PDA

View Full Version : All you need to know about memory cards

Ian
18th June 2013, 04:32 PM
I hope this article published today will be useful:

Here is a summary or excerpt from an article that has just been published on DPNow:

http://dpnow.com/images/9243.jpg

The use of and the technology of flash memory cards is evolving very fast. If you feel a little lost when it comes to the what's-what now with memory cards, especially for cameras and smartphones, this article aims to help.

Click here to read the whole article... (http://dpnow.com/9243.html)

Ian

Ian
18th June 2013, 06:11 PM
By the way - if you have any questions about the memory cards, card readers, etc. - please don't hesitate to ask! :)

Ian

wanderer
18th June 2013, 09:08 PM
One wee thing. I have an SD reader built into my laptop. Any idea of the speed it is likely to run to?
Currently I am using 32Gb SDHC Sandisk Extreme Pro on my works camera N***n D800) and 16Gb on the E-5. On the former I get at least 800 raw files and on the latter I would suspect in excess of 1500 raw files but I've never got near the full capacity.
I used to worry about camera memory and now have about 70+Gb in my Oly kit but as my laptop usually comes along and I have a 1Tb hard drive available as backup. I am surely some where down the paranoia road.

Ian
18th June 2013, 09:52 PM
I have yet to come across a laptop sd card slot that is particularly fast. My laptop has USB 3.0 ports but the SD Card reader goes nowhere near as fast.

Ian

OM USer
19th June 2013, 11:27 AM
There are now USB 3.0 SDXC/UH1 card readers on the market (just search on Amazon). So the fastest way to get your files from camera to computer is to use a UH1 card and plug the card reader into a USB 3.0 port. It doesn't matter if your camera does not support UH1 (although the E-M5 does) as the camera will use the (class10) SD type inteface to write/read rather than the UH1 interface (a lower voltage higher speed interface using the same pins).

I have one such card reader (USpeed) but sadly it died after a few months use and I will have to find out about the lifetime guarantee - tricky as I threw away all the packaging.