PDA

View Full Version : Replacement LCD for OMD?

sharon3066
17th June 2013, 03:25 PM
Hi

Has anyone got any experience of replacing the LCD screen? I've smashed mine :( and have been quoted 4 weeks to get it repaired. However I can get a new screen from USA, and have a mobile phone repair guy who says he could fix it form me if he had a service manual or YouTube video to guide him.

Any advice would be warmly appreciated.

DekHog
17th June 2013, 03:46 PM
4 weeks?? Nothing like good customer service, eh? :eek:

I think you'll find camera service manuals much harder to come by than car service manuals..... not really something they like to have 'out in the wild.'

sharon3066
17th June 2013, 03:47 PM
I know - wouldn't believe it's aimed at working pro photographers:(

The Saint
17th June 2013, 04:50 PM
I smashed my LCD along with damaging multiple other parts on OM-D last year. I sent it off to Olympus and it did take them about 3 weeks to turn it around including sending me the quotation.

I guess it would be possible for a non-olympus engineer to install a new LCD, subject to having the right parts, but it could void the warranty (if they could prove you changed it).

Simon

sharon3066
17th June 2013, 04:55 PM
This one is a grey import anyway so warranties don't worry me too much!

Otto
17th June 2013, 05:24 PM
I can't offer any advice I'm afraid but I do feel the screen on the OM-D is rather vulnerable, the way it sits proud of the backplate. I've already put a hefty scratch in the screen protector I fitted from new, and I've just ordered two more. I would have much preferred the fully folding screen as per my E-620.

Good luck Sharon, I hope you find a quick solution.

If anyone's interested, the protectors I chose are by Golebo Crystal screen protector for Olympus OM-D E-M5: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-IeGNMN1L.@@AMEPARAM@@41-IeGNMN1L - very easy to fit and so far have protected the screen pretty well.

sharon3066
17th June 2013, 05:35 PM
Thanks otto - just ordered some more screen protectors actually - sadly they don't help when dropped onto concrete:rolleyes:

Ian
17th June 2013, 06:02 PM
In my experience repairs are often turned around by Olympus surprisingly quickly and the 4 week quote sounds unusually pessimistic. It could be that there is a parts shortage at the moment.

Ian

Zuiko
17th June 2013, 08:25 PM
I wonder if Luton Cameras could help? Might be worth an ask. :)

sharon3066
17th June 2013, 09:51 PM
Waiting for them to respond but another tog who has same problem has advised they are also quoting 4 week turnaround :(

David M
17th June 2013, 10:09 PM
Will Olympus repair it if it's a grey import?

sharon3066
17th June 2013, 10:10 PM
Probably not hence the alternative route lol :)

peak4
17th June 2013, 10:30 PM

I would have thought so as there is a 1 year international warranty, as opposed to the 2 year European one.
OK in this case a warranty wouldn't cover it due to accidental damage, but I can't imagine they would refuse a chargeable repair.

Footloose1949
17th June 2013, 10:37 PM
Olympus probably would ... as per whatever their price would be, for an out of warranty or damage due to negligence which would never be covered by the guarantee anyway!

PeterBirder
17th June 2013, 10:57 PM
I imagine that the turnround time at the moment both from Olympus and Luton cameras is due to a shortage of replacement LCD's. It's not long since Olympus decided to offer free replacements due to the "crack in the bezel" problem that got everyone excited recently and they will have had to get quite a lot of extra units manufactured.

Regards.*chr

Ian
18th June 2013, 10:09 AM

It doesn't look like Sharon will be going for a warranty repair, sadly. But even so I think as Olympus cameras have worldwide warranties Olympus UK would honour a warranty repair even if the camera was not supplied through them.

The same applies for non-warranty repairs I would think.

Ian

sharon3066
18th June 2013, 05:59 PM
I think I have a result

Luton camera repair :
OLED Screen: 127.81+vat
Labour: 50.00+vat
+ P&P

A more accurate estimate can be supplied after examination of the equipment.
Estimates are FREE, but a 8.00+vat charge is made for return postage.

Lead time 4 weeks
-OR

My favoured option: replacement screen and express delivery from USA 69

Labour 30inc from mobile phone repair guy following instructions found on micro 4/3 forum

Lead time 5 days ........

We will see if I have made an error in judgement or not!!

peak4
18th June 2013, 06:30 PM
My concern is that the £69 will increase, as parcels from the USA do tend to get examined my customs, so you might get Import Duty, VAT and a Royal Mail handling charge to add to that.
I think Olympus do fixed price repairs and you would have the advantage that the camera would probably get a good once over as well. Depending on how old it is, they might even find things wrong which you don't know about but are still covered by the warranty, even though they are charging you for the screen repair itself. Also the screen repair would in itself benefit from a 6 month warranty.
It depends if you can manage without the camera for 2-3 weeks.
I'd certainly give Olympus UK a call it it was me.
Depending on where you live in Lincolnshire, you could even save some transit time by delivering the camera directly to the DHL depot in Nottingham.
If it is less that 1 year old, and hence covered by the International Warranty, I'd send the lens in with it for a check up too if you bought a kit package.

sharon3066
18th June 2013, 10:59 PM
I absolutely agree with everything you say Bill - but the camera is(just) over a year old and I have several weddings within the next 3 weeks - and I cant hire an omd. I'm having to hire an epl 5 to give me a standby camera in addition to my other omd. On balance this is the fastest route I can think of and if it doesn't work ... Well it will have to go to olympus or the scrap heap!!

peak4
18th June 2013, 11:53 PM
Does Ian have an OM-D available?
Alternatively, there is one for sale on this forum. Yes it' s £600, but if you buy it with a view to re-sale, even via ebay, it would probably be cheaper than the hire charge for the period whilst yours is on its holiday in Portugal. Just a thought, buy and re-sell is often an option that folks don't initially consider; good luck.

sharon3066
22nd June 2013, 08:21 AM
Well got the oled screen ok without import costs and replaced fine. Sadly it appears sensor has broken as well as there is still purple banding on the screen which is coming through onto the images. So it still needs to be sent off.

On the plus side the screen is fixed at less than half the price and in just 4 days from ordering it:) hey ho :/

sharon3066
22nd June 2013, 08:22 AM
And Ian didn't have another omd so I'm using a epl5 as a second body at today's wedding !

mo_xime
23rd August 2014, 12:53 PM
I think I have a result

Luton camera repair :
OLED Screen: 127.81+vat
Labour: 50.00+vat
+ P&P

A more accurate estimate can be supplied after examination of the equipment.
Estimates are FREE, but a 8.00+vat charge is made for return postage.

Lead time 4 weeks
-OR

My favoured option: replacement screen and express delivery from USA 69

Labour 30inc from mobile phone repair guy following instructions found on micro 4/3 forum

Lead time 5 days ........

We will see if I have made an error in judgement or not!!

Hi

I have cracked the screen on my e m5. Do you remember where you found instructions for the repair? Do you think it is easy not to temper with the weather sealing?

Wally
23rd August 2014, 04:10 PM
Having read through this thread I'm definitely of the opinion that Olympus missed a trick on not using the fully articulated screen as fitted the e-3?

Ive been toying with the idea of a Stylus 1, but now I'm not so sure.

Wondering what is in the pipeline on the Stylus front?

Ricoh
23rd August 2014, 06:47 PM
The way the 2nd hand value of the EM5 is going, it makes a repair cost approaching £200 uneconomical. I don't know where it will bottom, but there's lots of used examples for less than £300, many at £250.

Peter_Hartland
23rd August 2014, 08:44 PM
Grr so annoying I had a link on Ebay to buy replacement screens for both the EM5 & EM1. I replaced a friends took around 20mins thats all, you need a good drew driver set from Maplins. I I find the link I'll post it.

Peter_Hartland
23rd August 2014, 08:48 PM
Found it, phone them up or send e-mail to confirm correct screen

Screen Replacement (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Screen-Display-Fit-Olympus-U600-U700-U710-U720-U725-/200353358319?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item2ea5fda1ef)

mo_xime
23rd August 2014, 10:00 PM
You seem to know your way around. How do you identify the screws?

Ross the fiddler
23rd August 2014, 10:52 PM
Having read through this thread I'm definitely of the opinion that Olympus missed a trick on not using the fully articulated screen as fitted the e-3?

Ive been toying with the idea of a Stylus 1, but now I'm not so sure.

Wondering what is in the pipeline on the Stylus front?

Whatever screen it has, I would put a protector screen on. It has saved my cameras from some deep scratches.