PDA

View Full Version : EM-5 and IBIS and OIS

Kiwi Paul
2nd July 2013, 07:37 PM
Can someone enlighten me which OIS takes priority if using Pany lenses with OIS on the EM5 with IBIS turned on.
I seem to remember reading something ages ago about it but can't remember what was said.
I know I can turn OIS off on the lens, but if I forget what happens?

Paul

GRAHAMJ
2nd July 2013, 07:51 PM
Hi Paul, You can only use one or the other. I forgot once and couldn't understand why the images were not sharp! They fight against each other. Try each way to see which you prefer.

Graham

Ross the fiddler
3rd July 2013, 04:50 AM
Can someone enlighten me which OIS takes priority if using Pany lenses with OIS on the EM5 with IBIS turned on.
I seem to remember reading something ages ago about it but can't remember what was said.
I know I can turn OIS off on the lens, but if I forget what happens?

Paul

It sounds like you're asking if one takes priority. If that is the case then I believe not & one of them needs to be turned off. There was talk (rumours) of software recognition to do that but that might have been just wishful thinking as it is two different companies (different) ideas of IS.

EDIT: It seems I am not so correct. *ohwell

StephenL
3rd July 2013, 08:00 AM
If a stabilised Panasonic lens which does not have an external switch is used on an Oly body, then the body stabilisation will be used (assuming it is turned on!). Otherwise you the photographer decide. Bear in mind that the E-M5 had 5 axis stabilisation, compared to 2 axis or in-lens.

Ian
3rd July 2013, 11:07 AM
Hi Paul, You can only use one or the other. I forgot once and couldn't understand why the images were not sharp! They fight against each other. Try each way to see which you prefer.

Graham

I don't think that is correct. If you fit an OIS lens to an Olympus body, if IS is on (camera) then IBIS will take priority.

On most Pens and the OM-D E-M5 you need a physical OIS/on-off switch on the lens to enable OIS (lens IS) to be used. And you need to switch IS off on the camera body. But the Pen E-PL5 and E-PM2 and the new E-P5 have menu options to activate lens OIS if there is no switch on the lens.

Ian

Ross the fiddler
3rd July 2013, 11:29 PM
I don't think that is correct. If you fit an OIS lens to an Olympus body, if IS is on (camera) then IBIS will take priority.

On most Pens and the OM-D E-M5 you need a physical OIS/on-off switch on the lens to enable OIS (lens IS) to be used. And you need to switch IS off on the camera body. But the Pen E-PL5 and E-PM2 and the new E-P5 have menu options to activate lens OIS if there is no switch on the lens.

Ian

I thought I had read that somewhere, but wasn't sure where. :rolleyes: