient contrast detail to focus on & can be cancelled to return to the original INFO screen by pressing the OK key.

BTW, if the touch screen focus point is selected, the size can be adjusted on the right as Ian said & also show the magnified view by touching the bottom right of the screen, but also the size can be changed by pressing the INFO key & then either of the wheels will change the size (I just discovered that now & pressing the INFO or OK key returns it to the last screen).

With the standard focus points selectable from the left < arrow key & the Info key, for selecting single, nine or all focus points, it is useful for other purposes than the fine focus area such as the X 14 magnification method (either by Fn key or Touch Screen), but I wish we had the small focus points of the E-PL5.