PDA

View Full Version : Brand new camera - broken?

poledancer
22nd August 2008, 06:30 AM
The E-510 is the first DSLR we have had, I bought it for my wife as a gift, we put it together as per the instructions and took a few pictures using both kit lenses - even though it looks fine in live view everything comes out like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/skoobadude/junk.jpg

We have tried formatting the memory card and resetting the factory settings.

Any ideas?

I've got a Sandisk CF and an Olympus XD both fitted in the camera - same results with both cards.

It's a real pain as Olympus said to send it back to the dealer (though they weren't very interested when I phoned them, the first Olympus "techie" was really rude too :( ) - trouble is I bought the camera for my wife when she was ill and in and out of hospital as something to look forward to, she didn't want to set it up until she got better (now 3 months later) best we can hope for from the dealer (ebuyer) is a manufacturer repair as we didn't check it within 28 days of purchase - how long is that going to take??? What a pain. :(

Just thought I'd check the forums as we users often have more answers than the manufacturers :)

I've contacted ebuyer, it has been referred to their tech support, I have to ohone them to get the return approved - I guess I just would have liked the Olympus tech support to be a bit more "bothered"... :\

tlove
22nd August 2008, 07:04 AM
Oh dear - you have my deepest, deepest sympathy :(:(!

Looks like a camera problem to me. I would have thought that the camera should be covered by Olympus warranty - whatever the circumstances it's only 3 months old? If you bought it new, you have rights under consumer legislation I'd have thought, so don't take any nonsense from them - you can insist on a replacement if the dealer you got it from is based in this country.

It might be worth sending a Private Message (on this website) to Ian, who is the site moderator, and ask for his advice. He may not thank me for this, but he is very knowledgeable and helpful on all things Olympus, and was very supportive when I had a problem with my E-3. He may be able to advise you, but I don't know where he is at present so he could take a while to reply.

I hope it all works out for you.

geirsan
22nd August 2008, 07:28 AM
Seems to me you met the wrong guy at Olympus. Why not call back again, and if you get the same treatment ask to talk with their boss?
It sometimes has to do with hitting the wrong guy.
You could even tell them you call back because of the rude treatment. If you meet the same guy, tell him!

poledancer
22nd August 2008, 07:47 AM
I'm sure it'll work out in the end, whether a repair or replacement - ebuyers phone lines open in 10 mins :)

It's just really annoying - I spent ages researching this for the Mrs and she wanted to keep it as a special treat for when she felt up to it :(

I was just a bit shocked by the first Olympus guy, he wouldn't listen to me at all and said it was obviously just user error and he couldn't possibly help me - all I had to do was keep pressing the "info" button until the graphics obscuring the image went away :rolleyes:, he wasn't interested in anything I had to say at all (I have phoned them back since and got a much better guy who was really helpful, I emailed him images and he reckons the sensor is toast).

RogerMac
22nd August 2008, 07:49 AM
I am going to ask a stupid question - Were you using flash? If so check the settings.

The reason I ask is that this sort of partial exposure is typical of flash used at the wrong shutter speed, when the frame is only partially exposed.

In the (much more likely) event that you were not then you can download a returns form from the Oly website and send it back immediately.

Roger

poledancer
22nd August 2008, 08:04 AM
With or without flash, inside or out, with either lens or either card - the result is the same :(

On hold with ebuyer now :)

poledancer
22nd August 2008, 08:13 AM
Ebuyer were cool :) They've authorised the replacement and will send me a new one as soon as this one is back with them :)

poledancer
29th August 2008, 05:50 PM
Collected the camera on wednesday, authorised the replacement today, should have the new one early next week - I must say I'm chuffed to bits with ebuyer, I've been treated like crap by other online stores, they've been really excellent. :)

StephenL
29th August 2008, 06:27 PM
Good to hear a personal recommendation based on experience, even though it's a shame you had a problem. Good luck with the new camera!

Makonde
29th August 2008, 06:31 PM
It's kinda worrying though. I got my Oly about seven weeks ago and now think I was lucky it's OK. In the meantime I've joined several forums, this is about the fifth or sixth case I've read about where a new Olympus camera has been defective (E3's and E5**s).

I thought we'd long ago got out of the period when you had to wonder about the reliability of a new electronic product, especially from a Japanese company (I know they are all made in China these days). Are those days returning? Not good.

Westy
29th August 2008, 07:18 PM
Doesn't matter what brand you will always get a % that are duff from new that's why we have warranty's.Every camera will not be checked ,just a % in each batch.
The trouble is you rarely get the many thousands who are satisfied with their goods saying so on-line,its just the unfortunate few that vent their understandable frustration on the forums.Lets just hope she gets her new camera quickly.*yes

gno
29th August 2008, 07:42 PM
I've used ebuyer too and found them very quick and very competitive on price, so far have not had any trouble with items purchased.

poledancer
29th August 2008, 08:09 PM
Even better - just got an email, it's been dispatched for delivery on Monday :) :) :)

Ellie
30th August 2008, 10:15 PM
How disappointing for you, but good for Ebuyer to deal with the problem quickly.

You'll really enjoy your new camera when it arrives :)