PDA

View Full Version : Getting PhotoShop to recognise ORF format files...?

theMusicMan
9th December 2007, 10:43 AM
Does anyone know how I do this please...? When I try to open an .ORF file directly with photoshop, PS tells me it does not recognise the format of the file and does not open it.

I'm on a Mac by the way.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa14/themouthpiecedotcom/window1.jpg

ianc
9th December 2007, 11:09 AM
You need to download adobe camera raw plugin from adobe.
Ian C.

Invicta
9th December 2007, 11:14 AM
Does anyone know how I do this please...? When I try to open an .ORF file directly with photoshop, PS tells me it does not recognise the format of the file and does not open it.

I'm on a Mac by the way.

Also need to check which version of Photoshop you are using. The latest cameras are only supported in CS3 not CS2. Not sure about which version of Elements support the new Oly's.

veggiesosage
9th December 2007, 11:19 AM
If you're using an older version of PS I'd suggest you get Adobe's DNG converter which is free. Convert all your ORF files to DNG and then any version of ACR will open them.

theMusicMan
9th December 2007, 11:23 AM
I have Photoshop CS2 v9. Guess that rules my E-3 out then eh!

DTD
9th December 2007, 01:59 PM
Notice you are using Leopard.

I've installed it on my laptop, but holding back on my desktop – waiting for Adobe to upgrade Acrobat Pro, which is one of my bread and butter applications.

Other than the files not being recognised, does PhotoShop work OK on Leopard?

theMusicMan
9th December 2007, 04:36 PM
Yup - no probs with running Photoshop CS2 on Mac OS Leopard. Works perfectly.

Paulpp
10th December 2007, 06:18 PM
Hi. I tried the option of converting to DNG in the hope that Photoshop CS2 would then open them, but no luck. Got a message something to the effect that CS2 would only open DNG files that are openable in the original application. Have I done something wrong?

padgreen
10th December 2007, 09:31 PM
Hello, haven't posted here before.

You're not doing anything wrong, there is something funny with Adobe's DNG converter.

I use an E1 and used to use Photoshop CS and Camera Raw 2.4 to process my E1 ORF files. I now use Lightroom and keep CS for the things that Lightroom can't do.

I've also mucked about a bit with the Adobe DNG converter. I found that if I use the latest version of the DNG converter, then Photoshop CS would not recognise the files created with it. However, if I use the version of the DNG converter that is downloadable with Camera Raw 2.4 (which is still on Adobe's web site), then Photoshop CS does read them.

To add to the confusion, if I use Lightroom to convert the files to DNG, then Photoshop CS would read them. So why won't Photoshop read them with the latest stand alone DNG converter?

I don't get this as DNG is meant to be a universal format.

I suggest you either use Lightroom as your raw developer and keep Photoshop for the things Lightroom can't do, OR download the version of the DNG that was available at the time of your version of Photoshop and use that to convert to DNG.

veggiesosage
10th December 2007, 09:40 PM
Odd. I use Elements 4 which isn't supposed to work with the latest ACR. Yet I ended up with a couple of RAW files from my play on the E3 so downloaded lates DNG converter and it converted them ok and PSE4 read them. Seems strange that CS would be fussier than Elements. :confused:

Paulpp
11th December 2007, 07:20 AM
Thanks - will try 2.4 (I presume you meant 4.2?), but in any event I guess that will not then convert E3 raw files.