PDA

View Full Version : E-M5 Firmware 1.7

StephenL
12th June 2013, 08:26 AM
Apologies if everyone's already seen this but me, but ....

I connected to Olympus Updater to update my newly-acquired Panasonic 12-35. I was surprised to see that the firmware for my camera body was out-of-date.

It was showing version 1.6, and telling me that 1.7 was the latest.

Apparently this is simply to allow for the use of the VF-4, but I updated anyway, just in case. Went through quickly, as did the lens update.

CJJE
12th June 2013, 08:34 AM
Thanks Stephen... I hadn't heard anything about this new update before. Although I'm planning to buy the VF-4 for my E-P3, I wasn't thinking of putting it on the E-M5! Although it has a higher resolution than the E-M5 viewfinder and tilts upwards, I'd rather use the normal viewfinder or tilting screen I think :-) I wonder if there are some other unadvertised benefits to the update?

Presumably there'll be an update for the E-P3 as well... I'd better check when I get the VF-4.

Edit: Yes there's an update for all the Pens except the E-P1 released today! The E-P3's is to take the VF-4, but also improves the stability of the LCD screen in playback mode, so there may be other extras too.

StephenL
12th June 2013, 09:12 AM
To be honest, I had toyed with the idea of trying a VF-4 on my E-M5, when SRS get them in, to see if there is a vast improvement.

brian1208
12th June 2013, 11:28 AM
me too, I'll let you go first and you tell us if its worthwhile :D

Ross the fiddler
12th June 2013, 12:53 PM
I think I'll actually pass on this one unless someone finds something else that might be better in the 1.7 update besides the VF-4 use. I would like the newer AF algorithms of the E-P5 that is supposed to improve the AF speed with some 4/3's lens with anything else being unlikely, which would be kept for the next OM-D.

StephenL
12th June 2013, 01:03 PM
I am always hopeful that "they" slip something untold into these updates, so I never refuse them!