PDA

View Full Version : If you are on Facebook, can you help?

Ian
14th June 2013, 09:15 AM
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com) is basically the platform-agnostic parent site for the e-group here and Four Thirds User (fourthirds-user.com).

I am trying to get more people connected to DPNow via a Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/DPNowblog

If you are on Facebook, I'd appreciate it if you could take a look and perhaps 'like' the page and share any updates that take your fancy so some of your Facebook friends can discover DPNow :)

Ian

Ian
14th June 2013, 11:32 AM
Seeing some activity - thanks! More the merrier :)

Ian

theMusicMan
14th June 2013, 02:16 PM
Of course I will Ian :), doing so now.

EDIT: Aha... I see I had already 'liked' it :)

Ian
14th June 2013, 02:43 PM
John - you're an early adopter! :D

Don't forget to share any posts that you appreciate!

Ian

Zuiko
14th June 2013, 03:47 PM
As much as it pains me to use Facecrook, I've just visited and liked. Even made a comment whilst I was there! :D

Ian
14th June 2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks John - Facebook is not perfect but it is very useful and you don't have to pay up front for it.

Ian

Benedict
14th June 2013, 04:58 PM
Like Zuiko I am not a FB lover - but I have visited and liked / comented :)

Graham_of_Rainham
14th June 2013, 05:20 PM
I've "shared" it with a link to the main site as well on the Barking Photographic Society FB Group Page.

BPS FaceBook Group (http://www.facebook.com/groups/307144786003085/)

*chr

Zuiko
14th June 2013, 06:01 PM
Thanks John - Facebook is not perfect but it is very useful and you don't have to pay up front for it.

Ian

Yes, I know that a lot of people find Facebook useful and some businesses even find it essential, but it just doesn't do much for me. It's probably an age thing; my daughter is seldom off it. I probably haven't learnt how to get the best from it because I find the layout confusing and all a bit random. Forums such as this are really my social network.

Having said that, next weekend I'm participating in a 24 hour photo shoot arranged by Advanced Photographer magazine, hopefully with a few others from this forum, and the organizers intend to keep everyone updated with what is happening and where via twitter and facebook. I can appreciate how useful that is and almost wish I had an iphone! :rolleyes:

Ian
14th June 2013, 06:06 PM
We got up to 100 likes - thanks everyone!

Ian

Zuiko
14th June 2013, 06:19 PM
We got up to 100 likes - thanks everyone!

Ian

And there is still room for more! :D

Incidentally, does the number of likes have a practical advantage such as moving the page up in the ratings or make it more visible in some way? :)

Ian
14th June 2013, 06:26 PM
Every time you respond to something on Facebook, that thread of posts will be visible to your own friends and followers. This includes page likes.

With just a few likes hundreds of people or even more could be connected to the page - at least temporarily.

Ian

Zuiko
14th June 2013, 06:29 PM
Every time you respond to something on Facebook, that thread of posts will be visible to your own friends and followers. This includes page likes.

With just a few likes hundreds of people or even more could be connected to the page - at least temporarily.

Ian

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining that, Ian. Obviously in my case it would help if I had a few more Facebook friends!

peak4
14th June 2013, 08:35 PM
Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining that, Ian. Obviously in my case it would help if I had a few more Facebook friends!

Friend request duly sent :)

Don't expect to see much posted by me though.

Zuiko
14th June 2013, 08:58 PM
Friend request duly sent :)

Don't expect to see much posted by me though.

Thanks, Bill, I've accepted (I think!) You won't see me much on there either! :)

Phill D
14th June 2013, 09:21 PM
Sorry FB is beyond my cyber knowledge at present so I'll have to get the kids to clue me in. Haven't found a need for it so far so never bothered to find out how it works :o

Kittykat23uk
15th June 2013, 10:43 AM
I have liked your page too.

macmcgill
15th June 2013, 11:45 AM
Hopefully I clicked the right bits, and its on googleplus as well

Ian
15th June 2013, 12:29 PM
Thanks all - I have a Google+ account but haven't started using it yet!

Ian

LMGruchy
17th June 2013, 05:39 PM
I have Liked.

Ian
18th June 2013, 06:08 PM
Thanks to everyone who liked the DPNow Blog facebook page you did this:

http://dpnow.com//files/fb_blog_stats.PNG

Nice! :)

Ian

Janet
18th June 2013, 07:35 PM
I "liked" it some time ago, but I must admit I've disabled notifications as I was fed up with too much clutter in my news feed...

Not that DP Now is giving me too much clutter...I just try to keep my news feed for friends and family and look at all my other "liked" pages as and when I feel the need.

Facebook is very good if you keep it under control!

Janet

ian p
30th July 2013, 09:12 PM
It didn't work. What's the password?
Or is this a scam?

Zuiko
30th July 2013, 10:07 PM
It didn't work. What's the password?
Or is this a scam?

Hi Ian, and welcome. :)

Which part didn't work? I've just tested the link in Ian's opening post and it opens his DPNow blog facebook page. Did you get that far? :)

ian p
30th July 2013, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I did get to a page. I thought I had to click on "like". Then it asked me for a password and my birth date and I panicked.

Zuiko
30th July 2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I did get to a page. I thought I had to click on "like". Then it asked me for a password and my birth date and I panicked.

Ah, maybe you weren't signed into facebook?

ian p
30th July 2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks. Yes. Why would it ask for my birth date? Which is what I found suspicious.

Zuiko
30th July 2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks. Yes. Why would it ask for my birth date? Which is what I found suspicious.

Yes, I do agree that is unusual, maybe facebook was using that information as a security question. Do you use facebook regularly or haven't you been on it for a while? Personally, in that type of situation I would tend to play safe and not bother (I'm not a great fan of facebook anyway). But it is a valid link.

ian p
31st July 2013, 07:46 AM
Thanks. It had sounded easy, but I'll give up. I wasn't sure what it was supposed to do. But I thought I'd help anyway.