PDA

View Full Version : E-PL5 Battery Hungry

terryw
2nd June 2013, 04:11 PM
I've been using my E-PL5 since February and am well pleased with it except for the way it motors through batteries. I only get 120-130 shots off before the little orange message informs me that the battery is flat.

I have tried restricting how much I fire up the main screen and I use an EVF-2for viewing. It also shuts down after about 30 secs to save on drain.

Is it my camera or is any one else having the same problem? I've just ordered a second spare battery to ensure that I can have a decent shooting session without the frustration of having to shut up shop.

Terry :confused:

Graham_of_Rainham
2nd June 2013, 04:33 PM
I've not noticed any such problem. I too use the VF-2 and I hardly ever look at the images on the screen.

Google "Olympus E-PL5 Battery life" and most are saying how good it is.

The spare battery is a must for any camera.

mike_j
2nd June 2013, 04:43 PM
Well I only have the OM-D but it eats up batteries far too quickly. Perhaps the answer for me is to shoot less, shoot better?

I do find that I have a tendency to shoot far, far, too many indifferent/bad shots with the OM-D compared with the clunky old Leica M8 where each shot is considered individually.

vchaney
2nd June 2013, 08:24 PM
Do you have autofocus always on? That's does drain the battery and has an impact irrespective of number of shots taken. You can disable it in the menus.

gregles
2nd June 2013, 10:18 PM
I cant say I have been disappointed with the battery life of the epl5 at all.

I purchased two aftermarket batteries, from the bay, for just under 8 a few months back and they have been excellent too;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350535383258?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Greg

terryw
3rd June 2013, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback peoples.

Unfortunately nobody has quoted a number against their satisfaction with battery charge life. To give me a point of reference would you all mind providing a range so that when I fiddle with settings I'm not looking to acheive the impossible?

Many thanks in advance of your support.

Terry

mike_j
3rd June 2013, 10:53 AM
As a ball park figure 100-150 but there are too many variables to give a precise answer. I get a lot more when machine gunning macro shots of insects than when taking individual shots, reviewing them, checking the histogram etc.

Friends with what they call 'grown up' cameras seem to get 300+

terryw
3rd June 2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the reply Mike. It looks as though your OM-D is as hungry as my EPL-5, considered shots or not. I know what you mean about "grown-up" cameras since my E-1 and E-30 return around 300 shots before the battery finally registers empty.

Terry

byegad
22nd October 2013, 07:42 PM
Yes my E-PL5 will shoot 200+ photos over 3-4 hours of long range use with the 4/3 70-300 telephoto lens and Eye-Fi uploading every shot as it is taken. Turn off the Eye-fi and that becomes 400+ shots.