PDA

View Full Version : IInteresting afternoon with goole image search

sponner
16th June 2013, 03:22 PM
As I had nothing better to do (household chores never count as better) I spent an unproductive hour or so running some of my stock images through Google image search.

I found over 100 websites using my images, it's always interesting to see how they are being used.

I also found the usual depressing number of illegal uses, mainly on non-commercial blogs so I wasn't too fussed.

I was a bit surprised to find a watermarked image on a campaign website for the recent local elections.

I emailed the councillor, who to his credit, immediately apologised and purchased a licence for the image from my site for £15.

Happy days!

Zuiko
16th June 2013, 05:09 PM
Shows it's always worth pursuing these matters! :)

David M
16th June 2013, 06:27 PM
When there was money in stock photography I had a clause in my contracts saying the agencies couldn't license my images for political use.

Given a politician had stolen the image I'd have quadrupled my normal rate rather than doubling or tripling.

Melaka
16th June 2013, 06:32 PM
Does this only work for stock images or would it show up somebody who'd lifted a pic from this forum? If so, how does one set about it please?

David M
16th June 2013, 06:52 PM
It works for any image online that Google has indexed.

Benedict
16th June 2013, 07:29 PM
I tried this out www.images.google.com/ but when I pasted in the link from my Flickr photostream I get the following message from Google :

The URL doesn't refer to an image, or the image is not publicly accessible.

I don't quite understand what is going wrong - can anyone advise

Thankyou

sponner
16th June 2013, 09:20 PM
Benedict,

open the page who's url you have linked above in one window.

In another browser window (not tab) open the page which contains the image you want to search for and drag it into the search box in the other window. Drop it and it will search for that image.

You can also save the search as a bookmark which allows searching directly from any image ona page you are viewing but I have forgotten how I did that!

sponner
16th June 2013, 11:56 PM
this seems to work well with firefox adding right click google image search to any page

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/google-similar-images/

sponner
16th June 2013, 11:59 PM
I just love what you turn up with this thing

http://www.countryside-alliance.org/ca/north-news/north-of-england-police-commissioners

More politics!
(the picture of the bobby is mine with the rural background added)

sponner
17th June 2013, 12:21 AM
Deleted as I think I got it wrong

Benedict
17th June 2013, 08:00 PM
I am running IE10 on Windows 7 - but it doesn't work for me unfortunately.

UPDATE - Now sorted thanks