PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Olympus Full HD video to PAL DVD

silvergreen0
1st July 2013, 01:04 PM
Hi there, I am new on this forum.

I recently bought a OM-D E-M5. It is brilliant once you get to know how it works. I am fine on stills. However I also use my camera for video. I usually take the highest quality footage I can, edit it using Sony Vegas Movie Studio 11 and then create a DVD using Sony DVD Architect. This has always worked on my old Sony cameras and my Panasonic GH2. However I am having great difficulty with the footage from the E-M5. I understand the footage is shot at 29fps and I have tried various settings in Sony Vegas to try and maintain quality for the editing and rendering, but the resulting DVDs out of Sony DVD Architect are either very pixilated or the action judders along.

So my question is can anyone offer any advice on the workflow in the Sony products? Or maybe recommend software that you know is capable of producing good quality PAL DVDs from the Olympus Full HD video footage.

I should point out that Sony have not been able to offer any advice that has solved this issue.

Any help greatly recieved.

Thanks

jamsa
15th July 2013, 06:27 AM
I use magix movie edit pro. No problem.
The film rate of 29fps isn't up to the full HD 60fps I get with my hydrid camera but when you import the clip perhaps you need to tell studio not to render at 60fps and check the frame settings. It might be the default ones are the issue.

silvergreen0
15th July 2013, 06:45 AM
I use magix movie edit pro. No problem.
The film rate of 29fps isn't up to the full HD 60fps I get with my hydrid camera but when you import the clip perhaps you need to tell studio not to render at 60fps and check the frame settings. It might be the default ones are the issue.

Hi there

Thank you for your reply.

Can you just confirm that you are able to produce good quality PAL DVDs from 29fps video footage, and you are in the UK?

I have tried the following Sony Vegas render settings with no success i.e the edit is fine but the resulting PAL DVD quality is terrible.

"Use this setting for projects that you want to burn to DVD in 16:9 (widescreen) format.

Video: 720x576, 25.000 fps interlaced."

jamsa
15th July 2013, 07:04 AM
Yes, I have no problem with magix producing a good reproduction of what I expect...
But perhaps the algorithm used by Sony combined with the 25fps and frame is your problem.
Magix exports at a choice of rate and size to match Pal and Ntsc options.
Magix do a free to try version so you could give it a go.

silvergreen0
15th July 2013, 11:50 AM
Hi Jamsa

It is good at last to speak to someone that has had the same issue. And I wonder if I might ask you to help me a little more. I have installed the free trial version of Magix Edit Pro 2013 Premium

My input file is a .MOV file- 29.97 fps - 1980 x 1080 - 16:9 aspect ratio. The file is now in the timeline and I have made the clip a short one using the trimming tool. So moving to the burn sequence how would you advise on settings for a Pal DVD? I did have a go at this using the AVCHD option which produced a decent video and it played fine except when put on pause. On pause, any moving subject also has a ghost image, not on every frame but on most of them.

Any help would be most appreciated.

ps the Magix software looks pretty good.

jamsa
15th July 2013, 04:54 PM
Did you pause the software or the DVD?

silvergreen0
16th July 2013, 04:37 PM
Did you pause the software or the DVD?

Jamsa

I paused the DVD.

If I use the standard DVD option in Disc selection I get a video with a very fuzzy/blocky image. The quality is very low but there is no ghosting when the footage is paused.

Thanks

Racette0h
17th July 2013, 03:08 AM
Spam deleted

silvergreen0
17th July 2013, 06:57 AM
Thanks RACETTE0H, and I will have a look at your suggestion but I have an idea that the issue centres round the fact that I am using high frame rate footage as dictated by my camera (29.79 fps) and trying to write to DVD in the UK PAL format which I believe is more like 25fps. You guys in the US don't have this problem with NTSC?

Anyhow thanks again.

silvergreen0
25th July 2013, 06:45 AM
I have now fixed this thank you. Using Magix Movie Edit Pro, I write out the output DVD in AVCHD/Bluray format. This produces a good quality video that I can play on my Bluray player.

jamsa
25th July 2013, 01:58 PM
Nice one.....its stable software and not given me many problems in the past....sorry fr delay in replying...been on hols...