PDA

View Full Version : Broken 50-200mm lens

benvendetta
6th June 2013, 12:39 PM
As some of you may be aware my 50-200 (non SWD) decided to fall apart part way through our holiday on the western side of the United States a couple of weeks ago.
I have three tiny screws from it and was thinking about trying to reassemble it. I have lots of other tiny screws from canera gear that has died in the past so if I have lost any there won't be a problem.
Does anyone have any experience of taking apart or reassembling this lens (or similar) and what, if any pitfalls I am likely to encounter? For instance I don't know if the screws that I have actually held the lens together given that these are obviously from deep inside its bowells.
Or should I just claim on my insurance.............?

Ian
6th June 2013, 01:14 PM
Dave - fingers crossed I can get this fixed for you. Will send you a PM shortly.

Ian

David M
6th June 2013, 09:18 PM
It's not the first time I've heard of the original 50-200 falling apart so there may be instructions online.

peak4
6th June 2013, 11:57 PM
It's not the first time I've heard of the original 50-200 falling apart so there may be instructions online.

I didn't find any, but Olympus were kind enough to repair mine for me even though it was well out of warranty. :)

David M
7th June 2013, 12:12 AM
I thought I'd seen instructions online but that was years ago and after I'd sold mine so I didn't pay much attention.

Ian
7th June 2013, 08:34 AM
Dave's lens is going to be sorted out by Olympus :)

Ian