PDA

View Full Version : Tripods

garethlovering
23rd August 2008, 09:08 PM
Does anybody have any views on the Manfrotto 190XPROB low level tripod.

Zuiko
23rd August 2008, 09:36 PM
Good question. It's one that's recently caught my eye as a possible lighter and more compact alternative to my Benbo Mk1. If anyone can make a comparrison between the aluminium and carbon fibre versions of the Manfrotto, even better. Also specifically, how flexible and stable is the multi-angle centre column and how prone is it to vibration?

Hope you don't mind me joining in your thread, Gareth, but I'm sure we'll both be grateful for any feedback we receive on this seemingly well designed and portable tripod.

DekHog
24th August 2008, 01:10 PM
I bought the new 190XPROB and a 486RC2 ball head a couple of months back - the tripod is fantastic, especially the centre column. I've used it quite a lot doing multiple exposures with HDR shots in mind, a couple of these times outdoors in windy conditions, and have had no problems with shake at all.

The tripod is very well built - probably built to last a lifetime I'd say. I've never really had any cause to use the centre column in anger, although I've 'played' with it to make sure it works as it should.

The XPROB isn't really the lightest tripod around, but the quality speaks for itself - adding the head really pushes the weight up, so you don't end up with the lightest tripod around, but you do end up with what is probably one of the most stable platforms for your needs.

I considered the carbon fibre version, but while it's twice the price, it's not nearly half the weight, plus you'd still have to add a head the same weight as on the standard XPROB.

I can highly recommend this tripod, but don't expect a lightweight little thing that you won't think twice about picking up to take out with you.

sapper
24th August 2008, 01:22 PM
I use this tripod with the Manfrotto 410 head. Tripod stable, head brilliant for precise positioning. I too considered the CF version but it in my book it is not worth the extra. If it were half the weight it would be. The centre column works just fine, that is one of the reasons I got it. It really does make it easier to get to ground level shots. Have to watch the balance though.
I also have the Manfrotto O55MF which is light for the size but I only use that one when I am using my oly 2.8 300mm lens, with a gimbal head.

Ian
24th August 2008, 02:40 PM
I have a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 with a 486RC2 head. It's very good indeed, though being carbon fibre it's quite expensive and there is plenty of competition. Of particular note is the Benro A-550EX Tripod/BH-1 Head Kit. It's similar in size and weight, but is aluminiumand costs just 80, though it doesn't have the horzontal centre column option. It was able to hold my E-3, HLD-4 grip and 90-250.

Ian