PDA

View Full Version : E-M5 for 589!

brianvickers
4th June 2013, 05:45 PM
Did you know you can get an E-M5 body for 589 from Simply Electronics....thats a very good price!
(I'm not associated with them in any way....just astounded at their price)

sapper
4th June 2013, 06:20 PM
That's dirt cheap. Wonder if it is from the far east?

RogerRamjet
4th June 2013, 06:32 PM
Good price. They appear to be Hong Kong based if that is a factor in choosing to use them. Not sure where they ship from, or what the guarantee situation would be.

daved
4th June 2013, 07:03 PM
They are in HK. Check http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2195149 for some anecdotal evidence as to their service and ethos.
My own person experience with ordering from HK & China (anywhere outside the EU really) is that it can be OK for cheap accessories - officially under about £30 (but I have got away with not paying extra charges up to well over £50), I think - because customs can't be bothered, but anything costing more runs the risk of costing more than buying from a UK supplier.
Anything majhor purchase will attract VAT, customs duty and a handling charge of about £8.

brian1208
4th June 2013, 07:05 PM
I've been put off using them by consistently less than positive feedback reviews

as here: http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.simplyelectronics.net

Phill D
4th June 2013, 07:20 PM
Interesting I'd always thought they were UK and have been very tempted to use them in the past. Can't find anything on the website that says HK. BUT there is a bit that suggests if you are charged duty then they will pay it? So presumably they are overseas. Think I'll definitely be careful in the future having read this thread.

brianvickers
4th June 2013, 08:09 PM
Well I have used them, I bought a Canon 24-105 then an E-P1 17mm + 14-42 kit and I had no problems. They do ship in from the Far East as I understand it but if you phone them they are up-front about it. They do have ISO9001 quality standard. The warranty is 1 year rather than two. The only issue I have is if they say they have an item in stock then that might not mean in the UK so delivery could be around a week . I'd have no problem using them but neither will I be their guarantor.

RogerRamjet
4th June 2013, 08:14 PM
The terms and conditions on the site shows a HK address. Only place I could find it

RogerRamjet
4th June 2013, 08:16 PM
Brian did they ship to you from a UK warehouse or direct from HK?

daved
4th June 2013, 08:17 PM
It's not what happens when things go right that is the problem (and it's good to hear you had a satisfactory experience), it's what happens when things go wrong. Given sufficent annecdotal evidence it is then up to the prospective purchaser to make their own minds up by weighing up the pro and cons.

Wreckdiver
4th June 2013, 08:26 PM
There is also SLR Hut (http://slrhut.co.uk/product/ID927C5/google?gclid=CP_Uyu6dy7cCFZQZtAodNiIABw) selling for a tenner more.

Steve

brianvickers
4th June 2013, 08:31 PM
Daved, I totally agree,
Roger It was nearly 2 years ago, I got the impression it was shipped from a location in the south east, and I think I spoke to them on the phone and I definitely got the impression it was someone in the UK I was talking to. I think there may be too much fear - especially with canon goods where people get upset about the colour of a box which denote a UK or Import version with a 20% price difference - whereas B&H in the USA list both versions side by side with a small price difference. People in HK must get their kit from there - including Kai, Lok and Alsmbi on DigitalRevTV. I'd just use a credit card for extr protection if concerned. Their 17mm f1.8 is about £60 cheaper than UK prices...I might be tempted!

David Morison
4th June 2013, 08:33 PM
I recently ordered a Tokina lens from them which never arrived. After several excuses, including that the lens had been damaged in transit from their suppliers (this happened twice!) I decided to cancel. This took another two weeks to execute and I've still not seen any evidence of the money in my account yet. At present I have complained to Trading Standards and if I don't get the money in the next week I will be applying for chargeback through Visa. So keep away from them!

David

daved
4th June 2013, 08:37 PM
Brian
Be careful. Your £60 bonus could easily turn into VAT, import and customs charges.

brianvickers
4th June 2013, 08:48 PM
I've just had a search on the internet and it doesn't look good.
they did have ISO9001 Quality Certification when I looked last, I even checked it out with UKAS - but I cant find reference to it now!
I agree...this looks like a much more riskier proposition than when I used them last.

jamsa
5th June 2013, 01:50 PM
I recently ordered a Tokina lens from them which never arrived. After several excuses, including that the lens had been damaged in transit from their suppliers (this happened twice!) I decided to cancel. This took another two weeks to execute and I've still not seen any evidence of the money in my account yet. At present I have complained to Trading Standards and if I don't get the money in the next week I will be applying for chargeback through Visa. So keep away from them!

David

I had similar problems and it took three months of complaining to get any money back...I ordered a stock item but was then told it was not in stock...will never use them again.

CJJE
5th June 2013, 04:57 PM
I used them some years ago to buy a Canon EOS 40D when it was first launched (it wasn't in stock with my usual suppliers - Park Cameras). They didn't provide the extra battery I'd ordered, and the camera was delivered with the menus reading either Japanese or Chinese! The invoice quoted an address in Belfast and I got no replies when I complained. Trading Standards reckoned the Belfast address was a residential tower block, just being used as a post box address.

Once bitten twice shy!!

Chris